Quantcast

Crossfit Games?

vinnycactus

Monkey
May 27, 2004
Matthews, NC
Anyone else competing? I'm signed up and my week 1 score was 5 rounds/18 reps. My double unders are hit or miss. Week 2 so far is 8 rounds plus 27 reps, very deliberate. Going to try for 10 plus on Sunday. Anyone else?

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
I've been interested in cross fit for some time. However, it's just so expensive compared to a gym membership that I haven't been able to justify it.

UncleSixPack

Chimp
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
Anyone else competing? I'm signed up and my week 1 score was 5 rounds/18 reps. My double unders are hit or miss. Week 2 so far is 8 rounds plus 27 reps, very deliberate. Going to try for 10 plus on Sunday. Anyone else?
Not competing... I thought about it, but would only be for myself. Will be watching very closely as the games roll around. Last year was a pretty cool vibe. To me, way more interesting than most of the olympics and better to watch than any "sport" except maybe football.

If I could string together more than 3 or 4 double-unders... or get muscle-ups or HSPUs.... I might have gotten in on the open... just for kicks.

How do you stand in your region? Have fun.

MetalMayhem

Chimp
May 17, 2008
east coast
I've been interested in cross fit for some time. However, it's just so expensive compared to a gym membership that I haven't been able to justify it.
Same. I seriously don't see why a gym like crossfit, which doesn't spend much money on equipment, can charge so much more than a gym with thousands more invested in machines, etc. (I do agree with the crossfit ideas/philosophy that the machines are worthless, but I'm just sayin...)

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
Same. I seriously don't see why a gym like crossfit, which doesn't spend much money on equipment, can charge so much more than a gym with thousands more invested in machines, etc. (I do agree with the crossfit ideas/philosophy that the machines are worthless, but I'm just sayin...)
I suspect its the staff to customer ratio. Machines are much cheaper than people. And from what I understand, cross-fit classes are supposed to be pretty small.

vinnycactus

Monkey
May 27, 2004
Matthews, NC
Not competing... I thought about it, but would only be for myself. Will be watching very closely as the games roll around. Last year was a pretty cool vibe. To me, way more interesting than most of the olympics and better to watch than any "sport" except maybe football.

If I could string together more than 3 or 4 double-unders... or get muscle-ups or HSPUs.... I might have gotten in on the open... just for kicks.

How do you stand in your region? Have fun.
Not sure how I am in my region. The website is a bit hokey and my first wod submittal got screwed up so they said I can resubmit at the end. I did wod #2 yesterday and improved by a round. i don't have any hopes of qualifying solo, shooting for my affiliate team. DAve Castro was at my affiliate yesterday at the level 1 and said don't be surprised if you see the games on Spike this year and maybe an espn channel next year. This Reebok coming in has helped with that...

Valid argument. Most see it as it's not really the facility that you're paying for but the coaching and the atmosphere. I'm lucky enough that the owner my affiliate is regarded as one of the top coaches in the country and does level 1 certs for crossfit. Worth the $125 a month I pay? For me it is. I also have a fully outfitted crossfit in my garage....I'm a little maniacal. Honestly, between craigslist and having a distributor with a scratch and dent room close by, my complete gym cost me about 2k.