Quantcast

Custom Wheelset around 1800-1900

MTBAlex

Chimp
Jun 18, 2008
Campbell, CA
Hey guys,

I'm trying to build a custom wheelset for the trailriding around here. Its got to have 20mm in the front for the fox 40 and a 150mm rear hub. The trails here are pretty smooth so I dont need a burly rim like a Mavic 823. I want to build a relatively light wheelset. And when I do head to a park, I can always throw on some azonic outlaws.

Also does anyone know how the Stan Flows is compare to the DT Swiss EX500? Seem pretty comparable in weight.

Forgot to include grams in the title. I meant a wheelset around 1800-1900grams.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
Same usage - I got a set of hope pro2 and stans flow, fantastic and cheap from wiggle/crc. After 3 months i haven't touched them with a spoke key - which is genuinely amazing for me! I'm sure they aren't totally bombproof, i'm sure that there are lighter wheels but when I factored in cost they were way infront! (And I didn't need to build them, just swap some adapters to suit and bolt them in.)

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Fox 40 is 20mm, other than that, i dont know weight, but the atomlab pimplites are the tried and true DJ wheel of choice, check them out.

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
hopes is what you want when it comes to hubs. they are relatively durable, lightweight, and adaptable.

for rims either the previously mentioned stans or myself and other around here have had lots of success using the mavic 719 from everything from street and dirt jumps to smooth freeride trails.

obviously spokes and nipples will help with the weight to. either dt revs or some sapims to help you out there, possibly ti if you have the cash. and then alloy nips as well.

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
I have nothing productive to add. However, I will say that when I saw "1800-1900" in your thread title, I thought that was the amount of money you wanted to spend. I think you can almost afford an ENVE carbon wheelset with that kind of dough.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I have a set built w/ DT rev spokes and WTB trail wheels. They get some pretty heavy use and are still nice and straight. No idea what they weigh.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
hopes is what you want when it comes to hubs. they are relatively durable, lightweight, and adaptable.

for rims either the previously mentioned stans or myself and other around here have had lots of success using the mavic 719 from everything from street and dirt jumps to smooth freeride trails.

obviously spokes and nipples will help with the weight to. either dt revs or some sapims to help you out there, possibly ti if you have the cash. and then alloy nips as well.
721s sapim spokes, king rear hub, atomlab pimplite front hub

Ti spokes are not worth it, I have them on my Tazer vp. never again

MTBAlex

Chimp
Jun 18, 2008
Campbell, CA
I have nothing productive to add. However, I will say that when I saw "1800-1900" in your thread title, I thought that was the amount of money you wanted to spend. I think you can almost afford an ENVE carbon wheelset with that kind of dough.
Hahaha. I wish I had that much cash to spend On wheels

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
I went for the Hope Pro II (20mm) & Nukeproof Generator(12x150mm) combo laced with Sapim CX Ray spokes on ZTR Flow rims.Not a overpriced custom wheelset and realy light.

Flow rims can be used with tubes,you can only use tubes with a presta valve on the flow rims or you can drill a bigger hole for schrader valve tubes.

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
Seriously - I looked at building a set and it would have cost me nearly double compared to a set built by hope from crc/wiggle. You get straight gauge spokes but really I couldn't find the value in doing it myself and the build was as good as I can do at home, better than most and nearly as good as the best pro builds i've seen. Yes I would have chosen different spokes, but really had to think, an extra $300-$400 for a small weight saving. You have to weigh up the priorities, but for me it was a new xc helmet and full face at super discount internerd rates...