• Stock shock(with oil change only)

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Custom tuned(shim stacks etc)

Votes: 12 50.0%

• Total voters

mann

Chimp
Nov 12, 2006
Are all of the Pro riders on custom tuned shocks?
I know it does make a difference to custom tune your shock i.e PUSH,BOS,MOJO etc
but is it necessary?
Are there Pro riders that basically ride on stock shocks without having to go thru custom tuning i.e shim stacks bla...bla.... and yet able to produce results on their stock shocks.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
i know some are custom tuned for the bike itself, not nessecarily for the rider. But I have not seen Many pro bikes that have pushed shocks, or Bos stuff. If they are getting custom tuning, I think it is safe to say Its coming from the Manufacturer not an aftermarket company

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
I think most of the pro riders running stock shocks
They change shocks too many times to mess with costume tune them…

pillete

Monkey
Mar 25, 2005
I think most of the pro riders running stock shocks
They change shocks too many times to mess with costume tune them…
I will have to disagree with you. It is known that Pushed has been doing custom tunning for Eric Carter for years. They also will be doing custom tunning for the syndicate this season.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Remember everyone, the question was "Do all the pros run Custom tuned shocks" The answer is NO. Some are, but most are not. Carter, Yes he has been working with Push, But thats isnt most riders. When we talk about Custom tuned shocks Most are refering to something Like what Push and Avy do by not only tuning the shock to the bike, but the rider as well, As far as "Most Pros" go, If anything the shock will be tuned to better fit the particular bike they are riding. Tell you guys what, I will ask a couple of the pros this weekend, I will check out Carters bike, I will check out Kovariks bike and try for Housemans as well. The guys are usually pretty forth coming about stuff like this.

P.S. Prototype shocks dont count.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Laurent from Fox was always fettling with Justin & Jared's suspension, front & rear.
They are Fox's factory riders however...
I would guess the top pros have personalised suspension direct from the suspension company.
I can't see the likes of Hill, Peat etc going to Push or TF...
Maybe wrong tho.

jamesdc

Monkey
May 6, 2007
Most of the pro's are running custom tuned shocks but they aren't tuned by aftermarket companies, the manufacturer of the shocks usually do the custom tuning. There are a few exceptions like EC runs push tuned shocks.

mann

Chimp
Nov 12, 2006
Thanks guys.
I'm one that truely believe that custom tuning isn't necessary.A friend of mine insisted that most if not all riders should custom tune their shocks.Reason being that it gives the riders more confidence due to better shock performance.
I understand that it affects how the bike feels but does it affect how a rider performs?
As DirtyMike wrote, "If anything the shock will be tuned to better fit the particular bike they are riding".One good example is the Sunday thou mine doesn't run with custom tuned shock and yet I'm still fine with riding the bike.Does this mean that I'm a dope?
I'm sure there are Pros that run on stock shocks(perhaps just a change of lighter weight oil only).Hope I can get some good examples to provide proof to the rest of my friends.
Thanks again guys and waiting for updates!

Dave-B

Chimp
Mar 13, 2007
new zealand
there was a artical in dirt (july/august 06) on what the top pros were running.
Its a bit hard to read but you should be able to get the jist of it.
Rennie and Peat ran push internals in the 06 season and most proberly still do.

Attachments

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
there was a artical in dirt (july/august 06) on what the top pros were running.
Its a bit hard to read but you should be able to get the jist of it.
Rennie and Peat ran push internals in the 06 season and most proberly still do.
Rennie and Peaty were both on Vivid's this year, not pushed fox stuff.

All factory supported riders will be on custom tuned equipment form the manufacturer. That is the whole reason the manufacturer has the athletes on their equipment - testing and experimentation.

Fox will do this for all of their factory supported athletes.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
Thanks guys.
I'm one that truely believe that custom tuning isn't necessary.A friend of mine insisted that most if not all riders should custom tune their shocks.Reason being that it gives the riders more confidence due to better shock performance.
you got it wrong, i didn't say that custom valving for EVERYONE. i said well set up (stock shocks) suspension will benefit everyone.

there is a very big difference between what i am saying and what you THINK i am saying. pls read though it again if you didn't pick up the subtlety.

i already have said that most riders will hate the way my shock is set up, and have said over and over that its not for everyone. what i have also said is that well set up suspension set up will give you a significant advantage. any improvement will give you an advantage.

IF you think it wont give you an advantage, then why not just use suspension technology from 10 years ago? of course the suspension of 10 years ago is considered **** today. but thats my point, even tho you may gain what seems like a small advantage in a custom tune. its still an advantage. in ten years time we may look back and think that the suspension we have now is primitive too.

saying that suspension doesn't matter is like saying the sunday you just bought has no advantage over you previous bikes. a good bike will be a combination of good design and well set up suspension.

an advantage is an advantage. big or small.

about the pros, there will run shocks with heavier damping, the faster you ride, the more damping you need. and just because you dont have anyhting 'custom' on your bike doesn't make you a dope, justs shows that you are happy with what you have, which is fine. i am sure if you still on suspension from ten years ago and have never tired or heard about a new product which is better, you will still be happy with what you have.

MttyTee

Monkey
Jun 20, 2007
Back on the east coast!
If they have it available to them from a sponsor (factory or 3rd party) they are running it. A better question would be how many pro's that aren't sponsored are paying for it? My guess is not many, which is sad.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
about the pros, there will run shocks with heavier damping, the faster you ride, the more damping you need. and just because you dont have anyhting 'custom' on your bike doesn't make you a dope, justs shows that you are happy with what you have, which is fine. i am sure if you still on suspension from ten years ago and have never tired or heard about a new product which is better, you will still be happy with what you have.
The faster you ride, the more compression damping you need... rebound doesn't really need to change much unless the spring rate is different.

I think all that truly matters with suspension is that in your head, you're happy with it. It can be the worst setup in the world on a technical level, but if you get more confidence from it it's essentially done its job.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
The faster you ride, the more compression damping you need... rebound doesn't really need to change much unless the spring rate is different.

I think all that truly matters with suspension is that in your head, you're happy with it. It can be the worst setup in the world on a technical level, but if you get more confidence from it it's essentially done its job.
yea, sorry thats what i meant. more compression.

and that was what i was trying to say to mann. as usual, i am just crap at explaining stuff.