Quantcast

Custom ti frame build has begun.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
this.
if you want fancy, Ti is the way to go, but Al and steel are plenty durable.
Wish I could say the same. I've had 3 lightweight aluminum XC bikes over the years, all 3 have failed at some point in their lifetime. My last one failed twice in one year. Steel, well that's another thing altogether... I love steel bikes, but they are a bit heavy... my roadie is steel, and my SS will be steel eventually.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Looks like it will be cool..... That is if it ever gets to you :D. You get pics of it yet?
Not yet. He told me he'd send me photos of progress last week and probably ship it this week. Also said that he's working on only my bike right now... If it doesn't ship by next week it means he straight up lied to me in which case I'll pull the plug on the project and be done with it. At this point I'm fully expecting disappointment, My shop has already contacted Moots for me about availability and price, so I'm locked and loaded.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Wish I could say the same. I've had 3 lightweight aluminum XC bikes over the years, all 3 have failed at some point in their lifetime. My last one failed twice in one year. Steel, well that's another thing altogether... I love steel bikes, but they are a bit heavy... my roadie is steel, and my SS will be steel eventually.
weren't all 3 bikes of yours that failed from the same company? :clue:

steel is only heavy because you're buying from the wrong companies. steel can easily be made as light as alu.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
that just sounds like a company who cant make a bike properly. ive seen plenty of quality aluminum bikes last a long time even under heavy abuse (as much abuse as a XC racer can dish out.)
steel can be heavy but high-end steel bikes arent.
the only custom mfg we deal with now is Rock Lobster who makes a great steel mtb, road and cyclocross frame that is actually pretty damn light.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Quick update. I was able to put a Moots MXYBB on hold until Monday. After doing that I started typing a letter to John @ Dean saying that I'll wait no longer than Monday (2 weeks past the agreed upon delivery date).

Note: I have an endurance race in early January and I don't want to do it on my Alu SS. I expected to already have a bike built and ready by now.

Anyway, as I was typing that, he sent me an e-mail that said he's been in the back all day working on my frame... "coming along nicely. I'll do my best to snap a few photos for you tomorrow afternoon".

With that I put my e-mail on hold, and said "thanks I'll look forward to that" I also reiterated my concerns about the deadline and the race in January. I have been promised these photos twice before... if I don't see them tomorrow afternoon I'll proceed with executing plan: Fvck this sh!t I'm getting a Moots. Where I will let him know he has until Monday.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Two weeks
If I see photos then I'll give him the 2 weeks.

If he craps out on sending photos again I'm going to call bullsh!t and tell him that he has till Monday EOD to get me a tracking number. If he sends the photos and it looks like the build has just begun, I'm going to call liar and cancel my order on the spot because that's just dishonorable.

Monday is the magic day because the hold on the Moots expires on Monday... They have only one 2012 MXYBB in stock in my size, and their policy is, 1 week hold only. After that it's another several weeks till another one rolls out.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
That's true... but with the reputation that they have, I'm already locked and loaded for disappointment. As for the timeline... we did agree on an early December timeline... I based my decision on his word that they'd hit it... and I told him that.

Oh yeah... no deposit. Probably wouldn't have given them the go-ahead if they had wanted half up front or something like that.
then there is a seriously good chance that they haven't thought about starting to make your frame...
A company that is building anything custom out of Ti that takes no deposit........ Specially with something with as much Ti as a bike frame......... Really has no care on their own time frames, and no drive to want to make their time frames........... My guess is that even now the tubing still hasn't been cut

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
A company that is building anything custom out of Ti that takes no deposit........ Specially with something with as much Ti as a bike frame......... Really has no care on their own time frames, and no drive to want to make their time frames........... My guess is that even now the tubing still hasn't been cut
May be. Very curious to see these progress photos. If that's the case then there is a YBB in my future. It would be one thing if he were honest about being behind... but he's been telling me for 2 weeks that he's been working exclusively on my frame, will send photos in the next few days, and keeps telling me he's on time and will be shipping the frame soon. That's just flat out lying because it's not on time, I have not seen photos... and if I see a pile of tubes in the photo I'm going to be pretty pissed.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
its funny how golgi is having a hissy fit despite being told in advance that this builder was known for delays. he must've thought he was a unique and special snowflake.

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
May be. Very curious to see these progress photos. If that's the case then there is a YBB in my future. It would be one thing if he were honest about being behind... but he's been telling me for 2 weeks that he's been working exclusively on my frame, will send photos in the next few days, and keeps telling me he's on time and will be shipping the frame soon. That's just flat out lying because it's not on time, I have not seen photos... and if I see a pile of tubes in the photo I'm going to be pretty pissed.

I'd feel totally different about this if he would have said, I'm behind schedule,
Make sure to get the newspaper shot in these photos.

Last edited:

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
its funny how golgi is having a hissy fit despite being told in advance that this builder was known for delays. he must've thought he was a unique and special snowflake.
I'm hardly in a fit, nor did I think I was unique. He said he had improved his teams build scheduling over the last year and that my frame would be completed on time... I took him at his word I'm simply holding him to that word. I have nothing to lose here... worst case scenario is that I end up riding a Moots YBB, things could be worse, that's for sure.

Regardless of the outcome, at least it will/has made for entertaining RM drama.

Last edited:

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
After learning how far along he is via e-mail this AM, i.e. still mitering the stays (and still no photos). I sent him the, "Monday options for another bike will be on the table". He replied wanting to talk via phone.

So we did... and he wanted to assure me that he is working on my frame only and trying to get it perfect... he said that it's is all mitered and fixtured... will be welded, aligned, finished and should ship by Friday... that seems like a lot to do in 2 days! But I'm no frame builder so what do I know... anyone know if this sounds realistic at all?

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Mitering and fixturing is the majority of the work. Welding and finish straightening could be done in a few hours.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
True. A normal shop could be done in half a day. Who knows how long yours might take to finish from 'almost done'.