Quantcast

Cruiser thang

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
I finally got my Haro X24 done up, and boy this thing is going to be fun. Now I just need to wait for the snow to melt to get some quality time on it. Sure, it's a little basterdized, but it's going to be fun.

Initial thoughts;
The Backtrail X24 is definately a nice and beefy little guy. I really can tell a noticable difference in how sturdy and stiff it is with it's chromoly frame and 3 piece cranks. With my '97 Z2 on it, it is still snappy with its handling. I plan on throwing some 2.5" risers that I have on it though since the bars on it now are a little short. Also, the kenda k-rad tires on it are great. Tires are something that I never pay too much attention to, but I'm really amazed at how well they role and grip.

On the other hand the brakes blow. I'm not really going to be using this in the woods so it isn't as big an issue, but the brakes are definately a weak spot and I'm going to see what I can do to improve their performance.

I'll do a better write-up a bit later when I have some more time on the saddle and I will try to get some specific numbers for it's geometry as well.

Anyway, here's a pic

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Cash-Money said:
hey was the front wheel on that bike 3/8 axel? or did you get a new front wheel/grind out drop outs on fork? i'm thinking about selling the hardtail for a set up just like that.
Yep, 3/8 axle.

It was tight, and woudn't go in the dropouts at first so I just took a hand file and filed the threading down just a hair on the axle where it would contact the dropouts. This was enough to allow the wheel to drop in and since I only filed a little of the axle, I can still adjust the bearings and all :D

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Mattoid said:
Ive seen adapters for horrizontal drops that let you run discs, might be worth lookign into.

The thing is, a bmx rear hub has different spacing than a mtb hub.

Mattoid

Monkey
Aug 3, 2003
Charlottesville, Virginia
It doesnt matter what rim he uses, he needs a disc hub that is spaced for a bmx frame. Im sure one is made, but if it does exist it will probably be pretty expensive, and the whole idea of making a cruiser/mtb is to cut costs... so maybe its not really worth it.

Handlebarsfsr

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
ct
dirtjumpP.1 said:
usually, a mtb quick realease can work in any drop outs that arent too wide.
problem is, you need a bolt on axle to use horizontal drops, and a 3/8" axle is larger than a mtb q/r. v brakes work fine.

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
yeah the axel part is wider, but the parts on the outside are just as wide... it works, i had to run a qr on my p.1 which has horizontal drop outs

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
ok, I think some people are getting themselves confused here. The problem with a bmx rear dropout is that it has a different spacing that a mtb (width wise) A mountain bike runs a rear hub that is 135mm wide and a bmx rear hub is I believe is 110mm, so a mtb hub is nearly an inch wider.

Now maybe there are bmx disc hubs that are avaible, I don't know, but a mtb one isn't going to work.

In anycase, I don't plan on spending a whole lot of money to get the brakes working really well on this. The great thing about the bike unlike a slew of other single speed urban mountain bikes out there, is that this only cost me $220. So I want to keep it cheap :) .

I think that most of the problems stem from a combination of the cheap brakes which flex at the arms alot once you really pull on them, and the ano aluminum rim.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
For the people interested with what the geometry comes too, these are the important measurements I took.

Wheelbase - 40.75"
Chainstays - 15.5" (adjustable in horizontal dropouts)
Top tube effective - 22.5"
Bottom Bracket height - 13" (a little lower with sag)
Head Angle - The measurement I took came out to right around 70 degrees, which seems right since the axle to crown is a little more than 3" higher, and the orginal headtube angle is 74 degrees.
Seat tube - 12"
Total Price - $220 (I had the fork already, stem, and bars)

For reference, a P.Street has;

Wheelbase - 40.7"
Chainstays - 15.4" (adjustable in horizontal dropouts)
Top tube effective - 22.7"
Bottom Bracket height - 12"
Head Angle - 70 degrees
Seat tube - 12"
Price - MSRP $1100
:D