Quantcast

Current state of Snowshoe XC trails?

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
Anybody have any idea what XC options there are on site nowadays? The wife's coming with me to race #3 and wants to do some pedaling. She's fine with easy/intermediate stuff but don't even bother suggesting Slatyfork or anything gnar like that. Thanks.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Sorry G but those aren't easy trails to ride. Yes they are on site down at the Silvercreek area.

There is an easy trail on the park side called Yew Pine that is serviced by the lift. The ride out to the Sunrise Hut and firetower has been cleared for dune buggys but is an easy ride out and back and has some nice views.

Off mountain there is the Greenbrier River Trail that leaves Cass, WV. It's and easy railroad grade that goes through some gorgeous river valley with bridges and tunnels (bring a bike light).

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Did they seriously name a trail that?
That trail is ancient...used to be a beautiful trail with tons of beaver dams in view......not sure what's like now.

I rode that trail back in 95ish, i think, before all the nats and 24 hour races....

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Did they seriously name a trail that?
Its official name is Upper and Lower Beaver Dam. There is a beaver dam near where they intersect Black Run road. It's been there for ten years that I know of.

The Upper was used for GNCC MX race and is pretty fvcked up but on the mend. The Lower is recovering nicely from the 24Hr race abuse but is filled with gravel for a lot of it.

The Snowshoe crew is working hard to recover old trails and build some new ones in the future. So stay tuned.