Quantcast

Cross Fit

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
Hey, I'm curious as to anyone's experience with crossfit. I just signed up for buco cheap with a goupon for a class in my area with great reviews, but am curious as to others' experiences... ready set go.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
In the first 3 months of CF, I went down 2 pants sizes while keeping the exact same weight. One word of caution though - MAKE SURE you use proper form at all times. I messed myself up pretty good lifting improperly and have been in a CF-type rehab program for this entire year so far.

spam16v

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
Buffalo, NY
It borders on a cult. If you cannot do what they say is the Workout of the day and try anyways, you'll end up crippled. The average schmuck CANNOT do what's required and it takes a great deal of work to get to where you can even keep up and maintain. Start small, then work up to it if it's what you would like to do.

vinnycactus

Monkey
May 27, 2004
Matthews, NC
I've been doing Crossit for a couple years and am Level 1 certified. As most have mentioned technique is key with all of the movements. Do not concern yourself with doing things as prescribed. Focus on technique over intensity. Learning proper technique will take months in some of the movements, even years. Also, check your ego at the door. Don't concern yourself with beating the guy next to you or getting beat by the soccer mom. Focus on technique and doing the movements correctly, especially the Olympic lifts. Depending on how into it you get, I highly suggest finding seminars run by USAW certified instructors. A good online resource that take you through oly lift progressions is anything on youtube by Mike Burgener.

Again, I can't stress enough, techniquetechniquetechnique.

In the first 3 months of CF, I went down 2 pants sizes while keeping the exact same weight. One word of caution though - MAKE SURE you use proper form at all times. I messed myself up pretty good lifting improperly and have been in a CF-type rehab program for this entire year so far.
Dude, what happened?

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
Thanks for all the tips, I still haven't used my Groupon, so when I'll do, I will take to heart all this stuff about working on form. And thanks for the youtube suggestion! I'll let you guys know when I use it... I will probably start in a couple weeks... and let you know how it goes! :)

goonsquad08

Chimp
Apr 4, 2012
Ames, IA
Crossfit is awesome. I started doing it back in high school to excel in hockey. That was three years ago, and it was off and on. I've been doing it now for almost a year straight and I love it. It's turned into a passion of mine.

I also competed in the Open this year and had a lot of fun with it, I will not be at regionals though haha.

GoPhilly

Chimp
Jun 12, 2011
Broadway, NC
I am a big fan of CrossFit. The constantly Varied aspect is great but some gyms take it too far. Luckily the CrossFit location I am at now has a solid progression in its strength programming to go along with the high intensity METCONs. I have seen a big difference in my physical fitness as well as my riding abilities on the road and on the trails. Enjoy the Groupon, give it 2-3 months of going before you make an overall opinion. Get your form down before increasing the weights!
One of the best things about CrossFit is that it is Universally scalable. Whether it is the intensity, volume or movements, everything can be scaled so that you still get the same experience as someone else on a different skill level. Have fun!