Quantcast

Cromo frames and corrosion?

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
Has anyone had problems with their steel frames and rust? I am worried about rust spots spreading beyond paint scratches etc. and eventually compromising some weld somewhere. I don't want a big scrape to start the clock ticking on a new frame of mine. I ride mostly in dry conditions but occasionally somewhere somehow my bike ends up wet and muddy.

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
what i do when i ride, when i'm done i use the air from a compressor to get inside the frame and the bb and headset and everything...my bmx has a little rust, i would rag dry then compress it..it isn't too bad..but nothing a grind job wouldn't fix, but thats worst comes to worst.

oh and degreaser, coke works awesome to remove and prevent rust!

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Clear nail polish or touch up paint on the scratches.

Treat inside the frame esp the seattube with something like weigle's framesaver, linseed oil or bioshield.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Even using a spray of WD-40 or GT85 inside the frame is a great way to ward off rust. However I've owned a lot of steel frames which have seen a lot of abuse over the years, and simply keeping them in a warm dry environment (inside your house) is a good start.

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
hey i'm in your profile bjanga, anyways, wd40 will just attract dust which would be another problem..keep yer bike in your garage or house where there is less exposure to the enviroment...definately air it out with a compressor

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
it's mostly just surface rust. it would/will take a very long time for it to effectively do anything structural. just clean it up and don't worry about it so much.

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
yeah, indieboy has a point, though he is worried about rust in general, though exterior rust could hurt it structurally in a matter of time.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
habitatxskate said:
yeah, indieboy has a point, though he is worried about rust in general, though exterior rust could hurt it structurally in a matter of time.
he stated he was worried about it spreading to the weld. which means he's worried about structural damage.

and a matter of time is like - 10/15 yr range. most ppl tend to not keep bikes that long.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
indieboy said:
it's mostly just surface rust. it would/will take a very long time for it to effectively do anything structural. just clean it up and don't worry about it so much.
I strip and re-powder my frames nearly every year. So the rust is cleaned and if properly powdercoated, the surface is sealed until you rub or scratch through it.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
I own 4 old, high-end steel bikes, and not one has had any special "anti-rusting" preparations. Not one has problems with rust. The amount of rust it would take to structurally weaken a frame is an enormous quantity. Worry less about rust, ride more.

Jun 18, 2004
all I know from working in the ship yard is that ospho rust inhibitor and grey rustoleum primer is the only non-toxic thing that will seal treated corrosion... but that's steel in salt water...

but the only bike part I've ever used that on is a pair of chromo freeride cranks that were used for 3 years in the PNW...

I would think that, not unlike snowboard edges, whipping down bare metal is best... and if you fully submerse it then blow out the tubes!