Quantcast

cubicle farms produce rotten fruit

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/currency/2014/01/the-open-office-trap.html

In 2011, the organizational psychologist Matthew Davis reviewed more than a hundred studies about office environments. He found that, though open offices often fostered a symbolic sense of organizational mission, making employees feel like part of a more laid-back, innovative enterprise, they were damaging to the workers’ attention spans, productivity, creative thinking, and satisfaction. Compared with standard offices, employees experienced more uncontrolled interactions, higher levels of stress, and lower levels of concentration and motivation. When David Craig surveyed some thirty-eight thousand workers, he found that interruptions by colleagues were detrimental to productivity, and that the more senior the employee, the worse she fared.
side note - interesting phrase in the last quoted line.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
ha! I have no privacy at all! I don't even have cube walls! Of course, I got close to 20g's in a raise from my last position where I had an office with a window AND a door...so I'd say I'm more satisfied. I just stack my extra cash around my desk like I had walls.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I have tried both and wish there was a combination. Some work I do I would love and office but mostly enjoy the open office I have now