Quantcast

cross frames w/ disc mounts?

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
cannondale, redline, salsa, giant, K2, Ironhorse, vicious, morati, van dessel.
That is what I can think of off the top of my head.

Advice:
don't get discs. you have so many more wheel options if you stick to normal brakes, plus they are lighter and plenty powerful.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by SuspectDevice
Advice:
don't get discs. you have so many more wheel options if you stick to normal brakes, plus they are lighter and plenty powerful.

If you are racing CX this seems like sound advice but if you are just riding CX in typical winter type condtions with lots mud, water, snow... disk brakes are the way to go.

I ride disks now and would NEVER go back. I am so sold on their usefulness that I think commuters and tourers should have them too.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Originally posted by Serial Midget
If you are racing CX this seems like sound advice but if you are just riding CX in typical winter type condtions with lots mud, water, snow... disk brakes are the way to go.

I ride disks now and would NEVER go back. I am so sold on their usefulness that I think commuters and tourers should have them too.

Mountain bike does not = cross bike.

Apr 1, 2002
NY
this will b for recreationl use. i have a set of cable dics layin around so i fig'd WTF. plus im doin a build so i can pick and choose $hit. iron horse had no specs on the cross frame as of augest? i gotta call them. got a buddy of mine that is suggestion the obrea? they look sweet. gotta go canti though. discs will prob not b the deciding factor on the frame.

Whats the best way to size a cross frame? same as road? i ride a 55cm bianchi in a road bike. i assume the BB r higher?

Carbon Fetish

Monkey
May 6, 2002
Irvine, CA
Originally posted by eastcoastzigzag
this will b for recreationl use. i have a set of cable dics layin around so i fig'd WTF. plus im doin a build so i can pick and choose $hit. iron horse had no specs on the cross frame as of augest? i gotta call them. got a buddy of mine that is suggestion the obrea? they look sweet. gotta go canti though. discs will prob not b the deciding factor on the frame.

Whats the best way to size a cross frame? same as road? i ride a 55cm bianchi in a road bike. i assume the BB r higher?
If you plan to run a flat bar with V brake levers you will be ok with the brakes you have. Avid maked a special disc brake for road levers because they have a shorter pull compared to Vs.

CX sizing is a little strange you want to get a size smaller than the road bike you ride. For example... I ride a 52cm Cannondale road bike with a 53.5 c-c tt and a 50cm Redline Conquest with a 53 c-c tt.

I wouldn't ride a Iron Horse since it looks like this is the first year they are making them. My feeling is never buy first Gen product because they tend to have problems. I would rather wait until a 2nd or even 3rd gen and have a kink free product.

Carbon Fetish

Monkey
May 6, 2002
Irvine, CA
Originally posted by Pulser955
Giant allso has a cross fram with disc mounts with a carbon fork.
SuspectDevice stated that earlier... the only problem with the Giant CX bike is that it is compact geometry, they are hard to get a hold of and a carbon disc fork sounds scary to me.

Carbon Fetish

Monkey
May 6, 2002
Irvine, CA
It's not an issue of strength of material but issue is how the fork is made? Adhering aluminum crowns and drop outs is not a problem anymore with carbon forks. It is adding disc tabs to the fork that scares me. It would make sense to combine the disc tabs with the drop out for strength, but where does the aluminum end and the carbon begin? How will the drop outs handle under stress from disc and can it handle a hydraulic disc?

When a lot of companies started to mass produce carbon fiber cyclocross/tandem forks there was a problem of the forks unable to handle the stress of force and they would delaminate at the crown since the had a steel or aluminum steerer. I would hate to be racing or bunny hoping and my dropout crack and fail.

Pulser955

Monkey
Oct 29, 2002
Outside Philly pa.
I understand that but I don’t think company’s like giant will leave themselves open for BIG lawsuits by making forks that might crack under normal use. I would have that fear from a small company that doesn’t have the R&D that a huge company like giant has. I honestly think that they would have worked that out.

Carbon Fetish

Monkey
May 6, 2002
Irvine, CA
This is going to be my last post about the fork topic...

This is the first year they have produced the frame with that fork. It seems there are only a hand full of companies (2 others that I can find) that make carbon disc forks. I am saying that I am skeptical about it and I would give it a few season before riding one.

All the major cycling companies have had their fair share of mistakes; Sugars, FSR, I drives with the cracking welds.

Giant Bicycle Recalls Bicycle Forks
Newbury Park, CA (SafetyAlerts) - Giant Bicycle, Inc. is voluntarily recalling about 2,400 Giant-brand bicycle front forks. The forks can break during use causing the rider to lose control of the bicycle, fall and suffer serious injuries.

Giant Bicycle, Inc. has received two reports of the forks on these bicycles breaking resulting in one minor injury.

These carbon fiber forks were sold on 2001-model Giant TCR Team, TCR 0, TCR 1, TCR 2 and OCR 1 bicycles and framesets (an unassembled bicycle frame and fork). The recalled forks have a date code on the steerer tubes.

"Giant" and the model name are written on the bicycles and framesets. Giant Authorized Dealers sold the recalled forks on framesets and bicycles from September 2000 through April 2001. The framesets sold for between $500 and $1,000, and the bicycles sold for between $1,000 and $4,500.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Do not go a size down for a cross bike. Ride your normal road size. Cross bike bb's used to considerable higher for toeclip clearance, but almost all modern cx frames have bb heights that are within a few mm or road heights.
The best way to size a cross bike is by top-tube length, It should be the same length as your road size. In additon you would wnat to look for a bike with a longer headtube for a higher barheight. Saddle to bar-top drop on a cx bike should be about 1/2 that of a road bike.

Apr 1, 2002
NY
holy **** guys thanks for all the info! :D kepp it comin. i will say i have leaned away form the disc idea.

carbon fetish - im w/ u on the whole carbon w/ a dics thing. i wouldnt mind a carbon fork w/ canti's but NO way on discs. not yet.

honestly i would have no prob getting a iron horse cx frame. i know a couple of the guys form iron horse and they would b more than willing to help if i had problems.

i really like the Kelly frames too. basically my choices r kelly, kona, iron horse, jamis (touring bike but basically a cross bike) and surley. i also want a steel frame.

Daner

Chimp
Apr 13, 2002
Stockholm, Sweden
Wound-Up has a carbon CX disc fork that doesn't look too scary. Sort of the same idea as the Pace RC31. I'm thinking of giving it a shot.

If you are thinking of a custom steel CX frame SyCip's Metax Stainless Cross Dresser at Interbike was one of the most beautiful that I've ever seen.