Quantcast

cross wheelset recommendations?

sushidub

Chimp
Aug 28, 2004
boulder
I'm a 140lb mtn. bike racer and am looking for recommendations on a road wheelset or wheel specs(spoke count, hub, rim) that are durable enough for cross racing? I was thinking the Mavic Ksyriums SL for the pre-built option...but not sure if thats too risky and expensive considering I could go with Mavic Open pros and a 32 count lace job.

ahbrooks

Chimp
Dec 30, 2003
ca/ct
I went for the open pros, but my cx whip is a tank anyways (22 lbs), so dropping a lot of coin on ultra-light wheels was never really a consideration. That said, I know several people who have had a lot of luck with ksyriums as cx wheels. Depends on how rough on the wheels you are, I suppose. I'm 135 and went for 32h, 3x lacing, and 14/15 d-b spokes. Still running straight....

sushidub

Chimp
Aug 28, 2004
boulder
Gees....I hope thats 22 pounds after the wheelset. Thanks for the suggestions....the more I think about it the more I'm leaning towards the open pros.

ahbrooks

Chimp
Dec 30, 2003
ca/ct
I don't find that the extra heft is really too bothersome...certainly a pretty and sweet-riding bike, so I can forgive a couple pounds.

I've heard also that the cxp33's are completely bomb-proof but at your weight they're probably over the top.

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
ahbrooks said:
I've heard also that the cxp33's are completely bomb-proof but at your weight they're probably over the top.
I was looking at those for a new CX wheelset also.

I just got my bike ready for cross on Friday :) Swapped tires, took of the cyclocomputer and bottle cages. :)

gofstdh

Chimp
Apr 17, 2002
Lynnhood, WA
I'm 200 lbs and beat the crap out of cx wheels and hubs and everything and I used a set of Mavic Ksyriums for a race because mine were hosed and had no problems with them.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
open pros laced up to ulterga or DA hubs 3x will do just fine and be a cheaper route than say a set of reylond or zipps........

sushidub

Chimp
Aug 28, 2004
boulder
sweet....I'm going with the OP's / 3x / maybe a CK or Hugi hub. Want this wheelset to last a couple years with no surprises. Thanks guys.