Quantcast

Cross over Camelback for biking and winter

TSchultz

Chimp
Sep 2, 2003
S. MN
So I'll be going to Silverton CO on Fed 18 to study avalanches for a week with my school. Since we'll be out on the mountain all day I'm looking to pick something up for rehydration. If possible I'd like to be able to use it in the summer for biking as well. I've been trying to look at their site, but for some reason it isn't working too well. I'm not sure how well the two activities cross over between the different models ie. the winter models have no ventilation for biking and the biking models water might freeze in the tube. Any suggestions from those in the know.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
My advice, wear your camelbak under your outer jacket, and keep the hose tucked in as well...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Look at some of the new Gerber systems. I don't know how available they are yet, but I got to use on in New Orleans (a guy from my old National Guard unit was a Marketing manager for Gerber).

The liner was a lot better than anything I have seen or used from Camelbak. You could pour hot coffee in it in the morning, dump it out, run a quick rinse, refill with water and you would never know the difference. I was told you could use ANY liquid. I ruined my first Camelbak with Vodka back in the day.

http://www.gerbergear.com/product.php?model=1038

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
sanjuro said:
My advice, wear your camelbak under your outer jacket, and keep the hose tucked in as well...
IN addition to that, just blow the water back into the bladder so there's none/little in the tube to freeze.

PS: Don't forget to eat enough and resupply your electrolytes. Have fun, it's an awesome area.