Quantcast

Cruiser racing

batts65

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
Upstate NY
I heard that you can enter a cruiser class on a MTB, just wondering if this is true. I want to race but not sure if I want to make the investment, I have a Kona Stuff that if I can race it to just try it I will.

Thanks....

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
The local tracks here do. You just have to take off some things like fenders and things that could stab/poke/hurt people. You should check the rules online though.

Just google the websites for the ABA and NBL they are the two sanctioning bodies for bmx racing. Then read the rules online.

By the ABA's and most other definitions a "cruiser" is a bike with wheels 24" or larger. Actually I believe cruisers origanally were 26"ers back in the day.

RandomV

Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
Indiana
Actually, it wasn't that many years ago that Brian Lopes had a signature model Mongoose BMX race frame with a deraillur (screwed that spelling up) hanger on it. That never quite caught on, though.

At most tracks I'm aware of, if there are enough MTB guys to fill a gate, they get their own class. Otherwise, they get lumped in with the cruisers in their respective age groups.