Quantcast

Cross Racing

I have no tips but i may be coming to watch this one. If the doc gives me the go ahead i may do the next race in the series. I just wonder if I would even have a fighting change on a MTB or with the CX specific bikes be impossible to compete with.

Nate at RIT

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
bending stuff in the ROC
5 races in 5 weekends? I'm in the middle of series up here in upstate NY, with 9 races in 8 weekends. Feeling pretty good at the moment. Just can't do much training during the week.

Pete, a lot of it depends on the course. The more singletrack and mud, the better you'll do. The more road and grass, the worse. Your shape on the mtn bike will determine a lot though too. You never know til you try.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
caboverpete said:
I have no tips but i may be coming to watch this one. If the doc gives me the go ahead i may do the next race in the series. I just wonder if I would even have a fighting change on a MTB or with the CX specific bikes be impossible to compete with.

A lot of folks will be on mtbs for sure. The last race I went to there were only 5 straight up cross bikes everyone else was on a mt bike. Also, judging by the course it doesn't seem to have alot of paved sections so you should be OK. Hope to see you there.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
WHoa, to make a long race (1 hour and 15 minutes) short I got there late and missed the start of my race so I opted for the "A" race. I knew my place at the line due to the company I was in but I had no idea these guys were so fast and actually graceful.

I remember fighting to not get lapped again when I came through the start/finish and the lap counter said 18 to go! I was only ten minutes into it and I was blown wide open.

THe conditions were perfect and the course was faster than a scalded dog. I am going to see if I can drop down to the "b" group for this weekend but that might not be possible.

The dude who won the A's was riding I think a full carbon Impella (?), sick rig for sure.

spoke80 said:
WHoa, to make a long race (1 hour and 15 minutes) short I got there late and missed the start of my race so I opted for the "A" race. I knew my place at the line due to the company I was in but I had no idea these guys were so fast and actually graceful.

I remember fighting to not get lapped again when I came through the start/finish and the lap counter said 18 to go! I was only ten minutes into it and I was blown wide open.

THe conditions were perfect and the course was faster than a scalded dog. I am going to see if I can drop down to the "b" group for this weekend but that might not be possible.

The dude who won the A's was riding I think a full carbon Impella (?), sick rig for sure.
The guy that won the A's was a machine... he was lapping people left and right and looked to be getting faster as the race progressed. The barrier hoppin guy on the Kona dropped out so atleast you whipped him. It sure didnt look like much fun to be out there racing those A guys.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
caboverpete said:
The guy that won the A's was a machine... he was lapping people left and right and looked to be getting faster as the race progressed. The barrier hoppin guy on the Kona dropped out so atleast you whipped him. It sure didnt look like much fun to be out there racing those A guys.

I enjoyed it but mostly because my technique is wack and I learn by doing. Those dudes were killin it for sure. I am trying to see if I can drop down one class or two if needed but I don't have a problem sitting in with the big boys and getting whipped for a while. Thanks for coming out. I believe it will rain this Saturday so that will be funny.

spoke80 said:
I enjoyed it but mostly because my technique is wack and I learn by doing. Those dudes were killin it for sure. I am trying to see if I can drop down one class or two if needed but I don't have a problem sitting in with the big boys and getting whipped for a while. Thanks for coming out. I believe it will rain this Saturday so that will be funny.
It was interesting to watch... first one i have ever seen. Would definatly be fun to spectate if the weather was bad. The doctor nixed my ideas of racing one anytime soon, maybe the last one if im lucky. Id have to try the C class first though... even alot of the B guys were really fast.

ricebowls

Monkey
May 24, 2002
san francisco
hey spoke80 did you find your DH/MTX skills paying off. I did my first CX race yesterday and I'm addicted. I've been racing DH for about 2 seasons now (I didn;t start pedding uphill untill about a year ago) and although I may not have the cardio to race neck and neck with those guys I found my bike handling skills paid off big time. Passed so many people just by taking better lines and cornering better than they could. Man what a blast! I still think that DH is tougher because it's so less forgiving if you screw up but CX sure is an asskicker. And racing head to head is super fun. Can't wait until the next race.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
ricebowls said:
hey spoke80 did you find your DH/MTX skills paying off. I did my first CX race yesterday and I'm addicted. I've been racing DH for about 2 seasons now (I didn;t start pedding uphill untill about a year ago) and although I may not have the cardio to race neck and neck with those guys I found my bike handling skills paid off big time. Passed so many people just by taking better lines and cornering better than they could. Man what a blast! I still think that DH is tougher because it's so less forgiving if you screw up but CX sure is an asskicker. And racing head to head is super fun. Can't wait until the next race.

I can't really say since the course wasn't technical in anyway what so ever and the group I raced with were stupid fast. I had no where to hide. I am praying for the rain though so that I can use my darkside skills on the road crowd. But first I need to not race with the FREAKS and I need to find my fitness. I will be racing the B group this weekend so hopefully I won't get lapped 5 times by the leaders. :oink:

On the other hand I can't wait to get it on. I thought that cross would be just something to do as a whim but now I can't wait to race again.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
cool to see mtx & DH guys gettin it on in the cx races. i actually find that cx skills and mtx/DH skills compliment each other pretty well.

a real cx course should be full of hard-slippery-off-camber and otherwise technically demanding curves. the difference between a good cross racer and a great one isnt just lungs and legs it's the ability to get through the corners and tech faster. a challenging cross course should help your skills.

i always love to get back on my FR bike after riding cross. it feels like a monster truck!