Quantcast

cutting down axles for flush mount?

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
so my khe geisha/rhino xl wheel just got in for my deathmobile and the axle ends are wayy to long for the primo jewles i will run on them (great for grinding and stall tricks) I have both the steel and ti geisha ends and want to grind them down so they sit flush but have no idea on how to do so.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
I was just about ready to do that exact same thing on my profile rear cassette hub. I just have the regular chromo 14mm axle cuz I'm too cheap for ti right now. I want to eventually pick up a flush mount non-drive side (even though I'm running LHD now) with the allen bolt.
I will probably just go to it with a pnuematic angle grinder... unless somebody here advises against it or has a better idea.

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
i havent grinded down Ti studs but done steel more than a few times. something like a die grinder with a cut off wheel or a bench grinder if you only want to take it down a bit. and a 3 sided file work well for cleaning up the threads so the nut goes on smoothly. one other thing that works on cleaning up the threads. turn the nut down on the bolt/axle grind off what you want, then un thread the nut. it may be tight at first but it will shape the end where it was cut nicely so it threads back on normally.

one other thing. if you use a cutoff wheel, put it in a vise the axle will get hot. and bench grinder. use a set of vise grips holding a nut threaded on the axle.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
Even a dremel with a fiber cutting wheel will do the job , jsut remember to were eye protection !
haha, I guess that depends on your dremel apparently! I picked one up a year or so ago just for the car. Battery operated, nice and compact, little case and a nice little outfit of things for it to throw in the vehicle...
Ended up being one of the worst purchases I've made. Read all about it, seemed powerful for a battery version, etc... Well... The thing is WEAKsauce after about the first 15min of battery life, and the worst part is, there is no cord for it, so when my battery runs out, I'm done. Gotta find somewhere to charge a battery for a few hours.
I'm going pnuematic, or at least consistent 110!

Hey Vinny A, you jumped the fence too! haha... welcome to the monkey.

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
The lithium Ion dremel works pretty well. I have two batteries I keep in rotation. When I abuse it, I find it gets too hot to hold before the battery actually runs down ....:cheers:

Def wear some shades, I launch cut off wheels across my house on a weekly basis.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
I just cut down my axles. Took about 5 minutes. painted the tips black to try to prevent any corrosion too.
I'd post up some pics as usual, but I'm on a temp. internet source that is pretty bunk and imageshack is not working atm.

I still want to score a flush non-drive side axle for my SS though... ti is a bit too much for my blood right now.