Quantcast

Custom Paint Helmet Thread!!

juanbeegas

Monkey
May 6, 2008
Singapore
i'm just wondering if any of the professionals out there can give me tips or advice on how to get the lines perfectly straight. Are there any special techniques or is it just a case of being very patient until i get the tape perfectly lined up?
Not a pro, not by a long shot, but I've worked with stencils and airbrushing before. You could use tape of different widths to get the lines you'd need. Otherwise, it's just patience, a good eye and steady hands.

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
thought you guys would like to see this. I just finished up a mask for Tuukka Rask of the Boston Bruins. The paintjob is for the Winter Classic game Friday at Fenway.

M@LPHY

Monkey
Oct 6, 2004
the Netherlands
Are there any special techniques or is it just a case of being very patient until i get the tape perfectly lined up?
Just find the centerline of the D2!

And work from there on... using painterstape for alignment / measurement to lay on your 3M Fineline tape or whichever vinyl tape you're using.

Remember; because of the fin it wil taper out at the back.

Check and re-check before painting!!! PREPPING IS KEY.

M@LPHY

Monkey
Oct 6, 2004
the Netherlands
clean water is the key to the whole system.
Really?

The true KEY is the prepping!

?

You need a flawless highgloss black basecaot!

All WILL show through, sanding marks, minor dust particles.

But then again 9 out 10 all those 'systems' are purely for decoration.

Let's see how the 'chrome' will held up with numerous masking like with an actual helmet paintjob.

Alsa 'MirraChrome', House of Kolor 'Kosmic Chrome' don't have the sheen like 'true' chrome. Like a chrome dip (metalizing) or chrome Nitrating!

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Really?

The true KEY is the prepping!

Alsa 'MirraChrome', House of Kolor 'Kosmic Chrome' don't have the sheen like 'true' chrome. Like a chrome dip (metalizing) or chrome Nitrating!
use dirty water next time you try it. see how well it works. obviously prep work is key to any paint job

and obviously nothing will shine like chrome dipping a product.

Last edited:

eater

Monkey
Nov 25, 2005
Switzerland
my friend make his helmet tld d2 carbon on the left side is plain carbon with the monster energie M

duke monster ltd

Last edited:

666hell

Chimp
Jan 28, 2010
longueuil, QC
how did you paint the yellow? did you mask off the black? I have the same helmet as a back up and wanted to do something similar. I have never once painted a helmet, though.
its pretty simple. i have mask all the helmet with scotch tape, and a cut the tape for painted the old white color in yellow.

see my album "old photo"

DHJUNKIE

Monkey
Sep 27, 2001
Cromwell, CT
Lotta great helmets on here. Just wondering, does anyone have a blank ms paint friendly (i dont have photoshop) blank of a fox moto helmet? or can make one for me to save? I wanna do a quick paint job of a helmet paintjob im thinking about.

JamesOliver

Chimp
Dec 26, 2009
Finished painting my helmet a while ago but forgot to post some pictures so here it is. I'm really pleased with the results considering it was the first helmet i've ever painted.

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
I have a D2 that is way past it's prime, but I like wearing it while riding for fun because it's less obtrusive than my Thor moto lid.

I'd like to get the D2 painted before my trip out west this summer (June19th).

Would anyone on here be interested in painting it for me? PM me with some price estimates.
I'm looking for a pretty simple paintjob. Either plain matte black or perhaps some two-color scheme involving the WVU colors; all blue w/ offset yellow racing stripe?

Gimme some prices! I'm willing to ship the helmet ASAP if someone want's to work out a deal. Thanks.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
thanks for the help Butch. wasn't quite sure who to contact...

not to hi-jack, but how'd you fare this past weekend @ Mass'o'Nothin?
3rd in the fantastical realm of "Open" class. It's where Semi-pros who think it's silly to automaticly bump into Pro class go when they don't have a NORBA license. My time would have won my age group in 30+ Cat 1 or been in the bottom 2/3 of Pro....so not bad for a fat, old man. ;) Where were you?

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
3rd in the fantastical realm of "Open" class. It's where Semi-pros who think it's silly to automaticly bump into Pro class go when they don't have a NORBA license. My time would have won my age group in 30+ Cat 1 or been in the bottom 2/3 of Pro....so not bad for a fat, old man. ;) Where were you?
school, son! finals are a bee-yotch. I was there in spirit

P.S. - sandbagger! :rofl: gonna catch hell for that one

my friend Stacy runs Paint House customs.
he can pretty much do whatever you want
http://painthousecustoms.blogspot.com/
yea sure, sick work, but $425 for a matte-black paintjob?
for a college student? - me thinks not. :(

plus costs for removal of current paintjob? not really in my price range...

Last edited:

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
i've always wanted to paint a toilet, never had the time though. I wanted to make it look like a big monster so that when you lift up the lid, it's the thing's mouth opening to eat your sh!t.

on a side note, I'll throw George Ryan's lid up here when it's done at the end of the week.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
i've always wanted to paint a toilet, never had the time though. I wanted to make it look like a big monster so that when you lift up the lid, it's the thing's mouth opening to eat your sh!t.

on a side note, I'll throw George Ryan's lid up here when it's done at the end of the week.
cant wait to see GR lid.

luke D your next post is 666 make it a good one...

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
A couple new ones I painted for the lady. The rabbit grenade helmet is for riding an old moped, hence the pedals and exhaust pipes.