Quantcast

Custom Paint Helmet Thread!!

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
Im gonna paint my helmet.
Has anyone done the full helmet using brushes and masking it?
I will do the clear coat in spray form but everything else I was think of doing hand.
As the design I have in mind is pretty color full and has lots of detail etc in it
Thanks
don't do it. you will see the paint strokes unless you are a decent pinstriper/illustrator.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Im gonna paint my helmet.
Has anyone done the full helmet using brushes and masking it?
I will do the clear coat in spray form but everything else I was think of doing hand.
As the design I have in mind is pretty color full and has lots of detail etc in it
Thanks
Ok. Here is mine.

Bear in mind it used a single can of white spraypaint, some black paint I had laying around and the finest paintbrush I could find in the house.

The designs are my take on traditional NZ Maori 'koru' designs.

Total cost = 8 euros (about 12USD).

My neighbour is a car resprayer, so he clearcoated it for free. I wouldn't advise clearcoating it yourself.

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
don't do it. you will see the paint strokes unless you are a decent pinstriper/illustrator.
Well what I was gonna do was go buy a airbrush for the compressor.
Then order house of kolor paints.Just car ones?
Or is it any specific paints you need?
Then mask the full helmet after I had the design and then do it a base color of white with the airbrush.Once dry I was gonna go hard at with the paintbrushes.
I was going to do that.

But are airbrushes as good to get fine lines etc
Or do you have to use the masking technique.

Also I have a painted carbon lid at present whats best to strip it down to the carbon/surface.
Wet and dry down till all the paint/ clearcoat is off and it flat.
Cheers advance
S

DH4EVER

Chimp
Jul 3, 2008
Hey, I'm not sure if this has been asked yet, but I am planning on painting my helmet soon. And I wanted to know if anyone knew where to get the rubber trim, the current trim will not go with the paint scheme.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Riffle gets his second custom rubber sponsor helmet in a single season. I liked the old one better. Not bad though.

Whether intentional or not, that big red stripe down the middle sure reminds one of a vajj.

Ringer

Monkey
Mar 4, 2008
So on a D2, is there any probs with regular spray can paint sticking? what kind of prep is needed?

ridenorcal

Chimp
Apr 28, 2008
Gnar-Cal
I am thinking about sanding the paint off my troy lee d2 carbon and having it raw carbon with a custom sticker job. does anybody have any tips for doing this? what grain sandpaper works the best? does it need a finish after being sanded down?

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
I am thinking about sanding the paint off my troy lee d2 carbon and having it raw carbon with a custom sticker job. does anybody have any tips for doing this? what grain sandpaper works the best? does it need a finish after being sanded down?
I am in process of the same job right now.
I started with 160 grit wet and light sanding. I then moved up gradually to 220, 320, 400, 600, 800, 1000 then 2000 since I had it, to get it smooth and even.
I will post pictures in the coming month.
I will be making decals myself and then clear coating it with 3 coats, sanding in between each one. I am going for the same look as blenkinsop's helmet
I might have a professional car painter clear it for me.

Last edited:

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Here is my drawing, just finished it.
Everything that is black will be carbon fiber from the helmet. The helmet is a TLD D2 Carbon. The left side will have the same style as Blenkinsop's helmet and the right has a samurai theme. The helmet is prepped and ready for paint and decals. I should have it done in the next few weeks.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Exactly. Anyone else is no big deal. Redbull IS it's logo though. The only other company I know who used to protect their logo with the same ferocity was no fear.
In my mind it would be the stigma of being a toolbag that would prevent me from running a fake RB lid, not the potential legal backlash from RB.

Fake RB gear is quite possibly the ultimate statement of douchebaggery. I have seen guys wearing RB hats that I knew for a fact were not sponsored by RB and all I could think was what a tool they were. Same would go for a helmet, if not even more so. Nothing says "I'm a complete wanna be" more than a fake RB lid or hat.

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Host them on photobucket,There they give you a full ready to stick on forum image code.
A etard could even host pics now a days....:)

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
You painted them or they are your 4 helmets painted in red bull colors because you wanna be down with the kids?
Haha

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
looks like the helmets for the TLD supermoto team...
ding ding! or at least A moto team sponsored by RB...

-Red bull jerseys hanging below
-other TLD paraphanalia in the background
-the reflection of the helmet looks as if this is a booth in a moto pit

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
because that's exactly what they are. or were i should say, i think those are from '07.

so what exactly was the point of posting that pic anyway?
ya I know... it was a roundabout way of saying, they aren't his :) i should throw up a few pics of some superbike riders I paint for and say they are me haha

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
Luke, being a goalie, I would be surprised if you have not seen this but IMO this is about as bad ass as a helmet gets.
yup, i've definitely seen that. i'm not sure who painted it, i could figure it out fairly easily but just haven't bothered to look lol there are very few goalie mask painters out there who are decent believe it or not. reason being..goalies don't like to pay a decent job. it's a totally different world than motoX or race bikes. two of the best quality painters out there are frank cipra and daveart. most of the others are hacks. they might look half way decent on tv but once u get them in your hands it looks like a 3rd grader painted them.

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
because that's exactly what they are. or were i should say, i think those are from '07.

so what exactly was the point of posting that pic anyway?
Umm...it was in response to Sean's "douchebag" comments directed both jokingly at me (for my obvious e-neptitude in pic posting), and seriously at anyone who is tool enough to paint their personal helmet with a RedBull theme...

...and no, I do not actually own 4 TLD/RedBull supermoto replica helmets... :disgust:

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
Umm...it was in response to Sean's "douchebag" comments directed both jokingly at me (for my obvious e-neptitude in pic posting), and seriously at anyone who is tool enough to paint their personal helmet with a RedBull theme...

...and no, I do not actually own 4 TLD/RedBull supermoto replica helmets... :disgust:

haha if you did you could probably sell them for a pretty penny then be prepared for red bull to come after you haha

M@LPHY

Monkey
Oct 6, 2004
the Netherlands
Nah... the 'pinstripe' is cutplotted chrome vinylfoil.
(there's no One Shot paint in chrome)

The chrome trimming is a screentrimming normally used on crotchrocket sportbikes.

Ordered these through eBay.: look for err. ? ? ? aah yes, AirBlade screens.
(i guess in the US a local sportsbike shop might help you out, perhaps from another brand?)

They come in assorted colors; Gold, Chrome, 3D Halo Silver, Metallic Red 'n Blue.

Rip the TLD trimmings of and clean it up underneath...
The trimmings i used are also shorter/thinner so the factory design/livery will peep underneath when applied without cleaning up.

Testfit them first before cutting them down, let them set as some 'shrinkage' will occur.

And lay 'em in warm water as to straighten 'em.

Good luck sourcing and applying,

ps. Stripping? I leave the TLD trimmings on and liner in, sand the helmet down, primer it after taping/masking off the ducts, screwmountings, chinstrap rivet, trimmings and the eyeport and headport. After priming i renew the masking. Then add a white basecoat and of you go...

Sourcing the same type TLD trimmings got me nowhere.
These are also plastic instead of rubber unlike a Arai helmet where you can remove these.

Last edited: