Quantcast

custom wheelset q's

aaronrocker

Monkey
Aug 7, 2008
Washington State
i am in the market for a new wheelset because my revolution prebuilt set is really sh*t. keeps bending and i keep having to true them and they are about out of spokes.

just wondering if you guys have any tips on rims and hubs. maybe a bmx hub so i can run a 1 piece driver. also can i run a shadow interlock chain on a 9 tooth driver?

thanks for any help you can give

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
in the back I ride an Arrow DH rim laced up to a woodman ss hub

its 26" been bombproof for the last two years. heavy though. Arrow makes kick ass rims

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
You can run a Shadow chain on a 9 tooth driver, as long as you have a newer Shadow chain. The old one didn't work, but the new one does just fine. BMX hub wont work on the riot, the spacing is different, but try something bolt on like a Hadley and have the wheels custom built. Handbuilt wheels are awesome!

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
in the back I ride an Arrow DH rim laced up to a woodman ss hub

its 26" been bombproof for the last two years. heavy though. Arrow makes kick ass rims
I have the same setup on my 24 and the same experience.

If you screw that up you need to work on your riding style.

aaronrocker

Monkey
Aug 7, 2008
Washington State
well i guess im gonna have to warp speed get these wheels built up because my damn revolution wheelset **** the bed. ive only been riding them for about 6 months and had them trues and they were about out of threads on the spokes and today i found two poped out and about 6or7 not even threaded at all.

Last edited:

Motoman2100

Chimp
May 6, 2009
Check out nsbikes.com i got the coaster SS rear hub and it rolls realli well, nothing has loosened up on me yet, super strong, Martin Soderstrom runs there stuff so u kno its good :D, they also have a driver version of the same hub if u into the whole micro look.

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
anyone ride the profile mtb hubs or now anything about them.
I ride nothing but Profiles hubs. My 135mm MTB SS has been great so far. I recommend getting the Ti driver if you can swing it. Lightens the hub up a good amount.

nwd_26

Monkey
Nov 29, 2007
Toronto, Onterrible
anyone ride the profile mtb hubs or now anything about them.
A friend of mine and his brother have a set of Profile MTB hubs each.

One of them had his axle snap on a recent ride (though Profile did send him a new one, he pays shipping), which was a little weird, and the other has had chronic Profile wobble, apparently the shims they send him don't quite cure it permanently.

Their front hubs are great though.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
I've been running the 6 speed Profile hub for a couple of years. (same hub as the SS, but with a different driver). They will develop a wobble if you don't keep the axle studs tight. I recommend taking them out and loctite-ing them in when it's new. This will save you trouble down the line. Other than that, great hub. Good engagement, good looks, symmetric flanges build up a dishless wheel. I ran it with an Rhynolite 26 for years on DH, DJ, XC, everything. Rebuilt it to an Arrow FRX when that finally died (no excuses there, I killed the rim in a bad way). Hub's still going strong. Getting rid of the dish helps the strength of the wheel in a big way.

Hadley and Hope also have similar offerings now. There's a Hope one in the classifieds I've been considering for myself, but don't really need it. Link

aaronrocker

Monkey
Aug 7, 2008
Washington State
definatly handbuilt custom set is what im doing but i think its going to be a aircorp ss hub and profile front hub. The rim is still up for debate but it has to be welded seem.