Quantcast

custom tool boxes

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Just curious, did anyone else look into these awesome custom tool boxes only to realize that 95% of the time, you are working on your bike at home now? I was thinking about doing one, but I have been building up my bikes from scratch all by myself at home, and I am thinking I would get way more out of a better organized home wall setup. I am obsessed with quality bike tools now, and I need to upgrade my setup.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Just curious, did anyone else look into these awesome custom tool boxes only to realize that 95% of the time, you are working on your bike at home now? I was thinking about doing one, but I have been building up my bikes from scratch all by myself at home, and I am thinking I would get way more out of a better organized home wall setup. I am obsessed with quality bike tools now, and I need to upgrade my setup.
most of my bike work is done at home anyways. i have a tiny box for local rides to keep in the car (just in case) but if/when i start doing longer road trips or even racing DH again i'd want to have a more comprehensive toolbox. right now i'm still working on acquiring the tools i'd want in it before i start.

Loki87

Monkey
Aug 24, 2008
Salzburg, Austria
So today I finally started my own toolbox. During lock down I've been lusting after those sweet builds they show on toolbox wars and decided it was finally time to get something nice for myself.
So this is what I've got so far. My most used tools will be in the lid and the top layer, followed by two more layers of other tools I use less frequently. The bottom layer will consist of two sorting boxes for small parts, brake bleeding equipment and maybe some first aid kit if there's still a bit of room left.
Still need to cut the finger holes, but I didn't feel like firing up the blow torch tonight. I will also need to order a magnet to back up the big hex key. I shouldn't have started cutting with the heaviest piece in the lid, because I cut slightly too wide and it's not a tight enough fit to keep it in place all the time. Should be an easy fix though.
So far I'm pretty damn happy with it, even though cutting all those hex keys was a real pain.

Attachments

Loki87

Monkey
Aug 24, 2008
Salzburg, Austria
Got the box about 90% done.
The blue case will probably be swapped for another one containing a small med kit, as this box is intended to be able to provide pretty much anything I'd need on a regular downhill/park weekend. The bottom foam layer will have tools added as the need for them arises. I will definitely redo the lid insert as I have made the cuts for the big hex key too wide and sometimes they did fall out. In an effort to resolve the problem I made the cut deeper, which did help, but isn't as pleasant to look at and work with. So far it does work though and I will first see if I'm happy with the layout in the long run. I have also added some magnets on the top part of the lid which are great for holding tools when not in use and prevents the top layer from getting cluttered with loose tools while working out of the trunk of my car.
The lower part I kept modular with the small cases as I feel there's always need for some spare parts like tubes, tape etc which always change depending on your current setup, so I wasn't comfortable with going with foam for all five layers. The grey tube contains zipties.
I glued the 50mm foam sheets onto some sheets of PE foam to keep them from flexing and eventually breaking. They also provided me the base to attach the handles.
The whole project was a lot of fun and I can only recommend building a nice toolbox for yourselves. It feels really good to always know where every tool is and not dig through loose tools anymore.
Just grab the box and go.
Cat for size comparison.
IMG_20201014_233653.jpg
IMG_20201014_233540.jpg
IMG_20201014_235622356.jpg
IMG_20201014_233438.jpg
IMG_20201014_233401.jpg
IMG_20201014_233222.jpg
_IMG_000000_000000.jpg
IMG_20201015_000417.jpg

Last edited:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I have a small travel toolcase that I have been thinking of replacing or rebuilding with the fancy foam. (currently worn out elastic straps) Not sure if it is worth putting more money into foam than the case is worth. It is the thin metal style you find poker chips etc similar to this.
1602718946115.png

It is 27 x 20 x 4 cm internal. So no full rebuilds, just what you may need for a day at the trails or park. Allen/torx keys, spoke wrench, rotor truing tool, pressure gauge, chain tools and links, chain lube, tire levers etc.

Any recommendations on foam or where to get it?
Kaizen is the only one I know about.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Got the box about 90% done.
The blue case will probably be swapped for another one containing a small med kit, as this box is intended to be able to provide pretty much anything I'd need on a regular downhill/park weekend. The bottom foam layer will have tools added as the need for them arises. I will definitely redo the lid insert as I have made the cuts for the big hex key too wide and sometimes they did fall out. In an effort to resolve the problem I made the cut deeper, which did help, but isn't as pleasant to look at and work with. So far it does work though and I will first see if I'm happy with the layout in the long run. I have also added some magnets on the top part of the lid which are great for holding tools when not in use and prevents the top layer from getting cluttered with loose tools while working out of the trunk of my car.
The lower part I kept modular with the small cases as I feel there's always need for some spare parts like tubes, tape etc which always change depending on your current setup, so I wasn't comfortable with going with foam for all five layers. The grey tube contains zipties.
I glued the 50mm foam sheets onto some sheets of PE foam to keep them from flexing and eventually breaking. They also provided me the base to attach the handles.
The whole project was a lot of fun and I can only recommend building a nice toolbox for yourselves. It feels really good to always know where every tool is and not dig through loose tools anymore.
Just grab the box and go.
Cat for size comparison.View attachment 150884View attachment 150885View attachment 150886View attachment 150888View attachment 150889View attachment 150890View attachment 150891View attachment 150893
Do you have a Proxxon Rotary ratchet at all? A 1/4" one of them would be awesome for working on a bike.
Also, I always found having Loctite on its side ends up with a poking and a probing to get it to work again, wish they'd put a pin in the cap like some of the supa glue bottles.

Loki87

Monkey
Aug 24, 2008
Salzburg, Austria
Do you have a Proxxon Rotary ratchet at all? A 1/4" one of them would be awesome for working on a bike.
Also, I always found having Loctite on its side ends up with a poking and a probing to get it to work again, wish they'd put a pin in the cap like some of the supa glue bottles.
Yeah, the small one in the lid is a bit socket ratchet which directly accepts the pbswiss bits. It's super handy for tighter spaces and lighter than a standard 1/4".
It also has the advantage of not being as space restricted by an additional bit adapter as a 1/4", which I've found to be quite handy when working on bikes. And since I use long bits for better access to some components, the bit ratchet ends up with less wobble and unnecessary length. Since I prefer the other bit holders for some work to a ratchet, I decided to skip the standard 1/4" ratchet and just go with the big one for fork top caps, crank arms and bottom brackets as those are the situations I like using a ratchet and wanted it to be durable. I have a lot of overlap as is and the 1/4" was the one that didn't make the cut because it would rarely get used.
The thing about the loctite is that it's really hard to find the correct orientation, especially since I don't always store the box in a flat position. I actually keep it on the side most of the time, so that works out to an upright position most of the time. A needle in the top cap would be sweet though. Now that you say it, I will definitely add a needle to the small compartment box!

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Yeah, the small one in the lid is a bit socket ratchet which directly accepts the pbswiss bits. It's super handy for tighter spaces and lighter than a standard 1/4".
It also has the advantage of not being as space restricted by an additional bit adapter as a 1/4", which I've found to be quite handy when working on bikes. And since I use long bits for better access to some components, the bit ratchet ends up with less wobble and unnecessary length. Since I prefer the other bit holders for some work to a ratchet, I decided to skip the standard 1/4" ratchet and just go with the big one for fork top caps, crank arms and bottom brackets as those are the situations I like using a ratchet and wanted it to be durable. I have a lot of overlap as is and the 1/4" was the one that didn't make the cut because it would rarely get used.
The thing about the loctite is that it's really hard to find the correct orientation, especially since I don't always store the box in a flat position. I actually keep it on the side most of the time, so that works out to an upright position most of the time. A needle in the top cap would be sweet though. Now that you say it, I will definitely add a needle to the small compartment box!
Sweet, I didn't know they had one that was a direct fit for hex bits, I'm going to get one of these for work and if it is any good for the bike box too. Having the 1/4 drive in the end of handle will make it stupidly helpful for tightening hose clamps set at stupid orientations.

I bought this which has the rotating handle but it sucks, flip flop head, bits get stuck in it and it misses some important sizes.
1602763808202.png

Loki87

Monkey
Aug 24, 2008
Salzburg, Austria
So far I like the Proxxon. No floppyness, but the magnet is a bit weak. Makes for easy bit swaps though. I had the small one made by Wera, but it was too small for my taste and the bits were a really tight fit and rather hard to get out of the socket, which wasn't what I was looking for in such a small size, though all around a pretty neat tool. So if size doesn't matter, check that one out. It's also a good price and you get the great Wera bits on top. Wiha, Hazet and Gedore make one as well I believe. They're just as small as the Wera one though. The Proxxon is just that tiny bit bigger to actually be able to apply some torque when necessary and doesn't feel like a precision tool only.
I almost ordered the twist handle Proxxon, but then decided the bit adapter will once again limit access in most cases on a bike anyway and I'm probably better off with the small one in those cases. Let me know how you like it, I still may get a 1/4" for home use if it's any good.

Last edited:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I have been thinking of a 1/4" bit drive as well.

There are two I am looking at atm.

Wera
1602778267005.png

and

Ares
1602778340191.png

The Ares will also accept the bits in the handle end for greater flexibility.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
This is my favorite little ratchet, I have put way to much force on it and never had a problem.