Quantcast

Custom S&M

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
That is rad. Love the Comp III's, Prince Alberts and the Mad Dog graphics!

This is f'n funny:

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Landon, are you saying it's made of ti? I'm pretty sure it's chromo.
The bullet stay end caps are very common on Ti bikes, and almost never used on steel.
That, and what looks like a "raw" finish with no coloring around the joints. Looks like Ti to me, but I could be wrong.

If it's Ti, maybe a new name could be:

The EAF. Expensive-As-F*ck.

Looks like a very fun event.

-L

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Hmmm, interesting. Somebody on bikeguide speculated that it's "Air-hardened Triple-butted 853 Raynolds Tubing." Know anything about that?

You're right in that it does look like ti. I'd just be very surprised if S&M went that route.

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
also why did they go with what looks like old odyssey 41 thermal cranks and not a more recent model? why skimp at that point?

if you high polish steel, will it get rid of the weld burns?

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
I guess you could clean-up a steel frame to achieve that look, but the apparent quality of the finish and the Bullet caps make me think Ti.

The tapered stays are new for S&M too. Minus BlackMarket.

I doubt S&M would put a chainstay yoke tube on the LTF's. I don't think those are cool at the moment.

I might be wroing about this too, but those cranks look a lot like the old S&M Prince Alberts. The pedal and spindle bosses pierced the crank arm.
Pretty rare I believe.

Could be wrong about any of it.

-L

cornfed

Monkey
Jul 30, 2007
That thing is sick like go to the doctor sick.

It could be Ti; It looks like polished steel to me. The welds don't look like they have that buttery flow to them like Ti usually has. I'm not sure if it's the extra argon from back purging Ti or just the way a Ti puddle flows and cools but a Ti bead looks different to me...unless someone @ S&M just learned how to weld Ti... :biggrin: J/K....

Regardless, that bike is NICE!

standard125r

Chimp
Dec 7, 2006
its definitely steel,
according to the site its electroless black nickel plated,

its based on the new ltf but has alot of custom touches that you wont see on the production frames,

how nice is that seat?
best bmx bike i've seen for years:clapping:

standard125r

Chimp
Dec 7, 2006
That thing is sick like go to the doctor sick.

It could be Ti; It looks like polished steel to me. The welds don't look like they have that buttery flow to them like Ti usually has. I'm not sure if it's the extra argon from back purging Ti or just the way a Ti puddle flows and cools but a Ti bead looks different to me...unless someone @ S&M just learned how to weld Ti... :biggrin: J/K....

Regardless, that bike is NICE!

heres the welds from my ti reaper for you! lol,

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
sickness with the trickness.

looks very similar to Scerbo's proto LTF, chainstay yoke and all... but like Landon pointed out, scerbo's chromo frame had plates with vent holes drilled in them welded onto the end of the stays, not the "bulleted" style seen here...

that seat would probably tear up your thighs like mad!

Vlad

Chimp
Jun 16, 2007
This is probably a revision of Scerbo's prototype. I think it looks great, but I'll stick with my Stricker.