Quantcast

crossmax sx for dh bike?

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I have a few questions about buying some new wheels. I love mavic rims, so I think I'll stick with them. I've always run cheap hubs, but I think mine are worn out, and I'd like a bit of an upgrade. I know everyone says hadley hubs are cheap, but they still seem kind of expensive. My favorite rims are 721's- I weigh 200 with gear and I'm a fairly smooth rider- most of the time.
My 721s usually last me a few seasons, but a bad line choice recently put a pretty bad dent/crack in my front and rear.

Anyway, if you're still reading, on to my questions :)

1. How are crossmax sx rims in comparison to 721s as far as durability?
2. Is it possible to dish the crossmax sx? I have a demo 8 frame that I will need to dish the wheel for. I'm guessing that it is, but i just want to make sure.
3. Will the mavic hubs be a jump up in quality over xt rear/ house brand front hubs?
I have been looking online, and I found some new 08 crossmax sx wheels for around $400 which is about the top of my price range. I can build a good wheel, so if you have any better suggestions, please shoot them my way.
Thanks!
Scott

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
What's the difference between '08 and '10 Crossmax SX? Weight?

Don't want to derail your thread, but 400 seems like a good deal for a set of those wheels.

cableguy

Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
Southern California
08's are QR in the rear only and has less engagement. Also SX only comes in 135mm spacing. Replacement spokes are hard to find and expensive. Better suited for AM type of riding unless you are really light.

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
08 crossmax sx would be bordering on stupid light for most serious dh imho especially at 200lbs. a low spoke count, proprietary spokes, nipples, spoke wrench etc. I'm not a big fan of proprietary designs when it comes to a component that is highly standardized throughout the rest of the industry. replacement spokes must be special ordered as few shops would stock those and afaik they do not sell them individually. the front maybe for a race wheel on smooth courses but the rear would be too light and does not come in 150mm afaik. the older ones(08 and earlier) also had issues with the freehub. mostly due to mooks who didnt work on their stuff enough, but they are nowhere near a bombproof setup. good AM/trail wheel. hard to go wrong with hadleys on 721s.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Good point about the spokes. It looks like the rims might be ok, but if you killed one spoke, it would probably spell trouble.
you guys talked me out of it, which is probably a good thing :)
Anyone know any hubs that are cheaper than hadleys, but still pretty durable/light? I need 135x9 rear and 20mm front...

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Who says Hadleys are cheap?
I think if you are paying full retail, they are a decent value. Put under $280 in a rear hub that will last for years and be adaptable to different frames.
Bearings don't matter as much as the engagement mechanism. IMO, Mavic hubs aren't any better than Shimano.

Also, the customer service from Hadley is awesome. No website, but one phone call and the part is in the mail. Often free of charge.

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
"Who says Hadleys are cheap?"

No one is saying that Hadleys are cheap. What Nobar and I are saying is the rear hub (which I recommended Hadley) is where you should put you money. The front hub you can use a cheap hub as there is nothing there but bearings.