Quantcast

Curious about DH racing for next year

darenp

Chimp
Mar 22, 2007
I thinking about trying DH racing next year. I know you guys may think I am dumb for asking this. But hopefully for are some of you guys that can give some pointers at where to start. I havn't raced before and I am interested in just giving it a shot to see if i like it. Any pointers help, so thanks guys.

bikerpunk98199

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
the hood
start at either racing sport or beginer. do local races first like hood, fluidride cup. practice the basics ( you won't be able to do good in a race run if you don't have basics down) practice linking things together. work on sprinting. o and don't sit down in a race run i would recomend taking your seat off...

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
get your bike handling skills down solid especially learn to ride switchfoot cause it WILL happen in a race. Might try rockin some bmx too to help you with sprinting and its kinda fun. Mainly just get out there and see how it is, with the fluidride cup this year it will be easy to get to races.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
I'd say start out w/ beginner or sport, unless you have good handling skills, trail vision and don't mind some techy lines. I rode for a long time before I raced so I signed up for expert my first time out. I would have done well in sport, but I preferred the expert course over the sport. Whatever you do, just sign up for at least one race - it's a blast no matter what you're in it for.

In the meantime, ride as much as you can. If you're anywhere near Seattle, there's plenty of stuff to ride over the winter to get/keep you in form...most of it being illegal trails.

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
I
In the meantime, ride as much as you can. If you're anywhere near Seattle, there's plenty of stuff to ride over the winter to get/keep you in form...most of it being illegal trails.
what are you talking about, there's no illegal trails in washington. unless you're building some new ones :shocked:

FatalExposure

Monkey
Sep 2, 2005
When the official unveiling of illegal trails comes out, could you let me know? I'd like to get in on the secret. ;)

SnowboardinWA

Monkey
Feb 23, 2007
Tacoma, WA
If your racing at Mt Hood Ski Bowl. Then if you've NEVER been on a bike, then race beginner. If you've been on a bike for more then a week, race Sport. My first race, even though I I've never been on a DH bike, I raced Sport, still do.
<---Usually Last in my class........LOL.

FatalExposure

Monkey
Sep 2, 2005
Do a search for Fluidride in the DH forum. They are running a race series, with some races outside of Oregon, including at least one in Port Angeles. You can also race in Whistler all summer long.

Jun 8, 2006
Washington
im so excited for this fluidride thing, im going to enter a few races next year when the time comes, ive previously raced bmx when i was younger but need something more, i think DH is it!