Quantcast

curious about scott voltage jr 24 tmo

trav_co

Chimp
Mar 29, 2012
My first post here so i dont know how to put this in logical terms. I have rode before and used to race bmx. I am now 22you and wannting to start riding a little. Nothing major maybe some little skatepark stuff and dirt stuff. I dont plan to go for big air stuff but just to have a little fun with my wife on bike rides. I have been eyeing the scott voltage jr 24" bike. It has youth all over it but from reading specs it is similar to adult size urban dj bikes. I called a local dealler that has the bikes but they are adiment its a kids bike and further research says adults can ride it comfortably as well. So my questiohn is what is everyones take on this bike? My main point of interest is its only 350$ and since i am not wanting to do no crazy stuff with it and considering i would fit it. Should i go for it?

Heres the bike
http://www.scott-sports.com/at/en/products/221803193/bike-voltage-jr-24-tmo-24/;jsessionid=B0F13F83C156A4535BB292B77E31B2C6

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Hey Trav,
I don't see the geometry listed, so it's tough to know what how the size of it outside of the wheel size. The parts spec looks like it'll hold up and isn't built light for kids. I can't speak for the fork, but it does have a "firm" spring in there - should be good for adults. If you can check one out and give it a quick spin, that would be best.

trav_co

Chimp
Mar 29, 2012
Yes my thoughts exactly.. unfortunately every shop that is the dealer special orders them and dont have any in stock. I found this site that appears to have more geometry specs listed in the view geometry tab. And thanks for the reply

This place here has a few geometry specs listed in the view geometry clicky. If you could take a look at that and compare that would be great. I compared to the airborne wingman qnd specs were within 10%its differences of eachother

http://www.vitalmtb.com/product/guide/Bikes,3/Scott/Voltage-JR-24-TMO,6613

Mutt

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Lost on Long Island
Dumps suggestions is probably tops : find one to go roll around.

I'm not spec, or ever parts savvy, and I'm not sure what to say about it being a kids bike but.....

in general my philosophy is
ride bike
break bike
fix bike
repeat.

so long as you are starting with a product that isn't fundamentally un-safe, then who cares. That being said, if you're going to drop 350, you could probably pick up a better bike used.

Top Tube Length 23.4
Head Tube Angle 68.5
Head Tube Length 4.3
Seat Tube Angle 71
Seat Tube Length 12.4
Bottom Bracket Height 12.8
Chainstay Length 385
Wheelbase 41.3
Standover 27.6
Reach 15.7
Stack 22.3

based on these numbers, i'd say it's a pretty solid starting point...

trav_co

Chimp
Mar 29, 2012
Well I went in to the nearest dealer and rode a "similar" bike. My 6ft tall self actually fit pretty well on it. I decided to have them order me one and when they pulled the price up it was $560 and I was like " oh hell no" because on the places website they are listed for 350. So they honored the 350 price and made a point to tell me how great of a deal I was getting so I walked out pf the store only spending 350. I am pretty pumped many say it will be great and from calling scott and talking to a few guys there are 200lb men riding them at the skateparks.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Well I went in to the nearest dealer and rode a "similar" bike. My 6ft tall self actually fit pretty well on it. I decided to have them order me one and when they pulled the price up it was $560 and I was like " oh hell no" because on the places website they are listed for 350. So they honored the 350 price and made a point to tell me how great of a deal I was getting so I walked out pf the store only spending 350. I am pretty pumped many say it will be great and from calling scott and talking to a few guys there are 200lb men riding them at the skateparks.
ha, cool. The numbers do look pretty solid. Be sure to report back. Want to see some action pictures!

trav_co

Chimp
Mar 29, 2012
Will do! I am hoping it will be in and built by next week. I have been messing around on an ol free agent and boy am i rusty. So hopefuly by then my muscles memory will have fixed itself. I am so sore now im afraid to hit any jumps.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Top Tube Length 23.4
Head Tube Angle 68.5
Head Tube Length 4.3
Seat Tube Angle 71
Seat Tube Length 12.4
Bottom Bracket Height 12.8
Chainstay Length 385
Wheelbase 41.3
Standover 27.6
Reach 15.7
Stack 22.3

based on these numbers, i'd say it's a pretty solid starting point...
Those are the numbers from the 26". The 24" bike has 360mm CS slammed, 70° HA &, 0mm bb drop with a 420mm a2c fork. It was designed for everyone and the sales guys put it in the youth category.

Here is mine.

Make sure you run a low fork or the BB will be very high and the head angle will be too slack.

trav_co

Chimp
Mar 29, 2012
Forgive me if this sounds goofy but what is a "low fork" I am looking into running a different fork and was thinking of something in the Marzocchi line. And thanks for the clarification man! How do you like it? I am hoping it fits me well considering I'm 6'1".

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Forgive me if this sounds goofy but what is a "low fork" I am looking into running a different fork and was thinking of something in the Marzocchi line. And thanks for the clarification man! How do you like it? I am hoping it fits me well considering I'm 6'1".
I meant a fork with a low axle to crown. Something with 50mm to 60mm of travel.

trav_co

Chimp
Mar 29, 2012
what is the meaning of "slammed"? As far as I'm aware there's no way to lowered anything on the rear because the rear mounts are a single mount and fixed or non adjustable. Forgive the newbiness

trav_co

Chimp
Mar 29, 2012
Got to pick up my voltage 24" today.. I must say its a very agile, light, responsive, and stout feeling bike. I spent about 3 hours playing around on it on some bmx stuff and urban street riding. I am very pleased with it thus far. It wheelies nice, manuals nice, has excellent standover for my 6'2" self. Its very flickable in the air. From being out of riding for 3 years I can almost land a 360 on flat. Brakes are nice and responsive as well. So far the only thing I would change is the front shock. Its a little on the soft side but even for me being what I consider a novice dirt jumper I see it as fine for the time being.

Here's pics

trav_co

Chimp
Mar 29, 2012
What would be a good replacement fork for this? Need something with 60mm I believe anymore and it throws off the geometry

griffinjay

Chimp
Oct 7, 2012
Got to pick up my voltage 24"
Trav,

Can you give us an update on the scott voltage jr 24, now that you've had it for 6 months?

I'm 5' 9" tall, 145 pounds and a beginner, as there's a brand new pump/jump park about 30 miles from me.

And a LBS has one for sale at about half price: $250.

nog00der

Chimp
Dec 9, 2012
This place here has a few geometry specs listed in the view geometry clicky. If you could take a look at that and compare that would be great.
http://www.vitalmtb.com/product/guide/Bikes,3/Scott/Voltage-JR-24-TMO,6613
hey Trav, im trying to figure out the specs on this bike for my kid (hes 10) can you do me a favor and measure the top tube length please?

And a LBS has one for sale at about half price: $250.
is this deal still available griffinjay??? where is this bike shop?