CX Conversion Project - help needed!!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
So guys and Gals.

I'm going to be taking the frame and seatpost from this bike:

And converting it over to look something like this bike:

I've already checked and some 700c Hybrid wheels with 38s for tires fit just fine in back.

I have ordered a Mavic Brake adaptor for proper rear brake fitting. I have a nice wheelset coming for it featuring XTR hubs laced to Velocity rims.

I have a stem that will work well and a set of ON One Midge Bars en route as well. I also have a slightly used Project Two CX fork en route just like the one in the "inspiration bike."

Here's the glitch. I would like to run my bike with gears rather than a Single Speed set up as shown in the Inspiration Bike.

Can you recommend a good set up to do so? And if anyone has any nice bits they no longer want that they wouldn't mind contributing (I'll pay!) for this conversion project please let me know.

I was thinking that a set of "brifters" might work best vs going with bar end shifters and separate brake levers.

Also what would you recommend for brakes? I've got two sets of V-brakes and the OEM cantilevers that came on the 1995 Fire Mountain. What would you use?

Also would it make sense to use an 8 speed mtb rear cassette? I'm not going to race this bike or anything so would the friendlier mtb cog selection make more sense? what about a crankset recommendation? should I go with CX cranks or get an inexpensive set of mtb cranks?

I welcome your input, thoughts, recommendations, criticism.

Thanks.

Mark

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Wow that Kona Hot looks nice - that would be such a perfect bike for me. MMcG looks like a great project and I can't wait to see more of it. I have no advice to give though.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
CBJ - if you do a search in Flickr for Kona Hot CXSS - you'll see more images of that bike.

Hopefully mine will turn out half as nice. If it does, I'll be completely satisfied.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
before I make any recommendations, what are you going to be using the bike for? Road, gravel, some dirt with an occasional race? Or maybe a nice all weather commuter?

<edit> how much are you looking to spend as well?

Last edited:

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Are brifters setup to handle V-brakes? I know they work with cantis.

One thing about road cranks(CX cranks?) is the offset. You might have to run a longer spindle to get them to fit which might mess with the chainline. I would stick with mountain cranks.

As far as the mountain cassette, depends where you are planning on riding it. The spacing is pretty wide and for the road/fireroads, I personally like a narrower gap. If you run a compact mountain crank, you can always keep a 32 which should give you plenty of hill climbing range...I run a 32/42 x 11/25 on the cross bike...It's fine because I ride solo, but it is hard to hang with someone with a more traditional roadie setup.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
before I make any recommendations, what are you going to be using the bike for? Road, gravel, some dirt with an occasional race? Or maybe a nice all weather commuter?

<edit> how much are you looking to spend as well?
Looking to get used stuff for it mainly.

I will use it for my local roads, some of which are still dirt roads. I live in a hilly area as well so maybe mtb gearing will be fine.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
unrelated, but what's the model number on those cranks in the first photo? they look like recalled cranks.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I would spec it with older 9 speed road stuff because you can typically find that stuff cheap on ebay. I'd probably run a mix of 105 and Ultegra. Below are some links to ebay items I would watch

Ultegra Cranks - with the older cranks you crank whatever BB width is necessary for the bike.
9 speed 105 STI
105 front
105 rear

For the brakes, v-brakes work fine with the adapter, as Loco mentioned.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I have nothing to add except to point out that the Sweet Wings cranks on the Hot you are trying to copy are friggin' cool and were way before their time.

Mark, I have a 96 lava dome that I had set up as a fixed gear with 700x35s and a hybrid size fork. I just ran a front v brake and a flat bar, but if you plan on using roadie-style STIs i recommend some avid shorty brakes, or at least your original cantis with some fresh pads. I'm 5'11" and was riding the 19" kona frame with a 100mm stem and flat bar. I'm sure i don't have tp tell you, but with a dirt-drop style bar you're going to need a shorter stem than you're used to

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Mark, I have a 96 lava dome that I had set up as a fixed gear with 700x35s and a hybrid size fork. I just ran a front v brake and a flat bar, but if you plan on using roadie-style STIs i recommend some avid shorty brakes, or at least your original cantis with some fresh pads. I'm 5'11" and was riding the 19" kona frame with a 100mm stem and flat bar. I'm sure i don't have tp tell you, but with a dirt-drop style bar you're going to need a shorter stem than you're used to
Thanks - any pics.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
My 2c,
Run 9sp bar end shifters. I went with 8sp on my bike since I got a killer deal on some 600 STIs. I hate them. Way to big of gaps between gears.
I miss my friction barends.

Move the brake tabs yourself. You've been dabbling in framebuilding? No?
It will take about 2 hours.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
My 2c,
Run 9sp bar end shifters. I went with 8sp on my bike since I got a killer deal on some 600 STIs. I hate them. Way to big of gaps between gears.
I miss my friction barends.

Move the brake tabs yourself. You've been dabbling in framebuilding? No?
It will take about 2 hours.
Thanks for the scoop on the 9 speed bar end shifters. I'm just a casual frame building observer - not a budding builder.

And wouldn't moving the brake tabs mean a repaint of the frame and whatnot? Seems like it would be a lot more expensive than waiting a bit for a $25.00 brake adaptor and it would still allow me to use 26" wheels on the bike as well, so I'll stick with that route.

Thanks though! :thumb:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I thought I'd update this thread a bit.

So I found out that some FMF V-brakes have been successfully used on 650b mtb conversions so I thought to myself.......hmmmm.......I wonder if they'd work with 700c rims too. Sure enough - they just fit!

The tire on the rear wheel is on their for "testing" purposes only and it is a 700cx38c hybrid tire off an older Trek Hybrid. I plan on running some 700cx32s or 35s I think.

But as you can see - I have solid mud clearance on the frame. Again this is more of a road/dirt road conversion vs a true CX race bike concept so keep that in mind.

The remaining missing parts of the puzzle include:
1. A short 70 to 80mm stem with a good amount of rise (30 to 40 degree maybe)
2. Still haven't decided on a crankset to use yet
3. Need a Shimano rear derailleur to work with the bar end shifters that are en route
4. Need to decide on bar wrap for the On One Midge Bars

I welcome input and continued suggestions/recommendations on the items listed above.

Cheers,

Mark

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
If you do not run brifters, I think Cane Creek and others make a drop lever that works with v brakes.

I totally missed this thread, whats the bike you are putting it on? The picture in the first post is not showing.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
If you do not run brifters, I think Cane Creek and others make a drop lever that works with v brakes.

I totally missed this thread, whats the bike you are putting it on? The picture in the first post is not showing.

I have some DiaCompe levers en route with some bar end shifters from a guy in San Fran (via the Serotta forum)

And here is the bike that is being converted over:

I welcome input on crank choice.

Best,

Mark

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Still looking to stick with standard mountain cranks? I bet you could find some inexpensive LX or similar cranks on ebay. Shimano Octalink stuff is great in my experience- pretty cheap and lasts a really long time.

Looks like a threaded stem, right? Shops often have a stem box, spares or otherwise old stock threaded stems that they are happy to get rid of. Who wants a threaded stem these days?

Any Shimano rear mech should work. Are you going to be using 9 speed? Don't have any to sell because...well, they break a lot...

I have been using Fizik bartape for a few years now and like it better than standard cork tape.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Still looking to stick with standard mountain cranks? I bet you could find some inexpensive LX or similar cranks on ebay. Shimano Octalink stuff is great in my experience- pretty cheap and lasts a really long time.

Looks like a threaded stem, right? Shops often have a stem box, spares or otherwise old stock threaded stems that they are happy to get rid of. Who wants a threaded stem these days?

Any Shimano rear mech should work. Are you going to be using 9 speed? Don't have any to sell because...well, they break a lot...

I have been using Fizik bartape for a few years now and like it better than standard cork tape.
I removed the original fork and installed an Am Classic headset and Project Two CX fork up front. This frame was 1 and 1/8th threaded so it was easy to "update" it a bit.

freemtnrider

Chimp
Feb 22, 2008
On the Shore by Bay
Check these out

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Shimano-Single-Speed-SS-DX-Crank-175mm_W0QQitemZ150322756376QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCycling_Parts_Accessories?hash=item150322756376&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72:1205|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

I have a set of the normal DX cranks on one of my CX bikes.
They are 110 bcd to give you a smaller inner ring.
As far as what rear mech to run... whats on there now? STX? they last forever why not use that? The long cage will allow you to use a mountain rear cluster and a big gap in the front rings. I run a 11-28 rear and 34-48or50 front with a long cage 9spd XT mech and the DX cranks.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I've got my eyes out for some Suginos like that via ebay.

I'm also waiting a price quote on a guy with some 172.5mm Ritcheys! I hope his price is good.