Quantcast

CVD's Bikes Stolen from PC

VMARTINEZ

Monkey
May 23, 2005
Be on the lookout. Pulled off his Facebook page.

Not cool. Keep an eye out for Chris Van Dine's bikes. And if you happen to confront the perpetrators, please video it for the benefit of the entire internet.
Our garage was hit last night in Park City and all my bikes were stolen, please spread the word and be on the lookout for:

1 Yeti 303 WC Carbon downhill bike, Fox 40, Saint components

1 Yeti SB-66 Carbon w turquoise accents, Fox 34 w XT components

1 Yeti SB-66 Alloy turquoise w Fox 36 Van, Saint components

1 Yeti DJ black w Fox 831, Saint components

Very special bikes, please help me bring these criminals to justice!

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Bike thieves are the scum of the earth, I sincerely hope Chris gets his bikes back and the criminals get what is coming to them. Unfortunately jobs like this seem to be getting more and more sophisticated as well as more common.

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
I never understood how people get away with selling bikes such as the 303WC-C? There can only be what? 10 of those bikes floating around? Do they just sell them to random friends of theirs for like $400 and then they sit in a garage for 10 years?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I never understood how people get away with selling bikes such as the 303WC-C? There can only be what? 10 of those bikes floating around? Do they just sell them to random friends of theirs for like $400 and then they sit in a garage for 10 years?
My bud got a new complete 303 bike in a box stolen off his front porch earlier this year. Then the capital M capital O ron put the bike on Craigslist the next day for $500. The idiot also used the same email address as his facebook account, and the cops pulled it right up to identify him.

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
In terms of protos I can't understand it either like the honda bike that once got stolen and now probably rot in some dusty garage.

But with bikes like the carbon yeti which will hit the trails sooner or later the people who end up buying such a bike just don't have to worry. I mean if I would be on a stolen bike and it would just be modified slightly the chance would be very little that a) someone would stop me on the trail and ask me if the bike is stolen and b) neither would it be likely that I would facy any legal charges if I'm not the thief.

I think that's the reason so many high end bikes just vanish. The thiefes sell them in parts and then the stuff just gets ridden somwhere else and as long as the stuff is not visibly custum made or a proto nobody will notice a thing.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
But with bikes like the carbon yeti which will hit the trails sooner or later the people who end up buying such a bike just don't have to worry. I mean if I would be on a stolen bike and it would just be modified slightly the chance would be very little that a) someone would stop me on the trail and ask me if the bike is stolen and b) neither would it be likely that I would facy any legal charges if I'm not the thief.
Actually, in every state receipt of stolen goods is a crime. Too many "it fell off the truck" deals out there, and if you're buying something like a 303 Carbon, you know a thing or two about bikes. You'd be detained, you'd be questioned, and if you decided to clam up and not say anything, you'd get charged. Or if you played stupid, you'd get charged. This, in my opinion, is a good use of police powers. Ignorance is no excuse.

ods

Monkey
Feb 22, 2008
Port Angeles
We had 4 bikes stolen at one of our races and all we ever found was components. When questioned, they said they cut up and disposed of the frames immediately. Recovering anything without a serial number (ie parts) is impossible.

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
I think frames are too valuable for the thieves to destroy them.

In eastern europe there is a big demand for affordable mountainbike parts and frames and I don't think anybody asks questions there if the price is good.

The thing is that nobody is getting catched. I know only one case were everything got sorted out because the buyer contacted the original owner but that was only possible through chance and it took years for the original owner to get his bike back and I think the buyer lost the bike and the money.

The potential thief (the guy who sold the bike) didn't get charged due to lack of evidence that he actually stole the bike (he claimed that he bought it and didn't know it was stolen and if you don't have a police record you don't get charged for unknown fencing here)

Last edited:

ATBScott

Chimp
Dec 2, 2012
SF Bay Area
Details on these bikes? What size frames at least, etc...? There is a suspect SB-66C for sale in the Bay Area we were informed of this morning - I started searching and found this thread, signed up to reply. So - if the SB-66C is missing still, what size is it and hopefully more build specs, and ideally serial # might help - otherwise this info is waaaaay to generic to nap a perp. Hope you get your bikes back, and if this is one of them we'll be glad to try and help!

Be on the lookout. Pulled off his Facebook page.

Not cool. Keep an eye out for Chris Van Dine's bikes. And if you happen to confront the perpetrators, please video it for the benefit of the entire internet.
Our garage was hit last night in Park City and all my bikes were stolen, please spread the word and be on the lookout for:

1 Yeti 303 WC Carbon downhill bike, Fox 40, Saint components

1 Yeti SB-66 Carbon w turquoise accents, Fox 34 w XT components

1 Yeti SB-66 Alloy turquoise w Fox 36 Van, Saint components

1 Yeti DJ black w Fox 831, Saint components

Very special bikes, please help me bring these criminals to justice!

VMARTINEZ

Monkey
May 23, 2005
Bikes are from Utah. That's all info I had. You can check Chris's facebook and see if he has any more info,
VM

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I think frames are too valuable for the thieves to destroy them.
You are kidding right? If someone stole a bike, it's 100% profit. If they sell the components and destroy the frame, it's still a huge payday. The value to you is not the same as it is to them. Maybe they destroyed it, no way to know unless it pops up. Unless you see it right away on craigslist or in a pawn shop, chances are it's changed hands a few times down the road if you ever see it again.