Quantcast

Current DefCon Level

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
No idea. but that reminds me of a question. If they're at "Orange", when would they ever be at "green"?

"Ok everyone! ABSOLUELY NO terrorist threat anymore. We can COMPLETELY let our guard down now. Hear that everyone?"

Honeywell

Monkey
Sep 21, 2001
Bellingham
Originally posted by fourgivn1
Anyone know what it is? I know what the current 'threat level' is (it's ORANGE *L*) but I do not know for sure if that directly corresponds to the different DefCon levels, and if they change accordingly, etc. Can anyone clue me in? Thanks.
The "threat level" scale is also known as the THREATCON scale. It used to be Normal-Alpha-Bravo-Charlie-Delta but they then changed it to colors so we could more easily understand and recognize.

Here is the major difference

"U.S. Central Command officials use scales of threat levels and defense readiness conditions to standarize the identification of threats and recommended responses throughout the military. While the THREATCON scale determines the condition for defense of the United States homeland and assets abroad, the DEFCON scale determines the posture of the military to prepare for the likelihood of war."

Originally posted by Honeywell

The "threat level" scale is also known as the THREATCON scale. It used to be Normal-Alpha-Bravo-Charlie-Delta but they then changed it to colors so we could more easily understand and recognize.

Here is the major difference

"U.S. Central Command officials use scales of threat levels and defense readiness conditions to standarize the identification of threats and recommended responses throughout the military. While the THREATCON scale determines the condition for defense of the United States homeland and assets abroad, the DEFCON scale determines the posture of the military to prepare for the likelihood of war."
Actually, the THREATCON level (for the outside world) is known to us as the FPCON (Force Protection Condition) level. It is still Normal-Alpha-Bravo-Charlie-Delta.

Darryl

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
ZION
Most stateside units moved to Bravo. Some overseas moved all the way to Delta. It's area and threat specific. I didn't notice what it said at the gate this morning.

Originally posted by Darryl
Most stateside units moved to Bravo. Some overseas moved all the way to Delta. It's area and threat specific. I didn't notice what it said at the gate this morning.
I'm aware of this fact (not to be rude...just stating that)...our base happens to be at Bravo "Plus" right now. I know it's area/threat specific. BUT I still don't know if the THREATCON (or FPCON) scale is the replacement for the DefCon levels, or if they directly correspond, or are two totally different things. Being as DefCon actually has seven levels, I think they closely correspond but don't track exactly...I'm still trying to find out.

Darryl

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
ZION
DefCon is gone, as far as the Marine Corps is concerned. I think DefCon is used on a whole different level actually anyhow. i.e. 1,2,3,4. Our base conditions are called Force Protection levels. And range from Alpha to Bravo. I guess I really don't know the answer to your question, shrug.

DefCon is gone, as far as the Marine Corps is concerned. I think DefCon is used on a whole different level actually anyhow. i.e. 1,2,3,4. Our base conditions are called Force Protection levels. And range from Alpha to Bravo. I guess I really don't know the answer to your question, shrug.
See, that's what I think (about DefCon being used on a whole different level). Your FPCon levels only go from Alpha to Bravo? Uh, they are supposed to go to Delta as well aren't they? We have those as well (we're a joint forces base) but they go all the way to Delta.

dg806

Chimp
Apr 26, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by I Are Baboon
Anyone see that movie "WarGames"? Remember that huge friggin' modem that Matthew Broderick had in his bedroom? That was pretty cool.
Dude, I've told you about doing that wacky stuff!! You're always having flashbacks!!:D

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus

ummm....did you mean "And range from Alpha to DELTA?" i was stationed there at beautiful miramar for a few years and when the embassy was attacked in kenya the threatcon went to delta, which only allowed military id card holders on base and everyone had to open trunks, mirrors under the cars.......anal probe......

i got out 3 days before the attacks so i can't vouch for the conditions right now.

i was in HMH 361....what about you darryl? mag-16 or mag-11?