Quantcast

culinary treats in Rome

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
oh man, despite doing a ton of walking while lugging around all my camera gear in a backpack, i'm sure i gained some weight from my trip. here are some highlights:

coda alla vaccinara (oxtail stew, w/ tomatoes and celery). delicious, once you got all the bones and cartilige out.

various pizzas (the best was the one w/ anchovies and fried zucchini flowers)

sauteed greens (mostly chicory, broccolini and spinach, in garlic and oil). i can never tire of this.

risotta al pescatore. great stuff, but my 4 y/o ended up eating most of the octopus.

calamari alla griglia - again, my son ignored his carbonara and ate a bunch of the grilled squid

various gelati. i recall this being way better from when i was italy in '99. strange. best flavors were peach, fondente (dark chocolate), coffee, pistachio, nutella, and tiramisu. can you tell i enjoyed it?

a night out in a local spot for my wife's 40th b-day. her sister provided baby sitting duties, so we had a night out. she got the antipasto, from a great buffet w/ loads of fresh, homemade stuff like roasted eggplant, caprese, various gnocchis, etc. i went w/ the fettucine a funghi (porcini), absolutely delicious. great homemade egg pasta, and fresh porcinis rule. for mains the wife got a filet in a pepper sauce, and i got the veal chop. we sank a bottle of '01 tignanello along w/ it. dolci was gonna be cheesecake (i was figuring it would be made from marscapone and/or ricotta) but they were out, so the waiter brought us some tiramisu and some sort of pastry/chocolate chip/ricotta thing, both of which were fantastic. the tiramisu was more like a custard.

and for the last night we were there, we took advantage of having the local market right outside Alison's apartment, so i bought a bunch of stuff and made dinner. it consisted of:

marinated green olives and peppers
fresh (like that needs to be said) bread
picante salumeri (spicy hard sausage)

sauteed fennel and onions
sauteed asparagus
sauteed porcini mushrooms
pork chops, seasoned w/ fennel seeds, sauteed, finished w/ a garlic and sage white wine and lemon reduction sauce

dolci included fresh fragole (strawberries), cherries, and these tiny supersweet strawberries called fragolini di bosco, which were amazing.

had a bottle of some piedmont wine i'd never seen before (not a straight varietal like a barbera or barolo). it was really fantastic, and i wish i'd brought some home (i did get a barolo for the trip back). here is some info i found on it:

Obtained with 80% Nebbiolo grapes for Barolo and 20% Barbera d'Alba grapes, carefully graded, this wine fully represents the Langa terroir as it is made of two traditional vines. It has a ruby red color; the perfume is noble with withered rose and flowering almond scents. Its palate is full and delicate; this wine has great and noble qualities.
i wanna go back!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
thanks for reminding me, i cooked some fresh porcini mushrooms too. these things were HUGE. and so damn tasty. i would post a picture but it's on my bro-in-law's camera, and i didn't the pic yet.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Ok hungry now...sounds awesome!! I need to go to Italy. And yeah we can get fresh porcini now and then, usually around $40/lb as I recall. They are delicious but I am told not as good as the wild italian stuff.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
OGRipper said:
Ok hungry now...sounds awesome!! I need to go to Italy. And yeah we can get fresh porcini now and then, usually around $40/lb as I recall. They are delicious but I am told not as good as the wild italian stuff.
I'm sure not. *Nothing* is as good as Italian stuff. :D

And yes, you HAVE to go to Italy. What, pray tell, are you waiting for?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
SkaredShtles said:
And yes, you HAVE to go to Italy. What, pray tell, are you waiting for?
The right combination of time, money, advance planning, and not wanting to go to a ride destination or a secluded beach when it comes together.

It's definitely on my list. So was Moab. I'm working on it.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
one other thing which was funny...the insalata caprese we ordered always used rucola (arugula, or rocket) instead of basil. i don't recall that from my previous trip, but that was 7 years ago.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
narlus said:
one other thing which was funny...the insalata caprese we ordered always used rucola (arugula, or rocket) instead of basil. i don't recall that from my previous trip, but that was 7 years ago.
Interesting......... maybe basil is a more northern application. Tuscany, Emilia-Romagna, Piedmont and such.

I think I found the aswer: http://www.initaly.com/itathome/food/caprese.htm

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Or versions with rubbery, yellow supermarket mozzarella, pink, wooly tomatoes, and nameless oil. Or topped with the currently trendy Balsamic vinegar, not to mention the equally trendy sun-dried tomatoes, neither of which is used in Italy as promiscuously as here.
'pink, fuzzy tomatoes'. :rofl: oh, and the absence of balsamico was real, too.

the plum tomatoes i ate were the best ever. for real.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i don't know what half the things you mention actually are, but they all sound tasty :thumb:

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
narlus said:
it really bummed me out when i had to buy american ones last night.

:(

tsk tsk. down here we grow tomatoes that would make you cry.

awesome write up. got me extremely excited about culinary adventures on our vacation (and while not in rome, will be awesome too) Food and drink are now officially my favorite parts of vacation.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
yeah, i tried growing some tomatoes last year (just potted ones on the deck) and it was a disaster. the pepper plant was no better. looks like i will stick to herbs.

laura, i love going to supermarkets and food stalls/markets while on vacation. it really does give a pretty good glimpse of the culture.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
narlus said:
yeah, i tried growing some tomatoes last year (just potted ones on the deck) and it was a disaster. the pepper plant was no better. looks like i will stick to herbs.
I've had marginal luck with tomatoes in pots. The cherry tomatoes did alright (good God were they tasty), but the other large fruited varieties only got small fruit. They were to die for flavor-wise, just not very productive. I'm going to transplant in the terraced garden this year and see what happens.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
narlus said:

laura, i love going to supermarkets and food stalls/markets while on vacation. it really does give a pretty good glimpse of the culture.
When we were in Rome there was a market every morning about a block away from our hotel. The strawberries were awesome. :drool:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
tons of squid, octopus, and cuttlefish. and a load of fish i wasn't familiar with, aside from standards like tuna, swordfish and flounder. oh, and big prawns w/ heads on.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
narlus said:
tons of squid, octopus, and cuttlefish. and a load of fish i wasn't familiar with, aside from standards like tuna, swordfish and flounder. oh, and big prawns w/ heads on.
Yeah - all the pasta we got with prawns in Italy had the heads on.

In fact, we ordered what amounted to "popcorn" shrimp in Spain and they just deep fry the whole damn thing, shell and all. :D

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
you ever eat whitebait?

basically whole minnows, fried up (maybe breaded, too). guts and all. i never got the audacity to eat it in NZ, but had some in spain. my youngest liked 'em too.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
narlus said:
you ever eat whitebait?

basically whole minnows, fried up (maybe breaded, too). guts and all. i never got the audacity to eat it in NZ, but had some in spain. my youngest liked 'em too.
Nope. But back home in MI we used to get smelt in season - of course they were at least gutted. :D

Have you heard of this cheese delicacy from Sardinia? http://escapeblog.com/europe/wake-up-and-smell-the-cheese/

:dead: