Quantcast

Cutting carboners

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I'm new to the carbon steerer world, and prefer to not fvck up $2,000ish worth of new forks for my bikes if I can help it. Whats the best way to cut the steerers when it comes time? For the 20-25 forks I've installed in the past, I've used a hacksaw or pipe cutter depending on what was available with equal success. I know with the CF a hacksaw will be the only option, but is there anything else I should keep in mind when doing so? I'm assuming slow is the key. Would taping the steerer help in reducing the risk of fraying/taking chunks out of the edge? I've heard a couple horror stories of the edge getting pretty chunked out if you go too fast. I'd like a nice, clean edge if at all possible.

Last edited:

kgm

Chimp
Nov 11, 2012
co
get the higher tpi blade, a little tape doesnt hurt, and measure thrice, cut once!

really not that much different but i put some wet papertowel down to catch the carbon dust. cut smoothly.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
No star nut, compression plug, ENVE, FSA, or go to your trek/special ed store they have all kinds of choices.

Do what I did, if you can, cut an inch higher then your planned length so you can see if your blade is going to tear the ship out of the steerer.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
get the higher tpi blade, a little tape doesnt hurt, and measure thrice, cut once!

really not that much different but i put some wet papertowel down to catch the carbon dust. cut smoothly.
This, also use a guide to make sure it's not crooked and lots of cutting lube cause no one likes to breath CF dust.

I use gloves when cutting CF to prevent splinters. Happened once and that was enough.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
if i can't make jokes about you and bike parts and crabon fibrez and rok sox on the internet, then the terrorists have won
<3.....The terrorists can never take away crabcore, remember that.

First fork install went smooth as buttah. Picked up the right compression plug gizmos from the LBS today, as well as some brand new 32tpi blades. Even broke down and finally bought the Park steerer cut guide, which I always thought was a huge waste of money, but I've never been this paranoid about effing up a fork install. Did a practice cut as suggested by 4xBoy, and was smooth and trouble free. Luckily the real deal was just as good.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
How do you like the 456C? The frame is bullet proof except for the paint which is softer than babycrap. I built mine with 650b wheels. :weee:
Honestly, I've been having more fun on that than I thought I would. It's the first XC/trail hardtail I've ever had, and really only built it up since I had a complete XC build kit left over from my broken Turner Burner. Took 4-5 rides to get used to how to ride a hardtail, but it's getting more and more comfortable, and slowly getting quicker on it. It's pretty light and super stiff and responsive.

Haven't noticed any issues with the paint, then again I really only ride smoothish XC trails with it. I do have the chainstays protected though.

Last edited:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Last edited:

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
The best saw I ever used had a ceramic blade on it. The edge looked like sandpaper. It ground through the carbon instead of biting into it with individual teeth. Polish down the edges with some emory paper and you're left with a very clean surface.

I like the idea above, sealing with watered-down epoxy.

Park makes a cutting guide for steerer tubes which is a nice luxury if you do this often. A pair of old, blocky bmx stems is a nice option if you're going at it with low funds.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Exactly my thoughts.

Many "professionals" are unfortunately somewhat less than adequately skilled.

Magura :)
i've been at shops as a customer (in the time since i used to be a mechanic) several times where i've had to go back into the shop and show them how to use the tools correctly. pathetic.

at this point the only service I need to go to a shop for is facing and chasing, and that's only because I don't want to spend a grand on a set of tools that will get used once every 2-3 years.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
i've been at shops as a customer (in the time since i used to be a mechanic) several times where i've had to go back into the shop and show them how to use the tools correctly. pathetic.

at this point the only service I need to go to a shop for is facing and chasing, and that's only because I don't want to spend a grand on a set of tools that will get used once every 2-3 years.
Agreed, though I'm wary about even taking it in for that. I just pray some overzealous wrench doesn't leave me with a 30mm wide BB.

That and I don't have a park tool FAG. Not will I rebuild rear shock dampers.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
also, when I lived in NJ, i had sort of a deal worked out with the local shop. They'd let me use some of the stuff I don't have (truing stand, headset press), and give me like 50% off what they would charge.