Quantcast

CTI knee brace question.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
I know that there are other threads but didn't get an exact answer.

How did you order your custom brace? Did you go through your orthopedist, regular doctor, etc? Where you measured up by your doctor or did you do your own specific measurements?

Did you have to pay out of pocket and then get reimbursed by your insurance?

I have a prescription from my regular doctor and am going back to my ortho tomorrow as I twisted and popped it out yet again at Windham.

I have the website contact info and relevant info but I am more than positive that my ortho hasn't heard of this exact brand for this specific sport so he might be a bit clueless.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I got a perscription from my doctor and had to pay for half of it up front. I paid for the rest of it myself. Now I never use it anymore. It was worth it at the time.

i would speak to your insurance service rep. plans differ with regards to what they will or will not cover. it helps that you have a prescription note, but some plans may require a specific diagnosis as a reason for a brace. and even then, most have a deductible or only cover a certain percentage of the cost.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
CTi is totally worth it if it's a recurring injury. Mine was from a blown ACL and torn meniscus. Used it for a full race season after my leg was better and there were multiple times where my leg muscles and joint were still too wobbly that it kept it in place. Plus, if you look at Fabien Barel's brace, it has a great, functional knee pad with hard plastic shell that velcros into the brace. I also used that too.

Word of advise though...buy some really thick padding to protect your bike frame from the brace. It will eat your bike alive. Also, manually re-route any cables off the top tube to the down tube on that side.

My insurance was actually through NORBA. I had no insurance and blew it racing slalom at Seven Springs. They pay up to 80% after $1000.00 deductible and it applied to my surgery and my ortho wrote the prescription as being NECESSARY and that kicked in the automatic 80% on the brace. So, if you want it covered by insurance, it has to be diagnosed as necessary by an ortho.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
CTi is totally worth it if it's a recurring injury. Mine was from a blown ACL and torn meniscus. Used it for a full race season after my leg was better and there were multiple times where my leg muscles and joint were still too wobbly that it kept it in place. Plus, if you look at Fabien Barel's brace, it has a great, functional knee pad with hard plastic shell that velcros into the brace. I also used that too.

Word of advise though...buy some really thick padding to protect your bike frame from the brace. It will eat your bike alive. Also, manually re-route any cables off the top tube to the down tube on that side.

My insurance was actually through NORBA. I had no insurance and blew it racing slalom at Seven Springs. They pay up to 80% after $1000.00 deductible and it applied to my surgery and my ortho wrote the prescription as being NECESSARY and that kicked in the automatic 80% on the brace. So, if you want it covered by insurance, it has to be diagnosed as necessary by an ortho.
Nice, thanks man.

It was is a fully blown out knee that over hyper extended backwards tearing every muscle, ligament and tendon, & severely torn meniscus that is now fully shredded from 8 years of use after the injury. I was supposed to get a total knee replacement at 18 for it but they deemed me too young for it. They would rather have me suffer through the pain every day.

Never got it fixed and it shows. It came out a few times during races and riding and when I walk the courses to take pics.

I go through Tricare for military so I am iffy as to what they will cover. I do have the prescription and a necessary note from my ortho since I can't do surgery until my head condition is cleared.

Thanks for the info guys.