Quantcast

Cross country moving

brenth

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Santa Monica
ok I figured this would get more notice as a new thread instead of my other "moving to cali" thread.

Anyone have moving advice for moving from texas to santa monica? ( route, places to see on the way, places to avoid, good moving trucks/companies/etc..).

We are going to leave friday ( 11th), and I start work the following wedsday (16th). We will have no cars and could problally be fine with a 15" uhaul or ryder. My biggest problem with a uhaul it would be my wife, our three cats, and myself in the cab. I know uhauls have a bench seat, which is no good ( no place for cat cages), and budget and ryder/penske have bucket seats with an area in the middle that we might be able to fit cat carriers, but it would be tight. I'm not sure what to do. any help appricated. :D

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Oh yah, Sedona FOR SURE!

Good question - where can I get dog tranquilizers? Do I have to get them from a vet?

Anyone?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
just strap the cats to the top of the cab or put them in the back:confused: they should be fine.

make sure you see Kansas. That place ruleZZZZZZZZ

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by BurlySurly
just strap the cats to the top of the cab or put them in the back:confused: they should be fine.

make sure you see Kansas. That place ruleZZZZZZZZ
LOL - That's not even on the way!

I know you were being sarcastic anyway.:rolleyes:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Originally posted by Heidi
Oh yah, Sedona FOR SURE!

Good question - where can I get dog tranquilizers? Do I have to get them from a vet?

Anyone?
Yes, you can get them from your vet.

edo-chan

Chimp
Aug 9, 2002
sunny Gresham
Yes, you can get tranquilizers from your vet, but I strongly recommend you not use them. I have taken cats cross-country several times, and the only bad trip was when I gave them downers; I think the effect of the drugs makes the whole thing scarier for them.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Originally posted by edo-chan
Yes, you can get tranquilizers from your vet, but I strongly recommend you not use them. I have taken cats cross-country several times, and the only bad trip was when I gave them downers; I think the effect of the drugs makes the whole thing scarier for them.
I have only used them with dogs. A beagle that was scared of thunderstorms, and a bluetick coonhound that would bark non-stop in the car. A beautiful sounding bark, but not for three+ hours in your ear. It just made him a little groggy.

The cats that I have encountered that were given tranquilizers at the vet clinics I have worked at did seem to be a little more freaked out when they had traveled for an extended period of time.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
The U-Haul we rented to move my girlfriend (now wife) back to CO from CA had a little hatch door between the cab & the cargo area. We let the cat just hang out in back and when she wanted to come into the cab she could.

Oh - and animal tranquilizers must be gotten from a vet, because apparently they're *real* drugs - as in people will take them to get stoned, so they're regulated pretty tightly.

-S.S.-

edo-chan

Chimp
Aug 9, 2002
sunny Gresham
stevew

I agree, dogs are more receptive to the downers--they're on your team to begin with and know that you, the alpha, will freak if anything is actually wrong.

Kitties think more like, "It feeds us, yet it takes us to the vet. I've fought and killed its hand, yet its hand lives. I sleep on its head, yet its wisdom eludes me. I'm high on opiates and in a car, I have to meow as many times as possible to make it stop."

Add that to, "We're in a motel room; if I draw enough blood I will be magically transported home," and, "I'm going explode diarrhea while sprinting through a car going 80 in traffic and see what happens."

Keep cats sober during transport.