Quantcast

Crush washers. Why???

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I serviced my Avy'd 888 the other day. No problems as the foot nuts have rubber o-rings to seal things up.

I serviced my Fox 36 (installed an Avy cartridge). It also has the Push ACS3 system. What's the deal with Fox using crush washers? They're a pain in the ass. Why not just have rubber o-rings?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I've changed only the oil in a few Fox 36's and 40's, without changing the crush washers and never had a problem.

I suspect an o-ring is generally more susceptible to gorilla fisted wrenching.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
This thread is absurdly timely. Last week I had my fork (18' 36) completely overhauled...felt great for the first 4/5ths of my first ride on it...then there was a hideous clunk. It rode ok, but something wasn't right. Turns out the crush washer 'failed', (words of the mechanic) and oil was oozing out of the bottom of the fork.
He fixed it, and I shall ride it again tomorrow.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I usually reuse the crush-washers at least once. I seem to remember something about impact wrenches and marzocchis. The one that gets me is the press-fit lowers, just seems wrong banging away at the bolts with rubber mallets, but RS has been all for this since time began. Fox too, except they try to make it even more of a pain in the ass and make you buy a special tool (that you can do without).

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I always thought they served to facilitate to correctly seating the tapered rod in the lowers. Too little and they leak, too much and crack the lowers, crush the washer and just right. No?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I always thought they served to facilitate to correctly seating the tapered rod in the lowers. Too little and they leak, too much and crack the lowers, crush the washer and just right. No?
No, they're just there to seal. Nothing to do with the interference fit between the lowers and the damper/air shaft really.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
They get stuck on the threads when you service your fork so you have to have a bunch on hand (which I will have to order since I reused one and it's pretty beat up).

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
They get stuck on the threads when you service your fork so you have to have a bunch on hand (which I will have to order since I reused one and it's pretty beat up).
Yes, they seem to disintegrate easily. Even just taking off the new ones from my 34 last week.