Quantcast

Cuttie?

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Please pardon my ignorance but what is a "cuttie"? I've seen the term bandied about but I'm not exactly sure what it means. I'm under the impression that it is a turn where you weight the front end and let the back end hop or drift to square off a tight turn. Is that right? Am I way off?

Thanks.

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
Not sure, but I think it's a rear wheel skid w/o brakes. Wouldn't that be drifting?

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Gotta find my Fundamentals disc - need to work on those.

Is it tough, or a mental game? I can drift/cut the rear wheel loose in speedy turns on when Im on 'autopilot' but never seem to be able to when I make a conscious effort.

Maybe some situps would make em easier?!

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
combination of tough and mental. i can't get 'em, but i don't have much need for them as most of the DH around these parts is on tighter single track with exposure, so bringing the back end around can put you off the ledge.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I practice my singletrack bike riding while riding my bike on singletrack.

Although I'm thinking of creating another highly relevant trend I can put in a video as well.

"nutties" - v. plural - riding off a loading dock with your feet off of the pedals. Should be performed as punishment for those instances when you might think no footers look good when hitting a jump.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I practice my singletrack bike riding while riding my bike on singletrack.

Although I'm thinking of creating another highly relevant trend I can put in a video as well.

"nutties" - v. plural - riding off a loading dock with your feet off of the pedals. Should be performed as punishment for those instances when you might think no footers look good when hitting a jump.
:clapping:

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Gotta find my Fundamentals disc - need to work on those.

Is it tough, or a mental game? I can drift/cut the rear wheel loose in speedy turns on when Im on 'autopilot' but never seem to be able to when I make a conscious effort.

Maybe some situps would make em easier?!

It's hard to learn cos the instinct is that the bike will continue to swing around and dump you on your arse. Go out specifically intending to let this happen a few times and you'll very quickly pick up how hard you can push it. Or practice on gravel, it's very predictable on a DH bike then. The actual movement is not at all hard to do.

I think it's fair to say you can do them well when you can do them with soft DH tyres on asphalt (be warned though, this causes REALLY violent shuddering and a tendency to try and highside you if you're a pussy about it). Feet up of course...

Apr 16, 2006
Golden, CO
can you do these by just bunnyhopping the back end 90* (without the front end coming up, just a moving front wheel pivot) or does it hafta be all driftish?

And what kinda turn are these cutties intended for? a downhill switchback im assuming, like 90* turn or would it be a complete 180*?

i'll just stick to drifting, sliding and hopping the back end around in my vocabulary haha

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
I did one on pavement down my hill once.

It was super scary though...I was turning right and left (pumping the turns) while riding down my hill and my buddy riding behind me, then all the sudden my rear end slid out from pumping and went sideways, and I rode out down the hill for like a second like that and swung it back. My friend said he thought I was going down for sure. sketch.

P.S. I dont own a sunday though...so I guess it wasn't a real Cuttie, ehh?

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
can you do these by just bunnyhopping the back end 90* (without the front end coming up, just a moving front wheel pivot) or does it hafta be all driftish?

And what kinda turn are these cutties intended for? a downhill switchback im assuming, like 90* turn or would it be a complete 180*?

i'll just stick to drifting, sliding and hopping the back end around in my vocabulary haha
No, a cutty is basically an intentional drift. Most people just do them as a practice technique to get used to where the back wheel breaks loose and how to position your body so that the back wheel goes before the front. The only time you'd generally really use them on a DH track is to square a turn off for whatever reason, like coming into a bermed corner at too much of an angle to rail it.