Quantcast

Cross pedal question

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Of course they're mountain bike pedals :) I have a set of M520s and M959s as well as some older SPD road pedals, 747s, and 646s (I think, they're the DH platform/clipless). When I ride any of the pedals, excluding the M959s, the cleat and pedal interface properly and the cleat is tight in the pedal. When I ride my M959s the cleat is "loose" in the pedal. If I pull up hard on the pedal there is a little bit of play in the pedal. It drives me fvcking nuts and I don't ride the pedals for that reason. Any ideas on what would cause this or how to fix it??

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
Of course they're mountain bike pedals :) I have a set of M520s and M959s as well as some older SPD road pedals, 747s, and 646s (I think, they're the DH platform/clipless). When I ride any of the pedals, excluding the M959s, the cleat and pedal interface properly and the cleat is tight in the pedal. When I ride my M959s the cleat is "loose" in the pedal. If I pull up hard on the pedal there is a little bit of play in the pedal. It drives me fvcking nuts and I don't ride the pedals for that reason. Any ideas on what would cause this or how to fix it??
do they have some kind of float to them? not sure you can adjust that if they do.

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
1. Worn pedal.

2. Worn cleat.

3. Wrong cleat that still works.

4. Needs adjustment.

5. Need to be swapped out for Times.

6. Combination or all of the above.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Have the 959 pedals seen more use than the others?
1. Worn pedal.

2. Worn cleat.

3. Wrong cleat that still works.
It could be the pedal. I bought it off a friend and he said it was in "good" condition....I dunno, maybe its worn out. I did double check the cleat and they are compatible and even with new cleats I still had this issue.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
I've run SPDs for years now and the cleat 'slack' only happens when the cleat itself is worn from walking or whatever. Replace the cleats with the proper Shimano model before you do anything else.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I've run SPDs for years now and the cleat 'slack' only happens when the cleat itself is worn from walking or whatever. Replace the cleats with the proper Shimano model before you do anything else.
Per your advice I've got new cleats coming. I've been using the multi-release cleat (SH56 I think) and that is supposed to work with those pedals. I read that they were designed around the single release 51 though, so I bought a pair to try.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
You don't want the multi release cleats as they release up (WTF?) SH-51 the so called single release is what you want. Look at the top of the pedal too. There are raised bits on either side where the shoe contacts them and can wear, will wear the pedal down. The cleat though also contacts the plate shown above and similarly you will see the wear pattern on it too.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
The SH51 cleats helped, but I'm still not sure I'm sold on the pedals. I might race with them at Rad and Star Crossed....we'll see.