Quantcast

cuz ur prolly lol ppl kewl rofl lmao 4gt...

Je3Re3My

Chimp
Nov 21, 2011
I find this "netspeak" or as George Orwell called it "newspeak" (1984) very annoying to read and also hard to give anyone any serious credit to what they post while using it. This info states that teenagers are using it in spoken language as well as texting or forums.

It just doesn't make sense to bring it into a spoken form, this quote says it all- "Geoffrey K. Pullum of the University of Edinburgh states that even if interjections such as LOL, WUU2 and ROFL were to become very common in spoken English, their "total effect on language" would be "utterly trivial".

The worst, in my opinion, are all the "I am laughing" acronyms: lol, lmao, rofl...I'm not even an old fart and just find all this stuff annoying to read. When I think something is funny I type "That was funny" or "Ha! That was funny" or "That was kind of funny"

Ranting:mad:

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
There used to be a member of Team Fat Kids who wrote entire emails in that drivel. Drove me right off the edge of sanity, which is somewhere I am barely perched on. I finally told him he couldn't be on the team anymore if he sent me another email like that. He did it just to test me, and he got his walking papers. ****ing kids...

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
With writing as bad as that, it's difficult to give you any serious credit. Christ, that's a mess.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
There's missing punctuation, misused punctuation, poor style and broken grammar. I don't even have to be averagely critical to think it's a mess.
I am the worst grammar nazi, but even I know that you're being hyper critical. They are full sentences, no acronyms, basic punctuation/spelling and reasonable grammar. That's all that it needs.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
You know, I don't see really any text speak at work even when using the internal instant message system (besides the occasional "lol"). But it seems that every single person there says "ty" and "yw" instead of thank you and you're welcome. Drives me batty, and I had never seen it before coming to work here.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
I am the worst grammar nazi, but even I know that you're being hyper critical. They are full sentences, no acronyms, basic punctuation/spelling and reasonable grammar. That's all that it needs.
There are problems with every sentence he wrote, and most I had to read twice. The fact that he's complaining about language use makes it even funnier.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I find this "netspeak" or as George Orwell called it "newspeak" (1984) very annoying to read and also hard to give anyone any serious credit to what they post while using it. This info states that teenagers are using it in spoken language as well as texting or forums.

It just doesn't make sense to bring it into a spoken form, this quote says it all- "Geoffrey K. Pullum of the University of Edinburgh states that even if interjections such as LOL, WUU2 and ROFL were to become very common in spoken English, their "total effect on language" would be "utterly trivial".

The worst, in my opinion, are all the "I am laughing" acronyms: lol, lmao, rofl...I'm not even an old fart and just find all this stuff annoying to read. When I think something is funny I type "That was funny" or "Ha! That was funny" or "That was kind of funny"

Ranting:mad:
LOL... FYI UR a Loser ;)

The only one I would use in spoken/verbal communication is "FYI" For example:
Hey, just a quick FYI, Im going to be slow ont eh climbs today because I drank to much last night.

Quoted form this Wiki page you linkded to:
examples of smallhand used in talk mode between 2 terminals, (for example, "BTW", "FYI", and "THX")

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
The OP's comparison of 'LOLZ' to newspeak is a bit of stretch. The former is due to laziness, the latter intentional manipulation of the population for political means.

I find it hard that even 'they' would find a benefit for their own evil ends to get people typing "LOLZ" rather than "I laughed out loud at that".

I found his grammer and structure to be passable but laborious.

That the OP missed both the sarcasm in the initial responses and the irony of his user name makes this thread one of the best reads of my lunch break. Thanks to all who contributed.

:clapping:

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
OMG WTF TCBR.... ROFLMFAO

tccic
rma
hans

What goes around comes around. Back in the 40's and 50's, the words coming out of the mouth's of the youngsters were abhorrent to the ears of the elder generation. With every new generation, the previous generation will bitch and moan about how the young ones speak.

You not liking all this netspeak/newspeak/acronym language just means you're getting old.

DWI

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
And what does a user name have to do with what I am talking about? Gang signs at bank tellers, what the hell are you talking about?
The user name Je3Re3My is about as readable as ksormlbum62lo6d44,7l2;flu/dsu4-gQ. I have no fvcking clue what your user name says and you complain about netspeak. Please contact Syadasti at your earliest convenience for the definition of "irony".

SloMoJo

Monkey
Dec 17, 2002
New England
Frankly, I thing the lad brought a valid point ... and welcome him to share other helpful insights for additional proper RM feedback. :brows:

Ranting:mad:...
1) Sprinkled with superfluous adjectives.
2) First sentence runs on.
3) "...give anyone any serious credit to what they post..." :think: Plz return to grammar 101. srsly.
4) "info" - how is this different from what you call netspeak?
5) Paragraph 2: Economy is why it makes sense, in the same fashion that "is not" and "are not" have been collapsed into the common usage "ain't". Is it trivial? Perhaps. Does it make sense? That will be answered by whether the usage survives.
6) Paragraph 5: Use a space after the ellipsis.
7) We commend you on selecting the usage of your choice when you deem something to be amusing.

We offer you a C- for your explicatory essay.