Quantcast

Cross Crusaders #4-6

Ridemonkey.com

News & Reviews
Jun 26, 2009

An in depth and entertaining rundown of the antics at this years Astoria Halloween cyclocross race, as well as two more from the Cross Crusade series.
---

Words and Photos By Brett Leulling

Most cyclists prefer to avoid the rain; most of the year I despise riding in the rain and will avoid it if possible. From September to December I pray for rain and hope for the foulest weather possible. The cyclocross gods came through the last two weekends and provided rain, which made for good racing.

The Men A series is coming down to a battle between Molly Cameron (Portland Bicycle Studio) and Sean Babcock (Team S&M). Babcock won the second race and Cameron won the third race. Six of eight races count for the series and this is shaping up to be an epic battle for the series title.

Cyclocross riders hath no fear of rain.

Race #4, Washington County Fairgrounds
In the week leading up to Cross Crusade #4 the Portland area had been experiencing frequent rain showers. Upon arriving at the venue racers were greeted with cold, wet conditions. The course at the Washington County fairgrounds isn’t particularly technical; the course is completely flat with no hairy descents or nasty run ups.

The previous year we raced in similar conditions; this year turned out to be much different than the previous year. The course was very slick and this made the tight corners especially treacherous. The course had one section of deep mud that was problematic for many racers throughout the day.

Right from the start the pace was fast. I slotted in around 18th on the gravel road, while the favorites took up their position at the front. As we came into the slick corners on the course I noticed that many riders were jamming their brakes and taking the corners slow and then sprinting out. I started to work my way through the groups of riders, gradually moved up the ranks.

While I was working my way up, Cameron went to the front and launched a monstrous attack. Cameron managed to drop a group containing Sean Babcok, Mark Blackwelder (Gentle Lovers), Erik Tonkin (Team S&M), and Michael Gallagher (C3 Athletes Serving Atheletes). This attack was the decisive move and Molly was able to stay away for the win. I worked my up through the groups and I managed to pass, and drop, Blackwelder and Tonkin. Babcock and Gallagher were riding together for 2nd and 3rd; I ran out of time and was unable to close the remaining 8 second to bridge up to Babcock and Gallagher. Blackwelder put in a final lap attack to place 5th ahead of Tonkin.

1. Molly Cameron (Portland Bicycle Studio)
2. Sean Babcock(Team S&M)
3. Michael Gallagher (C3 Athletes Serving Atheletes)
4. Brett Luelling (Capitol Subaru Cycling)
5. Mark Blackwelder (Gentle Lovers)

In the women’s race Emily VanMeter (Hudz/Subaru Cycling Team) drove a hard pace and finished well ahead of second place Alice Pennington (Veloforma).

1. Emily VanMeter (Hudz/Subaru Cycling Team)
2. Alice Pennington (Veloforma)
3. Serena Bishop (Sunnyside Sports)
4. Bridgette Brown (River City Bicycles)
5. Tina Brubaker (The Vanilla Workshop-Speedvagen Racing)

Race #5, Astoria Day 1
For the last two years the Cross Crusade has had a double header weekend with two days of racing at Astoria. This weekend also serves as our Halloween race where racers are expected to dress up. Despite Halloween falling on Saturday the Cross Crusade promoters decided to stick with the traditional dress up day of Sunday.

This week saw the return of many of the Oregon favorites who were out of town the previous weekend at the USGP race. Most notable among the attendees was Barry Wicks (Kona-FSA).

We didn’t see very much rain on Saturday, but the previous week’s rain made the course muddy and slick. The Clatsop Fairgrounds sit on a hill and this provides the course with fast, slick downhill sections as well as some muddy run ups. The course started out with a slick downhill section that made the starts fast and treacherous.

Ben Thompson (Desalvo Cycles) took the hole shot with Cameron and Wicks slotting in behind. It didn’t take long before Wicks attacked the field. Cameron was able to hold on for part of the lap before falling off the pace. I followed in the chase with Kevin Hulick. We chased for several laps before I launched an attack in an effort to bridge up to Cameron. I was half way across the gap when I crashed in a sweeping downhill corner.

The crash rattled me; the course was much slicker than I thought. I rode conservative and was eventually dropped by Hulick. Shannon Skerritt (The Vanilla Workshop-Speedvagen Racing) caught and passed both Hulick and I to place 3rd. Kevin held on for 4th and I placed 5th. Sean Babcock had a tough race and placed 9th. On a side note, only 17 riders finished on lead lap. The gaps between the riders were massive.

1. Barry Wicks (Kona-FSA)
2. Molly Cameron (Portland Bicycle Studio)
3. Shannon Skerritt (The Vanilla Workshop-Speedvagen Racing)
4. Kevin Hulick (The Vanilla Workshop-Speedvagen Racing)
5. Brett Luelling (Capitol Subaru Cycling)

Alice Pennington put in an impressive performance, lapping the entire women’s field. It was a tough course and she excelled.

1. Alice Pennington (Veloforma)
2. Serena Bishop (Sunnyside Sports)
3. Megan Faris (River City Bicycles)
4. Erin Playman (Gentle Lovers)
5. Julie Browning (Cyclepath Racing)

Race #6, Astoria Day 2
Sunday at Astoria is the costume race. Everyone from the juniors to the A racers dress up. Sunday brought sunshine, warmer temperatures, and some sections of the course dried out. Throughout the day there were crazy costumes and bikes; including one B racer who had a stereo strapped to his bike playing death metal.

Sunday’s course featured many of the same sections as Saturday, except in reverse. The promoters also added several corners to the high speed downhill section from Saturday. This section was tricky with the sharp turns and slick ground.

In the Men A race Barry Wicks returned to attempt to double for the weekend. Right from the gun the pace was hard and fast. There was a break in the group about halfway through the first lap and I was in the second half. A crummy start was ruining my chances of pulling another top 5.

Wicks attacked from the front group to take the win. Shannon Skerritt put in a very impressive performance to come back from a crummy start to finish second around 10 seconds back and Eric Sheagley (Veloce/Felt) rounded out the top 3. I worked very hard to pull myself inside the top 10, finishing 9th. The race for the overall is getting tight with Cameron finishing 6th and Babcock taking 4th. The series could come down to the final race.

1. Barry Wicks (Kona-FSA)
2. Shannon Skerritt (The Vanilla Workshop-Speedvagen Racing)
3. Eric Sheagley (Veloce/Felt)
4. Sean Babcock (Team S&M)
5. Kevin Hulick (The Vanilla Workshop-Speedvagen Racing),

Sue Butler returned to riding after two weeks off due to illness. She didn’t disappoint and won the women’s race. The Hudz/Subaru Cycling Team continued to do well, placing two riders in the top 5.

1. Sue Butler (Monavie-Cannondale.com)
2. Wendy Williams (Hudz/Subaru Cycling Team)
3. Thonda Mazza (Team S&M)
4. Emily VanMeter (Hudz/Subaru Cycling Team)
5. Alalia Beerry (Gentle Lovers)

Henceforth no race of any variety is complete without a keg stand.

Got opinions on the crazy crossers? Drop 'em like you know how, below!

Attachments

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Nice write up IRE! I'll try to snap some pics of you at Nationals if I can find you.
Thanks! Are you going to be up at the USGP this weekend? Two good weekends of racing coming up.