Quantcast

CX updates

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I'm going to have to build up a single speed cross bike for next year.

Single-speed 'crossers to gather in Portland
By Promoter's release
Posted Nov. 3, 2008

The premier event for single speed cyclocross enthusiasts returns to Portland this weekend, November 8th and 9th. A weekend of racing dedicated solely to those who race with just one gear, the Single Speed Cyclocross World Championships (SSCXWC) gathers top-level racers from across the country and beyond to compete for the top prize in this category. Registered riders include Adam Craig, Ryan Trebon and returning champions Wendy Williams and Barry Wicks.

Saturday, November 8 will see perhaps the one of the most unique events in cycling. A top secret qualifying race for the Single Speed Cyclocross World Championships, the course and its demands must satisfy the stringent requirements of a world class race and then turn it on its head, spin wheelies around it and plunge it into the eerie depths of human creativity that is single speed cyclocross.

The only two pieces of information disclosed about the qualifier, aside from the date and that it is in Portland, are that it will be a time trial format and each racer must use the same BIKE as in the final race. All qualifiers will return Sunday at Portland International Raceway for the championship race and general cyclocross mayhem.

This year, returning reigning champions Wicks and Williams have obligations to fill before they can step up to the start line. Each winner must present his/her championship tattoo before registering. Williams completed her ink job late last month. It remains unknown if Wicks has complied with the stringent requirement.

Advertisement
Continuing the long and prestigious one-year tradition of SSCXWC, the event epitomizes maverick in a way the Vice Presidential hopeful Sarah Palin could never imagine. While one can see Washington State from the race course and most rules of cyclocross racing remain firm, this race has created its own rules and regulations, be it starting positions, qualifications, course routing and obstacles, or prizes. Expect the unexpected. Precedents do not apply.

The weekend will be filled with all kinds of cyclocross racing. The Cross Crusade, the world’s premier cyclocross series, holds a race at Portland International Raceway on Sunday November 9.

Following the Cross Crusade events will be the SSCXWC. At the end of it all, two single speed champions will be crowned. A custom frame from Vanilla Bicycles/Speedvagen awaits the men’s winner and a Tony Pereira frame for the women’s champion. Both frames are hand built in Portland.

All registration and other information can be found at the event’s website www.sscxwc.com.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA

Laying out courses for our Alley-Cross series out the backdoor of the office... MX trails, burnt out factories, abandoned rail yards... all ya need really!

Actually been getting out on the real CX course as well... about what I expected, with almost no real training all year, I ride around at the back of the field, but still have a ball..

Just finished packing up a pallet of CX frames to head over the oceans...

Colors in Green, Black and a few Purple...

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I'm getting my BS in biology with a minor in chemistry. I thought I wanted to go to med school. Turns out I like to race my bike more ;)
:rofl:

I found that out as well, thats why I took a job with the state.....allows me lots of time to ride my bike!

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Anyone racing this weekend? We are finally have cross weather. We had a smaller race in town yesterday and I was hoping I could contend for victory...When I rolled up Jason Sager was standing there (he won the NUE series). Oh well I thought. The race went well for the first two laps and I was trailing about ten feet behind the two leaders when I crashed on a wood bridge and that pretty much took the wind out of my sails. I gouged my knee and hip open. I rode a reasonable pace to keep my placing and ended up third. Now I have to race today with an injured knee :(

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
Anyone racing this weekend? We are finally have cross weather. We had a smaller race in town yesterday and I was hoping I could contend for victory...When I rolled up Jason Sager was standing there (he won the NUE series). Oh well I thought. The race went well for the first two laps and I was trailing about ten feet behind the two leaders when I crashed on a wood bridge and that pretty much took the wind out of my sails. I gouged my knee and hip open. I rode a reasonable pace to keep my placing and ended up third. Now I have to race today with an injured knee :(
He used to crucify the XC races down here. Hope the knee is ok. If it's any consolation, I rode 35 miles with the kid in her trailer and want to cut my legs off. I miss the Foxtrot for that duty. Glad you are using it. Post pics of all of the dents. :D

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
I'll be leaving shortly for our local UCI (C2) race. Hopefully i don't get lapped ;)
Didn't get lapped. Flatted 23 minutes in. :rant:

I don't know if the tube gods hate me or not, but here's what happened: I began to warm up, and flatted. I got a spare wheel from the wheel pit, and pinched the tube on a root. Then I swapped back to my original wheel, which had a new tube in it, then flatted during the race. There was $2300 to the top 25, and I was easily top 20, maybe 15, so I would have at least gotten $17. :bonk:

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I don't really understand the PNW
Say what?? PNW kicks a**! We have the largest races and the most unique group of people racing. :) You should come out sometime

<edit> here is a picture from earlier in the day....I'm the smurf

Last edited:

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
This weekend finished out the Cross Crusade series with a fun course. Despite the weather being nice and warm we had a lot of mud. This race was our State Championship as well, I did alright and ended up 17th. The bummer is that I dropped from 19th to 21st in the overall standings :( I had a goal of top 20 for that series and I've watched that goal slip as I had mechanicals...oh well, I guess there is always next year.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I need to get better starts. :rant:
Start doing sprints (although its a bit late for this year). I actually did nail 20th in our big series, so I get paid :) I'm happy. I placed second on Saturday and extended my lead in the small Eugene series. I have enough of a lead that I should be able to win the series (assuming no mechanicals)

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
We had a good race today, overcast, warm and wet enough that the ground tacked up. We also had some good competition with many traveling from central and northern Oregon. The pace was pretty brutal from the start and we had a lot of lead changes. With three laps to go it was down to me and one other guy and he attacked and I couldn't stay on his wheel. I saved something for the last lap and took off, but he did as well and actually gained some more ground on me :( I ended up getting second and pretty much sealed the deal for the series win. As much as I love cross, I'm looking forward to a break from racing after the Dec. 14th.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
I raced in 80 degree temps. I sucked balls. I made sure I got a better start position, only to stand there for 25 minutes and end up sucking during the race. I almost got lapped. Ah well. I'm going to do one last race next weekend then throw the bike on ebay while cross bikes are still worth something :( ...gotta fund next year's roadie.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I raced in 80 degree temps. I sucked balls. I made sure I got a better start position, only to stand there for 25 minutes and end up sucking during the race. I almost got lapped. Ah well. I'm going to do one last race next weekend then throw the bike on ebay while cross bikes are still worth something :( ...gotta fund next year's roadie.
80 degrees!!?? Damn, thats hot for this time of year! I probably would have carried a bottle. Are you gonna race next year?

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
Im out. Have been for a while. Pulled a hip muscle of some kind and it still freeking hurts. :(

There was about 6 inches of snow on the ground this Saturday, I wonder how the race went?

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
80 degrees!!?? Damn, thats hot for this time of year! I probably would have carried a bottle. Are you gonna race next year?
I should have carried a bottle. Ah well. I've been bitten by the 'cross bug so I'll most definitely be racing next year.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
The Portland USGP race kicked off yesterday and I was foolish enough to race :) I registered late and ended up in the back row. Things went downhill right from the start. I went hard to jockey for position and I ended up cramping really bad. I felt horrible most of the race and I was lapped (and pulled) towards the end of the race. Funny thing, when I came down to the pull area a UCI official blows a whistle and points at you....yes, yes I know I suck. I'm going to race today as well and try to finish the race without getting lapped.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Well....today went a hell of a lot better! I placed 22nd and was paid (not very much). The race was very muddy and a hell of a lot of fun. The spectators were nice and roudy. :) Here is a pic

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I heard lots of cheering, where were you standing? I needed every bit of encouragement :) Did you see any of my crashes? There were plenty

Saturday I was up at the big turn after the mud pit, by the barriers, and along the finish line. Tough race man.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Saturday I was up at the big turn after the mud pit, by the barriers, and along the finish line. Tough race man.
ugh, I got lapped that day....you didn't come out for the mess on Sunday? Sue Butler placed third...the crowd was going wild

<edit> thank you for cheering for me...sorry I didn't do better the day you were there

Last edited:

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
Lucky. We didn't get a single splattering of mud in any of our races, let alone snow.

Now my season is over and the bike is for sale. :(