Quantcast

custom lexan bashrings

neilan11

Chimp
Apr 26, 2004
im goign to be machining some lexan bashrings. Im working on a larger prototype ring for a chainguide but after it is done i am considering taking orders for customs ones whith engraved graphics or words of your choice on them and differnt ring sizes and crank bolt paterns. there should be sweet and are going to be very high quality .375 inch thick (about like the evil ones) lexan and cnc'ed for precision.
I will post up some pictures as soon as I finish
tell me if your interested

neilan11

Chimp
Apr 26, 2004
ya it shouldnt be to bad soem material i can get for free some may have to be paid for but its not that expensive i figure a 30$ peice i can make 3 rings that is once i run out of free material, and i can work with peopel deisgning them to their liking showing designs before there made

neilan11

Chimp
Apr 26, 2004
ya if you just email me at bgneilan@comcast.net with pictures of a design or pictue you want on it with a short description i cna design it laong with crnak size and what you want plate diameter to be( i dont really know how big the different tooth chainrings are so youl have to measure)
If people have ideas now i cna work on the designs over the holdiays and prob have almost everyoens done by end of january depending on how many peopel atcually want one
i estimate cost to be 30 shipped

neilan11

Chimp
Apr 26, 2004
The one i am making right now (prototype) for my blackspire guide is goign to have 8 studs inlayed in it im using the ends of 45 cal bullet shells cut off for inlayed studs it should be tight

neilan11

Chimp
Apr 26, 2004
im trying to cut the stuff soon it shouldnt be to much of a problem as the same machines cut steel like butter

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
neilan11 said:
im trying to cut the stuff soon it shouldnt be to much of a problem as the same machines cut steel like butter
Well, it is a different machine, but the same concept.

If anyone remembers, I made myself and a friend aluminum ones last year. I still have enough to cut one more for a second ring guard. I can only make one - but I got the aluminum for so cheap that I can almost let this last one go for free!! Dont miss out on this one time offer! Any takers? :D Not to ruin Neilans buisness or anything... :blah:

Here is a pic of my bike with it on...

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
neilan11 said:
Lexan doesn;t exactly cut like butter, when it heats up it contracts making it bullit resistent. It'll prolly be alot harder than steel to cut.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
JMAC said:
Lexan doesn;t exactly cut like butter, when it heats up it contracts making it bullit resistent. It'll prolly be alot harder than steel to cut.
Hmmm, maybe he should ask the teacher about this... *HINT to Neilan11* :blah:

I can make an aluminum one for almost no money, second chain ring only, 4 bolt. Any takers? Just PM me. :D (I've made 2 of these already, I know what I'm doing)

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
IMO i think one made of alum would be just as good maybe lighhter, but most of all a whole lot easier to make.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
JMAC said:
IMO i think one made of alum would be just as good maybe lighhter, but most of all a whole lot easier to make.
Yeah, its simple. Just give me a PM if you want one - anyone. I can custom engrave anything that I can draw. :p I know one thing, the aluminum ones can take some good beatings!

McT

Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
Texas
I might be interested... what color is the lexan.. clear? How many words can you fit on a 32T ring?

neilan11

Chimp
Apr 26, 2004
ya right now im gonna be making one on clear and prob ordering soem more lexan in clear but if people want it would cost more to have colored

McT

Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
Texas
dwaugh said:
What size of font would you want to use, and what font? Just so you know, I'm with Neilan11, I'm his assistant I guess you could call me.
I'd have to find a font, since i know little about them... I'd like "Seek out your bliss" in the biggest letters possible, but not looking rediculous.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
McT said:
I'd have to find a font, since i know little about them... I'd like "Seek out your bliss" in the biggest letters possible, but not looking rediculous.
That's do-able. You want it in lexan or aluminum? What size is a 32t ring? Is that the normal size for bashrings?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
You may want to do a search in the DH forum for this (not sure if it's still there, or if it's dropped off the face of Ridemonkey - the discussion was a while ago), but there was a whole thread on lexan bashguards, and it was mentioned that pure lexan is not nearly as impact resistant as whatever allow that E.13 uses for their bashguards.

It's always cool to make your own stuff, of course :D - not a discouragement, just something to think about.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
I think Neilan11 will have to start using aluminum instead of lexan because, well, it's just easier. I'll have to talk to him about this. ;) But for now I'll be taking the orders. Even if I do take and design all of the orders I will give him some of the profits because he just broke his frame... And he will be milling some of them during his class time.

:monkey: