Quantcast

Crossmax SX Owners

NorseManiac

Monkey
Mar 15, 2006
The North Shore, MA
What do you love/hate about your wheel set? I am almost sold on a set of these for my trailbike, it will help it lose a lb and give me the tubeless option. Is there another wheel set I should be considering?

thx
jim

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I own a set of '09 SX (the all gray wheels) and love them. I hear that my hub will require maintenance more frequently than the new '10 white hubs, and my engagement isn't phenomenal (all my other hubs are King) but overall they're great wheels. Strong and light, UST HighRollers mount up with a floor pump, wider than 819s, they look trick. Win win win win win.

IF Mavic sold these same rims for standard 32 spoke lacing I'd be all over them. The only real downside I can see will come if/when I break a spoke, as I don't have any spares yet.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Price. But if you can get a good deal on them, they're awesome. Light, strong and if they have fixed the bearing issue in the rear hub, then they are even more awesome.

I'm probably getting a set again for my next bike.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
What's the bearing issue, what should I be looking out for?
Don't get me wrong, I loved my Crossmax wheels. Super strong, super light. I was even running them on my DH bike for awhile. And I ride with a guy who uses them exclusively on his DH bike - hasn't had a problem yet. And he rails.

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
I have a set of 09 Crossmax on my Trance X. Love them. Park riding, light DH, even the occasional trail ride (which sucks to begin with on an trance x), is great. Had to service my rear once after a muddy trip to mammoth, but aside from that no probs. Still true even with one slighly dinged spoke.

NorseManiac

Monkey
Mar 15, 2006
The North Shore, MA
Just waiting for my UST highrollers to come in. Put a new XO cassette on today. Figured I would upgrade the drivetrain since its about that time. Looking for a SS front chainring 32t or I will use a new hanging in my shop 32t ramped and pinned one I have.

Aug 17, 2009
Peru, South America
They are great wheels and very good looking. For sure maybe the lightests wheels for freeriding or DH but lightweight means that they use light components and sometimes are not strong enough.
I think I have the 2010 models (with the white hubs) and few days ago while making mainteinance to the rear hub I noticed the aluminum freewheel body hub is cracked on the side of the 4 pins holes. I have also broken 2 spokes and I have to find them where to buy.
My question is: Does somebody knows where I can find those parts?

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
I hate the straight pull spoke system on mine! the rim threads siezed up on the spokes and I couldn't true the wheels anymore... everytime I tried to true them I broke spoke nipples. Running them now with one spoke missing.

I would never buy them again!

I hope you all have better luck with them!

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Does anybody know what size bearings Mavic uses in the ITS-4 hubs? I've been thrashing my '10 Crossmax SX's for two years and it's probably about time to replace hub bearings (pretty much every other bearing on the frame has been replaced already).

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Proprietary spokes = $$ if you break one and *ucked if you're stuck in the boonies trying to find a spare