Quantcast

Cutting Nevegal's

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I have a 2.5 Kenda Nevegal that came with my DH bike mounted on the front wheel. The grip on it is somewhere just short of crap in the dry and dusty terrain in my local area. I have heard that there are 'suggested' cutting patterns that open it up better for cornering.

Does anybody know the 'normal' cutting pattern? Kidwoo?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Cut those intermediate knobs off. Start with every other one and see how you like it. If you still want more, just cut them all off. Leave the center knobs and the sideknobs alone. Lots of guys ran those with every other knob removed (cut the one that sits the closest to the sideknobs first). I like that tire much more with all of them gone.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Also is yours in the stick-e compound or that strange hard compound that wouldnt grip even if the track was made from glue?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Thanks Woo, I'll start with that. And the compound is stick-e. When it grabs on a hard-pack berm it's nice, but the second there is loose on top it gets hairy.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Too many knobs in the way. Spin that tire fast and look at the profile when it's rolling. It's pretty round. And the weird part is the biggest space is between the center and intermediate knobs, not the intermediate and the sideknobs. That's why it grips at light angles (berms) but not when really leaned over.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Too many knobs in the way. Spin that tire fast and look at the profile when it's rolling. It's pretty round. And the weird part is the biggest space is between the center and intermediate knobs, not the intermediate and the sideknobs. That's why it grips at light angles (berms) but not when really leaned over.
Good explanation, thanks! I always had that same problem with those tires.

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
Cut it in half and throw it in the trash. :P

I keed I keed... Echo'ing what Kidwoo says. Cutting every intermediate knob leaves a HUGE transitionary section (which you may or may not like) due to the really round profile of the tire which, to me, was pretty sketchy. The side knobs are are really flexy on the Nevegal so you might wanna try only every-other first and see how you like it.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Cut it in half and throw it in the trash. :P

I keed I keed... Echo'ing what Kidwoo says. Cutting every intermediate knob leaves a HUGE transitionary section (which you may or may not like) due to the really round profile of the tire which, to me, was pretty sketchy. The side knobs are are really flexy on the Nevegal so you might wanna try only every-other first and see how you like it.
Aw come on.....those tires aren't so bad once you completely change what they do...which is suck. :D

drastic.

Monkey
May 16, 2011
pleasanton, ca
i run nevegals in the rear for local rides, so i can save my more expensive tires for the better shuttle spots/resorts, so that i can preserve them a lil longer. for $30, they make due.

i cut every other intermediate knob, and made a noticeable difference. too nervous about cutting every inter. knob, but i've read a few posts online in regards that it performs well.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Resurrecting this thread for a different reason.

I need a tire for riding at highland, so as not to use up my good tires. Highland has two flat turns, and everything else is hardpacked dirt with berms. I need a rear tire, and I discovered a nevergrip 2.3 sticky kevlar tire in my bin. I won't ever use it for anything else.

I'm wondering, if instead of cutting the transition knobs for better bite and better lean/transition, I can cut the center knobs, and get faster rolling and immediate bite of the side knobs, since there won't be anything in their way. In theory, the ideal tire would be a BBG or el Moco....but I don't actually want to pay for those. I don't really need extra braking bite or acceleration, since no amount of bite will dig through that dirt, but it would be great to have cornering traction for the berms.

Is that crazy? Is it worth the effort?