Quantcast

Custom hardtail builders

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Tonicfab and Bystickel were two frames I wanted to throw my money at back in the day. I always could get what I wanted from Oscar though, if I had patience.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
It's funny this comes up.

I love my new Pipedream Sirius, I do...but I'm really not enjoying the effort needed to loft the front end on my size 'longer.'

I'm starting to wonder if a custom mullet frame (with a rigid fork and 29" wheel, or a longer-travel fork and a 27.5 up front for same effective stack) might hit the geometry cues I want to make something a little more precise and poppier and maybe sharper-tracking uphill than the Sirius is. Or if there's a production frame meeting those characteristics, I'd be super psyched. Thinking like 490 reach, 66.5-67ish HA with the 29er, steepish seat tube, sliding drops...

But I'm gonna ride it for a good long while before trying something like that.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Are you going to get him to make you an evolved version of your mullet?
Haha, It's been in his hands and he pedaled it around a bit. LOL I've been poking him about building me a concentric pivot 100mm travel SS trail bike/DJ for a long time. I sent him an old Kona A frame a year ago. Now that the Mullet has arrived I am hoping we can push some of these mullet numbers into this frame I've been tossing around. The thing is, he wants one of these concentric DJ's also so if I wait long enough and help put ideas in front of him, there is a chance this may happen.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Seriously though, why does anyone want a big long steel hardtail, when an aluminum frame can be just as flexy(but much easier to tune flex on) at many pounds less mass?

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Seriously though, why does anyone want a big long steel hardtail, when an aluminum frame can be just as flexy(but much easier to tune flex on) at many pounds less mass?
How many custom alu builders are there as opposed to steel? In my mind custom =steel/titanium (unless you’re going to FTW)

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I got a hankering to design some hardtails for some homies again- we have been building them out of Ti, because I can't ever convince anyone that aluminum rules and everything else drools.

The one with the novelty fork also has a pretty dang fancy 3D printed headtube. Excited to 3d print more stuff to add unneeded expense and complication to something that should be aluminum anyway!
(these were built by Simple in PDX, but will probably use a different vendor for the next overpriced ti wizbangers(Cuz plenty of people are willing and qualified to do good Ti work domestically right now)).

I can think of another half-handful of domestic fabricators that would have fun doing a really out there aluminum hardtail frame, but, do ya wanna pay!? Getting dope bikes made to sell to people is def different than getting dope bikes made to play with ideas with your friends.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
I got a hankering to design some hardtails for some homies again- we have been building them out of Ti, because I can't ever convince anyone that aluminum rules and everything else drools.

The one with the novelty fork also has a pretty dang fancy 3D printed headtube. Excited to 3d print more stuff to add unneeded expense and complication to something that should be aluminum anyway!
(these were built by Simple in PDX, but will probably use a different vendor for the next overpriced ti wizbangers(Cuz plenty of people are willing and qualified to do good Ti work domestically right now)).

I can think of another half-handful of domestic fabricators that would have fun doing a really out there aluminum hardtail frame, but, do ya wanna pay!? Getting dope bikes made to sell to people is def different than getting dope bikes made to play with ideas with your friends.
What’s with the ritte decals? Bikes looks sweet - always love seeing your creations.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Okay, I'm intrigued. I haven't ridden a modern super aggro aluminum hardtail that rides particularly well, but I definitely think that's more down to few people making them, rather than it not being possible.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Always thought that ti and steel were used for custom frames over aluminum as there is much less of a penalty using straight gage tubing.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
All this talk of steel and flex seems like a carry-over from the 90s xc days. My sovereign was stiff as can be. 31.6mm seatpost probably had a lot to do with it. Big fat tubes all around (for steel anyway).

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
When the day comes I'll have a mountain of linkage and CAD files to revisit. I've had a lot of ideas over the years.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Pole Taival 4130 frame seems pretty close, would needs a angleset but not available... and Pole, but maybe there steel frames are ok?

Last edited:

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Cool! That will be fun one day.

PVD’s latest build with his latest frame jig. That’s a lotta printed parts. I would like a table like that.

View attachment 180322
I believe the table design is his own and open source?

Edit: you’ve already stated it is his table, my reading comprehension is off today

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
All this talk of steel and flex seems like a carry-over from the 90s xc days. My sovereign was stiff as can be. 31.6mm seatpost probably had a lot to do with it. Big fat tubes all around (for steel anyway).
Yeah my old .243 frame was at least as stiff as many aluminum frames and my last POS was made in 853 and rode like shit. My Marino is pretty stiff too but I asked them to use the strongest tubes they could use because their off brand Chinese welders and cheap frame prices scared me, white people problems I guess.

At the other end of the spectrum, when I was racing my old On-One I'd have to pump the brakes after a rough-ish high speed section because the frame flexed so much it would make the pads retract.
I have cracked a few aluminum frames but have only damaged one steel one when I hit a tree with my BB/chainring at speed.

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
Cool! That will be fun one day.

PVD’s latest build with his latest frame jig. That’s a lotta printed parts. I would like a table like that.

View attachment 180322
i'd think his super slack ST / stubby CS designs would be *terrible* to actually ride (at least for my usage case). be looping out all over the place on the climbs (and likely struggling for front traction on the downs). curious what his design philosophy is. regardless, i assume it serves his needs just fine, and it's cool to see people dabbling outside the norms to see "what if".

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
i'd think his super slack ST / stubby CS designs would be *terrible* to actually ride (at least for my usage case). be looping out all over the place on the climbs (and likely struggling for front traction on the downs). curious what his design philosophy is. regardless, i assume it serves his needs just fine, and it's cool to see people dabbling outside the norms to see "what if".
I completely agree. The geo and theories aren’t for me either but I like to see how he makes them. I’m looking at the tools, jigs and techniques when I check out his stuff.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I completely agree. The geo and theories aren’t for me either but I like to see how he makes them. I’m looking at the tools, jigs and techniques when I check out his stuff.
Yup, we can agree to disagree on geometry, but I'm not going to hate on a guy going and building what he wants, and it's cool that he shares so much info on the process.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
The rad thing about Pete Verdone is that he's been around "the mtb industry" since Inception, working at Fat Chance with a freshly minted enginerding degree. Pete was probably one of the first people to leave the mtb industry.

But man, BIKES ARE AWESOME. Once you start, you just can't stop.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Pole Taival 4130 frame seems pretty close, would needs a angleset but not available... and Pole, but maybe there steel frames are ok?

A friend of mine had one of those and the rear end would flex so much that the tires would rub despite having significant clearance when static. Steel was too real in that case.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
I remember that BTR helped Pole to build their first full suspension prototypes. I doubt that BTR would build a batch of Taival and I wonder who did build them?

Last edited:

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
What’s with the ritte decals? Bikes looks sweet - always love seeing your creations.
The Creative Director at Ritte was a shop grom of mine when he was in middleschool(he was a masterful 13y/o Ridemonkey dh forum troll) and an enthusiastic consumer of my hand-me-down Sinisters. After starting a custom apparel business in college and selling it off, he moved from MA to Los Angeles and started working for Rapha, and then he got hired to incubate a new version of the Ritte brand after the founder left.
When yer homies have the opportunity to sell uber deluxe custom bikes, you gotta help them out. I kinda supervise the geo on the custom ti bikes(especially the mtb's) and noted(recently retired) custom frame builder Tom Kellogg of Spectrum supervises the geo and tube selection for the production drop bar bikes. Fun little hobby for me. When I visit LA it definitely feels like work though.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
The Creative Director at Ritte was a shop grom of mine when he was in middleschool(he was a masterful 13y/o Ridemonkey dh forum troll) and an enthusiastic consumer of my hand-me-down Sinisters. After starting a custom apparel business in college and selling it off, he moved from MA to Los Angeles and started working for Rapha, and then he got hired to incubate a new version of the Ritte brand after the founder left.
When yer homies have the opportunity to sell uber deluxe custom bikes, you gotta help them out. I kinda supervise the geo on the custom ti bikes(especially the mtb's) and noted(recently retired) custom frame builder Tom Kellogg of Spectrum supervises the geo and tube selection for the production drop bar bikes. Fun little hobby for me. When I visit LA it definitely feels like work though.
Interesting story and connection - the bikes just seemed unlike the Ritte I know (especially the Trust equipped one), the change in ownership and direction makes sense.