Quantcast

CX brake chatter

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I have never been able to get my front brake to stop squealing and chattering. I've used different wheels, cleaned the rims, cleaned the pads, changed the pads, cleaned the hardware, changed pad angle etc. a bunch- nothing works. It's really loud and makes me rarely use the front brake.

I've heard of others having the same issues. I ride an Empella Bonfire/Empella aluminum fork with Avid Shorty 6 brakes, Ultegra levers and Open Pro rims.

Any suggestions?

There's a good chance I will replace the fork, brakes and levers for next season, so any experiences would be helpful.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
It is fork chatter, prett common on the vast majority of 'cross forks. As tacky as they are a brake booster plate will eliminate the chatter.

I had an Alan carbon fork with clapped out shorty 6's with red ricthey pads and ceramic rims. You want to talk about chatter? Oh god it was downright terrifying to even consider using the brakes.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
It is fork chatter, prett common on the vast majority of 'cross forks. As tacky as they are a brake booster plate will eliminate the chatter.

I had an Alan carbon fork with clapped out shorty 6's with red ricthey pads and ceramic rims. You want to talk about chatter? Oh god it was downright terrifying to even consider using the brakes.
Hmmm...brake booster might be it; hadn't even thought of using that. I barely use the front brake because it's really bad. I don't even mind the feel issues caused by the chattering as much as the noise that the brakes make. I've toed the pads like 20 times and then put them flat and at different angles to make sure it wasn't that.