Quantcast

Cut down Maxxis Wetscreams

Lollapalooza

Monkey
Jan 22, 2007
I know that cut down Wetscreams are the cat's pajamas in loose, grassy shenanigans but nobody has ever commented on their ability to grip on rocks, roots, and hardpack. So, to those who are running trimmed Wetscreams, how do they perform when the conditions aren't sketchy?

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
A cut-down 2.5 ST WetScream is one of the best all-round tyres out there.

However, not everyone can afford to shell out money on a tyre that will last one race only. They don't last too long...

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I have some I am running through the winter and they are not good on rocks, especially on wet rocks. I have hit the deck couple of times. Don't think just because Hill runs them in atypical Wet Scream conditions you can too.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
I have some I am running through the winter and they are not good on rocks, especially on wet rocks. I have hit the deck couple of times. Don't think just because Hill runs them in atypical Wet Scream conditions you can too.
i've had the opposite experience. are you running the super tacky or slow reezay version or are you running one of the harder compounds? They aren't going to corner on rocks like a Minion and the tall side knobs will feel a bit different; but they're not uncontrolable. of course there really isn't a point in using them unless you can find some advantage in doing so.

i've used them with no problems at jeepeater in MA(below), Mt. Snow, and Diablo; and they were the tire of choice for pretty much everyone at Maribor this year despite all the rocks.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
i find people have trouble with them because they have the front fold over on them. it comes down to technique. i can still corner pretty hard on uncut wetscreams on the road. just that i can hear them being worn away. :(

not to say they corner like dry tires in the dry, but they are far from 2.5 comp 16s on hard pack.

Lollapalooza

Monkey
Jan 22, 2007
Thanks for the info. The courses around here change from hardpack to loose to rocky and root infested so I'm just looking for a tire that can perform pretty well on all three. Maybe the new Ardent is my ticket.

At a bunch of the Norbas this year the 2.5 wetscreams were the secert weapon for a lot of pros. Word on the street is tons of the fast guys are running them all over the place. From what I hear, Hill runs them in all kinds of conditions and they don't appear to be slowing him down any, and I doubt he'd run them if they did. Dude seems to have a thing for speed and a niche for being the first to the bottom.

Out here in utah they are wicked in the soft and hard packed sand. On slick rock/ parking lots, etc they... believe it or not, in my experience... even seem to hold traction longer than a high roller (I did a test running one of each), but when you lose traction in a drift you also loose it faster, a lot faster, like slipping on ice (on rock, not dirt). Kinda like... now you see it, now you don't. Which can be a bit scary and fun: you're either hooking up like a dream, or in an insane hair raising drift. What I may have liked the most was being able to brake really really late into a corner or tech section and drop a lot of speed instantly. Grabbing a handful of rear brake with a spike is like dropping anchor. It's very nice when you realize that you're entering a section too fast. On dirt, sand, mulch, grass, and small roots they are unreal. Plus, they get bonus points because a dh bike with 2.5 spikes just looks badass. Only disadvantage I can really see is that they wear out really quick and have considerable rolling resistance.

Not saying this will be everyones experience, but that's what I've found in my research with my riding style. Chris loves 'em, and I'm praying all the time for Michelin to release a 2.5 spike soon.

Lollapalooza

Monkey
Jan 22, 2007
At a bunch of the Norbas this year the 2.5 wetscreams were the secert weapon for a lot of pros. Word on the street is tons of the fast guys are running them all over the place. From what I hear, Hill runs them in all kinds of conditions and they don't appear to be slowing him down any, and I doubt he'd run them if they did. Dude seems to have a thing for speed and a niche for being the first to the bottom.

Out here in utah they are wicked in the soft and hard packed sand. On slick rock/ parking lots, etc they... believe it or not, in my experience... even seem to hold traction longer than a high roller (I did a test running one of each), but when you lose traction in a drift you also loose it faster, a lot faster, like slipping on ice (on rock, not dirt). Kinda like... now you see it, now you don't. Which can be a bit scary and fun: you're either hooking up like a dream, or in an insane hair raising drift. What I may have liked the most was being able to brake really really late into a corner or tech section and drop a lot of speed instantly. Grabbing a handful of rear brake with a spike is like dropping anchor. It's very nice when you realize that you're entering a section to fast. On dirt, sand, mulch, grass, and small roots they are unreal. Plus, they get bonus points because a dh bike with 2.5 spikes just looks badass. Only disadvantage I can really see is that they wear out really quick and have considerable rolling resistance.

Not saying this will be everyones experience, but that's what I've found in my research with my riding style. Chris loves 'em, and I'm praying all the time for Michelin to release a 2.5 spike soon.
Nick Van Dine I'm assuming? I think I might just get a pair of spikes and test them out when the snow melts. They're bound to perform well at at least one course (like the second Pomerelle one).

Here are the two cuts I've seen and where I've seen them, both leave the corner knobs full length, and I think both of these guys leave them untouched when it's muddy:

CVD: Tiny bit, like 2mm shaved evenly off of the center two rows.
aids in grip on rock and hard pack.

Strobel: Same basic cut as cvd, but insted of keeping the knob flat
and square on top, luke's were a little bit ramped. Helping more
with rolling resistance and maintianing a large braking surface.

Hope I don't get in trouble for giving away state secrets.

They're bound to perform well at at least one course (like the second Pomerelle one).
The second pomerelle course was a bit flat and pedally, you might get bitten by the rolling resistance, but they would have been a lot of fun in all those flowy turns.

Actually, the first Pomerelle course where you have a bit of gravity working for you, would be awesome with those tires. And Bountiful IS awesome with cut 2.5 spikes. I can't think of any rock sections on either course that would give a spike trouble, and entering stuff too fast in the loose sand with a spike is a little less like having the throttle stuck wide open than a conventional tire.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Here are the two cuts I've seen and where I've seen them, both leave the corner knobs full length, and I think both of these guys leave them untouched when it's muddy:

CVD: Tiny bit, like 2mm shaved evenly off of the center two rows.
aids in grip on rock and hard pack.

Strobel: Same basic cut as cvd, but insted of keeping the knob flat
and square on top, luke's were a little bit ramped. Helping more
with rolling resistance and maintianing a large braking surface.

Hope I don't get in trouble for giving away state secrets.
i would not worry about giving away secrets... that is pretty common knowledge for anyone paying attention at races.

like stated before, in the right condtions they can be pretty awesome. not just in mud, but any time the dirt/sand/grass/etc is soft enough for the side knobs to fully dig in is where they shine. like nick said, they can be a hand full when they loose traction, but this is really only due to the fact that they have a ton more traction to stat with. it is almost a bit scary when you first ride with them in the right conditions... you are way more leaned over and going way faster than normal for muddy/sketchy terrain, and you know that if you loose grip it is gonna get ugly... but once you get used to their limits, as with any tire, they are quite good.

though 80% of trail conditions they are not really an advantage, there are times that they can be quite nice... i always keep a set in the car at races just in case

i would not worry about giving away secrets... that is pretty common knowledge for anyone paying attention at races.

like stated before, in the right condtions they can be pretty awesome. not just in mud, but any time the dirt/sand/grass/etc is soft enough for the side knobs to fully dig in is where they shine. like nick said, they can be a hand full when they loose traction, but this is really only due to the fact that they have a ton more traction to stat with. it is almost a bit scary when you first ride with them in the right conditions... you are way more leaned over and going way faster than normal for muddy/sketchy terrain, and you know that if you loose grip it is gonna get ugly... but once you get used to their limits, as with any tire, they are quite good.

though 80% of trail conditions they are not really an advantage, there are times that they can be quite nice... i always keep a set in the car at races just in case
Fully agree, I wouldn't have posted it if I didn't think it was common knowledge. However, I was really surprised this year at how much wide spread resentment some people have for spikes at the races. It was crazy how many times people rolled thier eyes and scoffed when I'd roll up on spikes, even some really fast guys. I grew up riding in the east coast mud, so never thought twice about it. I've always considered them an essential part of the quiver, but some people really don't like em. I can't figure it out, because I think in the right conditions they are tits. Maybe it's just a matter of taking the time to learn what makes a spike loose traction and how to avoid that. Personally, mounting up my spikes makes me feel just like I do when I pull into the parking lot on a powder day and start lacing up the boots. 'this is gonna be SICK!'

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
i've had the opposite experience. are you running the super tacky or slow reezay version or are you running one of the harder compounds? They aren't going to corner on rocks like a Minion and the tall side knobs will feel a bit different; but they're not uncontrolable. of course there really isn't a point in using them unless you can find some advantage in doing so.

i've used them with no problems at jeepeater in MA(below), Mt. Snow, and Diablo; and they were the tire of choice for pretty much everyone at Maribor this year despite all the rocks.
Don't get me wrong. I like them, but I have had 2 pretty good crashes on courses I know well because they slid on angled rocks. Are they an advantage overall given the right conditions? Yes. But in dry or even moist conditions on rocks, roots, and hardpack (which is what he asked) I'd take Minions.

I ran some cut Wet Screams on a super dry and dusty track this past summer and I think they were a difinate advantage, but that course had neither a single rock, root, and the only hardpack was grass, so the side knobs dug in well.

BTW, I have the ST and 60d versions in 2.5.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
How do you "cut" them?
with a normal pair of diagonal cutters, nothing special.

i've seen tracks where some guys cut the side knobs too, basically to make a less pronounced spike tire; there were quite a few of these at the mt. snow national this year. spikes were a good idea, but the really tall side knobs felt sketchy on that track (probably because you couldn't always tell when you were going to hit the rocks).

Haven't seen the copy of the magazine yet, but from whet i gather Hill used fully cut down wet screams to set his record on the 1:04 track, and it was bone dry.

when compared side by side (well looking down at your front wheel really), the wet scream doesn't look a whole lot different in profile from a minion front; but with longer, smaller tread blocks.

braaaap

Chimp
Feb 27, 2007
Utard
NVD, Craner here... Hey on your spike testing were you running the harder compound? I have been riding wet screams at bountiful for years...Amazing tire when the conditions are right.

braaaap

Chimp
Feb 27, 2007
Utard
Edit...sorry not wet screams at Bountiful , but swamp things. (Swamp dogs)
Anyone ever run Black Turtles?

Okay, they were soft. One thing to keep in mind running a spike is that you will intentionally have to slow down for some stuff. Example wet, diagonal, rocks or large diameter roots at weird angles. However, even on an extremely rocky or rooty course, you are on dirt 75% of the time or more. You may loose a little bit of time in the 10 foot section of super tech, but it balances out when you get to hit the entire rest of the course without using your brakes.

Haven't seen the copy of the magazine yet, but from whet i gather Hill used fully cut down wet screams to set his record on the 1:04 track, and it was bone dry.
Doesn't surprise me, I heard that he won worlds this year on spikes. And rumor is he was the only one running spikes in the dry during the Austrian World Cup round that he destroyed everyone by an insane margin. Don't know for sure if this is true or not, just what I heard, but I'm pretty sure the source is reliable.

DoubleDown

Chimp
Nov 23, 2003
So where does a normal person get these in 2.5? All I have ever been able to find is the 2.2 version...

meca06

Chimp
Sep 19, 2007
Reunion Island
And rumor is he was the only one running spikes in the dry during the Austrian World Cup round that he destroyed everyone by an insane margin. Don't know for sure if this is true or not, just what I heard, but I'm pretty sure the source is reliable.
It's not a rumor it's fact. but he's not the only one ;)

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
the 2.5 wet scream is not easy to find in the US. You could try an English online shop maybe.

I run Wet screams a lot on the steep euro tech trails. The Champery track is made for Wet Screams. When it dries out a bit I like to run a Wet Scream in the front and a Syncros 2.5 front tire in the rear. When you need to slow down fast in the steep wet or dry they are great. Drifting is also fun but you have to be ready and sometimes counter steer for what seems like ages. CVD left some cut spikes over here one year and they were great....... for one more run.
hey Nick

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria

Out here in utah they are wicked in the soft and hard packed sand. On slick rock/ parking lots, etc they... believe it or not, in my experience... even seem to hold traction longer than a high roller (I did a test running one of each), but when you lose traction in a drift you also loose it faster, a lot faster, like slipping on ice (on rock, not dirt). Kinda like... now you see it, now you don't. Which can be a bit scary and fun: you're either hooking up like a dream, or in an insane hair raising drift. What I may have liked the most was being able to brake really really late into a corner or tech section and drop a lot of speed instantly. Grabbing a handful of rear brake with a spike is like dropping anchor. It's very nice when you realize that you're entering a section too fast. On dirt, sand, mulch, grass, and small roots they are unreal. Plus, they get bonus points because a dh bike with 2.5 spikes just looks badass. Only disadvantage I can really see is that they wear out really quick and have considerable rolling resistance.

Sam does not run cut down wetscreams in all conditions. I saw him use these tires in dry conditions in schladming and maribor. For example At Fort W. he ran Minions.

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
Swampthings are very good tires. I like them alot in mixed conditions i.e. wet in the woods yet dry in the open.
I prefer highrollers in mixed conditions and switch to wetscreams if its really muddy/deep. I tried a swampi too, but did not feel a big advantage compard to a highroller in mixed conditions......

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Sorry,but I said North America not UK, would cost a fortune to ship these over !
i would hardly consider $30 to be a fortune, not when 2 tires already cost you $100.

N. American mail-order would stilll charge you $10-24 depending on how fast you'd like them to arrive. My experience with chain reaction is that my order usually arrives in Vermont in about 3-4 days.