Quantcast

cx question......

nightfall

Chimp
Apr 26, 2006
I'm looking for cyclocross bike but really can't afford to have a road and xc specific bike. So I'm wondering what would be the most versatile bike for my money? Something I could just swap the tires on depending on the type of riding I'm doing?

nightfall

Chimp
Apr 26, 2006
There both important, but for majority of the time it would be used for road/ getting around the city/ etc.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
im still wondering why CX and XC are together they have nothing in common and XC is obviously 10x better the CX
End yourself.

A light XC hardtail (26 or 29, doesn't matter) with a spare wheelset sounds like what you need. Buy one, build it light, buy an extra pair of wheels and throw some slicks on. Voila, city bike. If you're just commuting/putzing around town you'll be fine. Don't count on any prolonged road rides, though.

A CX bike sucks to trailride, but if you must go that route, there's no better bang for the $$$ than a Redline Conquest...I have one and love it.

elf 232

fewchur serjin
Jan 5, 2007
Im in your head
End yourself.

A light XC hardtail (26 or 29, doesn't matter) with a spare wheelset sounds like what you need. Buy one, build it light, buy an extra pair of wheels and throw some slicks on. Voila, city bike. If you're just commuting/putzing around town you'll be fine. Don't count on any prolonged road rides, though.

A CX bike sucks to trailride, but if you must go that route, there's no better bang for the $$$ than a Redline Conquest...I have one and love it.
prob is that light XC bikes are pretty expensive

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
CX is comparative to some bipolar kid who doesnt know what he wants to do, road biking or XC, but cross country is like a doctor who has his master's degree in brain surgery and knows the exact thing he's going for, great dropoffs on long trails.
Do you have any idea what you're talking about? And please, don't try to use yourself in bizarre analogies. 'Cross is a very different type of racing than anything else.

It's not tough to build up a sub-22lb hardtail out of used parts for well under $1000.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
I have a crossbike that does just fine for road riding. The main difference is a little more relaxed head angle and maybe a little more BB clearance. I also really like that I can run wider tires than I can fit on a road specific bike.

CX is comparative to some bipolar kid who doesnt know what he wants to do, road biking or XC, but cross country is like a doctor who has his master's degree in brain surgery and knows the exact thing he's going for, great dropoffs on long trails.

If you don't have anything to contribute then why don't you just not post.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
if you are looking for a good yet inexpensive cross bike then get a redline conquest. they have a good build all in the right spot. it you are looking to spend a little more you got alot more option out there but the redlines are still some of the best deals going. that are light and strongs, but they are pretty much no thrills