Quantcast

Customer Reviews my butt!!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
You can pretty much ignore any and all product reviews on commercial websites. Popular, expensive or high profit margin products often have the reviews "sanitized" so only the good ones actually stay there.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
IMHO I don't think Newegg's are too artificial. There are lots of low rated items they carry and plenty with no ratings at all.

The problem with MTBR/Newegg/etc is unexperienced reviewers giving the product a good/bad rating simply because they don't know how to use it properly or don't have a good sample set to compare to.

Voluntary surveys and reviews won't completely reflect reality because in general you'll most likely hear from people who really love a product or hate it rather than the full spectrum of opinions. Cognitive dissonance also often biases user reviews.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I have actually seen several instances of reviews of popular products that have reviews that said something to the effect of, "Posting this review again with 5 stars to ensure it doesn't get deleted this time: this product was terrible etc."

NewEgg does seem to have a lot of reviews with a good spectrum but I don't trust that any company out to sell as much product as they can is going to be 100% unbiased in their review editing. It's possible, but I wouldn't trust it.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
NewEgg does seem to have a lot of reviews with a good spectrum but I don't trust that any company out to sell as much product as they can is going to be 100% unbiased in their review editing. It's possible, but I wouldn't trust it.
Yeah its always good to use multiple sources in any rigorous research effort. Amazon, epinions, forums, whatever.

In any case its better than the old days buying blindly on some random criteria or talking to some idiot at a brick and mortar.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
One of my favorite places to read entertaining reviews is apartmentratings.com or something like that. It's quite obvious that the majority of the reviews come from management praising their own property. When the review reads, "the wind blows softly on the velvet carpet of grass while hummingbirds sprint from blossom to blossom..." you can pretty much assume that it wasn't written by the English lit major who is brewing meth in the apartment next door.

I try to be objective, if at all possible I try and get as much information from forums where real people can give honest reviews. If you were wondering what chainguide to get and read 10000 positive reviews on the E13 chainguide then asked in the DH forum you'd get another 10000 positive reviews. On the other hand if you read positive reviews on a Hanebrink fork then asked about it on the DH forum some of the horror stories would make you never want to think the name Hanebrink ever again.