Quantcast

cvs expertise needed

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
so in /home/user, i've made a dev tree & created a branch, checking stuff in w/ an arbitrary sticky tag.

when i sudo su - <other guy>, i then check out the entire branch & get sh|t done.

later, i have to add another api under the orig /home/user dev tree where i cvs add & commit

go back over to <other guy> & try to cvs up in my identical dev tree, it does not grab the stuff i just checked in & committed.

you think it's in the attic?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
trust me: on the continuum of cvs expertise, i'm well past the 3rd string in depth chart

that, and my go-to man is off today.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
got it:

if you have added a new dir tree to an existing branch, it may be the case you need to add the reference to the file $HOME/CVSROOT/modules (if your dir structure is flat-earth but your design is anything but). follow existing entries for example. save it; commit it; go to other area where you check out & see affected change.

bazinga.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
oh, and if you're referencing libraries that you didn't build (which means they need to be in cvs control), be sure to add them w/ the -kb switch. if you forgot, or need to go back & apply this newfound knowledge,
Code:
for f in $(ls *.so); do cvs admin -kb $f; cvs update $f; done"

oiswego

Monkey
Oct 24, 2005
New Yawk
the first thing that will go wrong is porting to java...
64 v 32---you really won't notice that many differences except for the placement of libraries, and slightly faster execution times.
just be sure that any code that is 64 bit compatible is installed instead of the 32-bit versions, but sadly---not all major apps are 64 bit yet.

i can't even tell you how many times i've called IBM to yell at them for not having a tivoli 64 bit client. i'm sick of having to munge backups into several virtual backups just to complete it.

funny story about java---i was on a job interview recently for a unix admin position. guy that was supposed to be my manager claimed he was really just a java programmer who oversaw the admins. asked if i knew any coding, so i said "sure, i know the basic scripting languages, and c".

to which he replied "c?? talk about a dead language. i can code anything in java and it will be at least 10x as fast as anything in c."

--i walked out at that point, laughing as i left. in retrospect, i should have asked him where his second head was.

i almost expected to him to claim his sneaker-net was faster than the lan

we're migrating from 32bit solaris to 64bit rhel, porting to java, and moving repositories from cvs to svn *at the same time*

what could possibly go wrong?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
<snip>
funny story about java---i was on a job interview recently for a unix admin position. guy that was supposed to be my manager claimed he was really just a java programmer who oversaw the admins. asked if i knew any coding, so i said "sure, i know the basic scripting languages, and c".

to which he replied "c?? talk about a dead language. i can code anything in java and it will be at least 10x as fast as anything in c."

--i walked out at that point, laughing as i left. in retrospect, i should have asked him where his second head was.

i almost expected to him to claim his sneaker-net was faster than the lan
Sounds like it was a place you could have taken over... those are the ripe companies to work for. :D

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
just be sure that any code that is 64 bit compatible is installed instead of the 32-bit versions, but sadly---not all major apps are 64 bit yet.
until we're fully compliant, i intend to get quite a bit of mileage w/ the g++ -m32 switch to step everything down. the real fun will start w/ patching all the endian-ness of the socket code
i can't even tell you how many times i've called IBM to yell at them for not having a tivoli 64 bit client.
w3rd.
we dumped 'em already. seems to be the trend.
a manager type you say? no surprise there.