Quantcast

Crown race halp.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
So I'm building up two new bikes, and both have tapered headtubes, something I'm new to. Thinking I would be running standard 1 1/8" steerer forks anyway, I ordered the following two lower headset assemblies:

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=39948
and
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=39946

As you can see, both have 1 1/8" crown races. I just ordered two new forks that are both tapered, therefore I need to buy 2 new crown races that will work with these two headsets.

Can any monkey headset experts help me out? All these new headset/steerer styles and "standards" have me beyond confused.

Thanks.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Don't you just need the regular old 40.ZS56 bottom?

Unless your bike specifies an integrated head set than you want the ZS56 and not the IS52.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Don't you just need the regular old 40.ZS56 bottom?

Unless your bike specifies an integrated head set than you want the ZS56 and not the IS52.
What? I need to know what races to get, I already have the proper bearings/cups. 1 Frame uses integrated (IS52), the other standard tapered (ZS49). The headsets are correct.

Last edited:

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
What? I need to know what races to get, I already have the proper bearings/cups. 1 Frame uses integrated (IS52), the other standard tapered (ZS49). The headsets are correct.
Sorry about the reading comp fail, but now I'm even more confused. I thought that CC lower assemblies ship with the appropriate race.

Therefore...

If you have the wrong crown race, you have the wrong assembly, because you also have the wrong size bearings??

Looks like those items are the IS52 and ZS49 conversions. You would want the standard.

Edit: My bad. Now that I think about it, I am pretty sure that the ZS49 comes as a reducing head set only and you would need the EC49 for a tapered fork.

Last edited:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
It's all been sorted out....the IS one just needed the right race (52/40 instead of 52/30). The bearings are the same size, it's just a matter of the ID/OD of the crown race.

However the zero stack won't work for 1.5", so I had to order an EC (external cup) instead with the right race.

I much preferred when the only option for headsets was color.

Last edited:

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
It's all been sorted out....the IS one just needed the right race (52/40 instead of 52/30). The bearings are the same size, it's just a matter of the ID/OD of the crown race.
Interesting, I had assumed that the bearings would be different sizes.

However the zero stack won't work for 1.5", so I had to order an EC (external cup) instead with the right race.

Edit: My bad. Now that I think about it, I am pretty sure that the ZS49 comes as a reducing head set only and you would need the EC49 for a tapered fork.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Don't feel bad it took me 1 hr of wandering around the intertubes and a call to CC before I was sure I ordered the correct angle set for my 1.5 head tube and 1-1/8" steer, no tapering involved.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Don't feel bad it took me 1 hr of wandering around the intertubes and a call to CC before I was sure I ordered the correct angle set for my 1.5 head tube and 1-1/8" steer, no tapering involved.
The crappy part is, I was 4/4 on headset selection had I used straight 1 1/8" steerer tubes like I initially planned. All that champagne and hooker-laden celebration for nothing in the end.