Quantcast

Cursing costs in Conn.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Conn. Police Fine Students for Cursing
Thu Dec 1, 5:53 AM ET

HARTFORD, Conn. - Bad words are costing Hartford Public and Bulkeley high schoolers $103 each.

Police officers assigned to the schools have fined about two dozen students for cursing in a new program to curtail unruly behavior. The joint effort by school and police officials targets students who swear while defying teachers and administrators.

"We're sending a message to the parents and to the teachers," said Sandy Cruz-Serrano, senior adviser to Superintendent of Schools Robert Henry. "We are trying to bring back order to the schools."

Parents are required to pay the fines if the students cannot.

"Our heads are spinning with that," said Sam Saylor, president of the district Parent Teacher Organization. "The kids are really indecent with their swearing and they're swearing at teachers. This is their way of curtailing it — making the parents pay."

Keila Ayala, 17, a Hartford Public sophomore, said she was ticketed for shouting an expletive in an officer's face while handcuffed for taking a swing at him.

"It'll stop me from swearing," she said. "Well, it won't stop me from swearing, but I won't cuss at the teachers."

George Sugai, who teaches school discipline at UConn's Neag School of Education, is skeptical of the effort. "Research says that punishing kids doesn't teach them the right way to act," he said.

But Hartford Police Officer Roger Pearl said the program is working.

"Before, the kids were swearing all the time. It went from many incidents to almost nothing," he said. "It's quiet in the halls."

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Makes me want to drive to CT just to tell a school principal that his life is f*cking bullsh*t and he needs to come up with a better excuse for why his job performance sucks. Yeah, kids swearing, that's the problem with the world :rolleyes:

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
I never really noticed how bad people's language is in public places until Willow came along. Especially kids.

As for the punishment line, I have cauliflower ear from getting cuffed by my Mom for my language but eventually I figured it out. I stopped using it around her and oddly enough I stopped using it most places.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Me "God D****!"
Police "That'll be $103, son"
Me "Well, Son of a B****"
Me "Aw, Jesus F****** Christ, you've got to be kidding me?"
Me "****, ******, *******, ******, *****
Police "That'll be $103,000 son"

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Good for them... I hope they make lots of money off of this.

The bottom line here is they are taking a step to reign in unruly and obviously disrespectful kids.

foesjunky

Monkey
Mar 1, 2005
In the 909
N8 said:
Conn. Police Fine Students for Cursing
Thu Dec 1, 5:53 AM ET

Keila Ayala, 17, a Hartford Public sophomore, said she was ticketed for shouting an expletive in an officer's face while handcuffed for taking a swing at him.
It sounds like they have bigger problems than cursing!!!! I curse like a sailor but wouldn't swing on a cop!!!!!

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
Thas nice, What ever happend to the educational process. Schools are for learning not the Pidgeon holeing and forced conformation of our future leaders. Looks like the Hitler Youth and Brain Coerced Zombies are finally taking over. I think I would pay my kid just to constantly stand in the hall and curse. words are just words. What ever happened to freedom of expression? i hate F***ing A**Holes, No good son of a B**CH Bas***ds!!! I will never agree with police inside schools!!!

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Each generation has its' own vernacular and shouldn't be punished for it...sheesh...I mean whenever my grandma says that "Someone is straight off the boat", that's pretty derogatory...

Now days I'd just say "Wow...that's f*cked up..."

Just like "Hooking up"....I suppose that's better than saying "they f*cked like monkeys once" in front of someone that doesn't know what you're talking about...

Wait...what was my point??!! oh screw it...I'm going back to work....Damn it....it was a good point too.....F*!K.....:angry:

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Some of you are missing the point... read the article.

The joint effort by school and police officials targets students who swear while defying teachers and administrators.
This is not about everyday vernacular... or freedom of expression. It's about being a disrespectful punk. They are trying to get control of unruly students... Being disrespectful and disruptive is NOT freedom of expression.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I should point out that these schools are for the some of the poorest kids in the country. While it may seem harsh, unfortunately any tactic which helps control unrest I think is a good idea. I am sure the people in Hartford with kids (who are debating about sending them to Bulkeley) think it is a good idea.

foesjunky

Monkey
Mar 1, 2005
In the 909
teamkranzelbike said:
I will never agree with police inside schools!!!
I went to a school where the police department had thier own classroom.
We got to school in the morning and the gates were locked!! We needed to police on campus.
A student was shot, the VP was atacked, and we had a full blowen riot between the blacks and the asians which started with somebody getting hit in the head ( in a coma ) with a baseball bat in woodshop. Some schools need the police.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
foesjunky said:
I went to a school where the police department had thier own classroom.
We got to school in the morning and the gates were locked!! We needed to police on campus.
A student was shot, the VP was atacked, and we had a full blowen riot between the blacks and the asians which started with somebody getting hit in the head ( in a coma ) with a baseball bat in woodshop. Some schools need the police.
Sounds like those kids need real parenting & maybe a beating or three. Then maybe the police wouldn't be needed.

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
I know we live in pretty messed up times. Our kids are in danger all the time. I fell that police do not belong inside the school. Outside, yes. somwhere where they can respond quickly. I do not think that the presence of police is a deturent, but actually a catalyst for disruption. I also feel that free public education in this country should not be a right, it should be seen as a privalige. if a kid is un ruly to the point where they are dangerous, they dont need to be there to disrupt the education of those that want to succeed. Get them out of the general population. As far as parents having to pay the bill for these unruly students? absolutly in cases of violent or disruptive behavior. in most cases the parents are responsable for the making of these little monstors in the first place.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Bad words and pop tarts are going to ruin the world and open the door for freedom hating terrorists! I bet those kids are cussing while eating pop tarts, too. Bastards!

I liked Ireland where "F*ck" is a cherished and well loved word.

Cracking down on bad words... yeah. That's where the focus needs to be. :rolleyes:
teamkranzelbike said:
I also feel that free public education in this country should not be a right, it should be seen as a privalige.
Do you really need to have the importance of education explained to you? Maybe you should say that it should be seen as a right AND a priviliege and not an OBLIGATION.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
teamkranzelbike said:
I know we live in pretty messed up times. Our kids are in danger all the time. I fell that police do not belong inside the school. Outside, yes. somwhere where they can respond quickly. I do not think that the presence of police is a deturent, but actually a catalyst for disruption. I also feel that free public education in this country should not be a right, it should be seen as a privalige. if a kid is un ruly to the point where they are dangerous, they dont need to be there to disrupt the education of those that want to succeed. Get them out of the general population. As far as parents having to pay the bill for these unruly students? absolutly in cases of violent or disruptive behavior. in most cases the parents are responsable for the making of these little monstors in the first place.
Republican, aren't you?

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
sanjuro said:
Republican, aren't you?
Actually no, I don't choose sides it it requires me to agree totally with a way of thinking, I choose to feel one way on some subjects, and different ways on others. like being pro choice, but against the death penalty. Helping the Disabled and the old, but telling the 8 kid welfare momma to get a job, or 2, or whatever to feed your own kids!! no I will never be elected to any public office, but I am damn fun at partys.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
I'm a big fan of Darwinism...and Natural Law...Obviously it's not a solution for everything but there are some good points. I agree that kids being punks just for the sake of being punks is bad (I missed that little sentence...."The joint effort by school and police officials targets students who swear while defying teachers and administrators.").

Meh....screw it...the world's going to hell anyway, why not help it along a little bit more...

[rant!!]Only the strongest and smartest should survive! If you die, you didn't deserve life!!! [/rant!!]

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
teamkranzelbike said:

It's been a long time since I was in school and I don't have any kids, but I grew up in a nice area of West Hartford and I can tell you that even back then, there were some extremely sketchy parts of Hartford and frequent reports of violence in Hartford schools. This was BEFORE all the gansta thuggery got popular, and I've heard it's really bad there.

You're right, police do not belong in school. But that doesn't mean they are not needed.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
Slugman said:
The bottom line here is they are taking a step to reign in unruly and obviously disrespectful kids.

I agree. It is one thing to swear in school, entirely another to swear at a teacher or another school official.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
amydalayna said:
true dat.
seriously.

and these families don't even have the $103 to pay these fines. how is this solving anything?
I was thinking about that... how enforcible is this fine? If the kid is a trouble maker and he gets fined, but refuses to pay - what are you going to do, suspend him? Gee.. that sounds like a good plan.

I'd really like to see the parent/gaurdian held responsible... kind of a tax for bad parents.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
Slugman said:
I was thinking about that... how enforcible is this fine? If the kid is a trouble maker and he gets fined, but refuses to pay - what are you going to do, suspend him? Gee.. that sounds like a good plan.

I'd really like to see the parent/gaurdian held responsible... kind of a tax for bad parents.
but we're talking about inner city families. how can you enforce this sort of fine where 30% of these people are living below the poverty line.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
amydalayna said:
and these families don't even have the $103 to pay these fines.
Good point.

Well it could be worse...it could be Weaver High School. :dead: :dead:

"The schools are among the most segregated and underperforming in the country, with populations of impoverished and African-American students extending into the 90th percentile. Mortality rates in the North End are comparable to those of the South Bronx in New York City." -Wikipedia

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
UG. Hartford schools. :dead:

But still, it happens in Hartford, next thing you know its at my school. My school is full of crazy teachers. While were on this subject...

Ok, so the school hand book says nothing about not being able to wear a hat. But everytime one wears a hat in school some of the teachers go ape **** and will take it. Ive had my beanie taken several times and had a talk with the VP about this. She said that she could take the hat all year long and hold it until the school year is out. Now to me this seemed like total ****ing bull****. What right do they have to take my hat? Especially when there isnt a law that says i cant wear it indoors. To end the story i got one of my friends who has a part time job after school being a janator to just swipe it from the VP's office.

And whats so morally wrong about wearing a hat? It seems like they are occultists or somthing.

My school also has banned soda and unhealthy food from the cafiteria, and the school nurse isnt allowed to give you asprin unless you have a doctors note. :confused:

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
amydalayna said:
but we're talking about inner city families. how can you enforce this sort of fine where 30% of these people are living below the poverty line.
What do you do if someone gets a speeding ticket and can't afford to pay it?

I agree that this will be a nightmare to enforce.

But if enforced, maybe it will force the parents to make the kid take responsibility for their actions... which is something SERIOUSLY lacking in this country right now. (IMO)

My wife did a story (She's a reporter) on a school in El Paso yesterday. The newsroom had received a complaint from a parent that the new principle was being overly strict and had implemented all sorts of new rules that restricted the children. This was a school that had a HUGE brawl last year, and is ranked as one of the worst in the district. Turns out that all he was doing was enforcing the existing rules. Those rules - a dress code, detention for showing up late for class, etc.

The kids were complaining on camera that it was ridiculous that they had to go to class and wear appropriate clothes. One girl even mocked the principle for trying to be 'one of those guys who makes a difference'. Buncha freakin brats....

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
Slugman said:
What do you do if someone gets a speeding ticket and can't afford to pay it?

I agree that this will be a nightmare to enforce.

But if enforced, maybe it will force the parents to make the kid take responsibility for their actions... which is something SERIOUSLY lacking in this country right now. (IMO)
if you get a speeding ticket and you can't pay for it, do your parents have to pay for it? no.

i'm not saying something needs to be done about bratty kids, but it's a very different world going to school in hartford. i can't even begin to comprehend the situations they are coming from. most of us can't... because mtn biking isn't something primarily associated with inner city kids living below the poverty line. it's a white, male, middle to upper class activity.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
mack said:
And whats so morally wrong about wearing a hat? It seems like they are occultists or somthing.
So - the first time anyone wore a hat the teacher took it without any warning? Or is it more realistic to say that the teacher asked the student(s) not to wear a hat and that student gave the teacher a hard time? Just a guess... but that's pretty much what happened at my school (MANY moons ago).

If I am right - it was the defiance of the teacher’s request/rules that got your hat taken.

mack said:
the school nurse isnt allowed to give you asprin unless you have a doctors note. :confused:
Blame frivolous lawsuits for that one... and your lack of attention for the spelling and grammar.

amydalayna said:
if you get a speeding ticket and you can't pay for it, do your parents have to pay for it? no.
But then the state takes my license and/or car away. Or I go to jail…

amydalayna said:
i'm not saying something needs to be done about bratty kids, but it's a very different world going to school in hartford. i can't even begin to comprehend the situations they are coming from. most of us can't... because mtn biking isn't something primarily associated with inner city kids living below the poverty line. it's a white, male, middle to upper class activity.
What are they victims?!? How is being unruly and disrespectful to people of authority going to change their situation? What are they supposed to do – reward this behavior, give ‘em a hug (hugs for thugs)? If you’re so poor that you can’t afford to pay a fine – smarten up dipsh*t and get an education.

And although I fit your stereotype – my wife went to school in Miami and it sounds like this school, if not worse. So I know the stories, but I also know that if you want to you can rise above it…

yonton228 said:
bull****! i would never pay that ****in , gay ass nub **** fine!
Wow, that was intelligent. Now just keep practicing "do you want fries with that".

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
**** that ****ing bull****, try to fine me ****stick I'll kick you in you ****ing cock you ****ing piece of ****. Cock Balls. I went to a really christian high school and cursed like a sailor, I didn't even think swearing was against the rules at public high school.