Quantcast

Crystal

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
What are the good DH runs at Crystal? I am going up with the big bike this weekend. I plan on hiking. No shuttle rig, maybe if I beg my mom!

Anyone have maps, directions or experiences at crystal?
I'm talking about 9 and 8 inches of travel, so I'm looking for at least some raging DH if no jumps.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
You can get one version of the route on Crystal at nwsource.com (It's Zilly's clockwise version.) But, I assume you'll be crying or bitchin' up a storm becasue there ain't shuttlin' there. You'll be pushing hard. It's high country XC type stuff. 3,000 foot climb to the top. Not Original Sin, ir No Joke kind of riding.
Conversely, and to the dismay of some and utter joy of others, you can shuttle that tank up to nearby Deep Creek, Ranger Creek, Sun Top, Palisades, and Huckleberry.

Good luck. Probably snow up there this weekend too!

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Tage, Look into Deep Creek or Ranger. Deep CR would be the easiest on ya since Ranger still has alot of traverse... and yes, to the dismay of some you can almost shuttle to the top.....

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
That's pretty funny that you would worry about traversing time... :)

As opposed to climbing which would be understandable.

Just read it as pretty funny.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
I meant....

From corral pass.... assuming you drove there..... Climb to where deep creek drops down... Then to do Ranger you climb/traverse for some good distance.... so its easier to just do deep creek..... on a big bike..... :)

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
My fam tricked me and we ended up going on a national park hike. Mt. Rose at staircase/lake cushman.
We were planning on crystal, but our connection to the cabin fell through. Then we planned on Mt. Ellinor, and that fell through; interesting story actually.

We got the the base of the FS road, and some community volunteer firefighters, medics, and respective vehicles were parked at the base. My grandpa, typical anarchist, was very rude.
They told us there was a situation.

"sorry if there was any inconvenience"
"Well there was goddamnit, we were planning on going and doing a hike up there."
"Well we can't let you go up there right now."
"Why not."
"There's a situation."
"What kind of situation?"
"A department situation."
"A federal department or the fire department?"
"It's a department situation, we should have this all cleared up in an hour."
"Is it a fire?"
"IT'S A DEPARTMENT SITUATION I AM NOT ALLOWED TO TELL yOU ANYMORE AT THIS TIME!"
"Is it a fire?"
"yes"
"So you're telling us there is a forest fire raging up there?" (it was raining)
"No."
"Well what kind of fire is it?"
"It's a fire."
"What type of fire?"
"A fire that burns." (ohhh zzzzzzing)
"Oh c'mon, what kind of fire is it?"
"A car fire."
/police truck blazes by, sliding corner.

Fire truck and ambulance remain at bottom.

Makes me wonder what was really happening up there. Maybe a UFO!!

And the view was amazing from mt. Rose.
Camp robbers are te coolest birds!

SR

Monkey
Dec 8, 2001
Olympia WA
oly said:
It was probably a fire caused by them busting up a meth lab. You should we thankful they didnt let you go up there.

ahaha...no doubt, a mobile meth lab. that's the first thing I thought of too when I was reading that post...I mean it is still mason county out there right ;)