Quantcast

Cya Saints, hello Codes and Carbons

Urinal Mint

Monkey
Oct 10, 2003
Washington
After a bad spell with Saint brakes, I am selling them and moving to Avids. I have always been a firm believer in Saint brakes, but it seems something has happened to their brake pads. I have gone through six sets of pads in the last year between my two bikes. My most recent set lasted one week before the pads crapped out.

So, here is my question: I want to run Code calipers with Juicy carbon levers. I have heard this is the way to go if you're going to run Codes. I want to outfit the set with Goodridge, but goodridge only offers fitting kits for Juicy 5/7. Do Juicy 7 levers have the same fittings as Juicy carbon levers? Thanks! I'm open to other suggestions too!

Urinal Mint

Monkey
Oct 10, 2003
Washington
Never mind my question. Got it figured out. Juicy 5, 7, and carbons all have the same lever fittings for those who may be curious. Has anyone else tried a Code caliper/carbon lever setup?

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
All the Juicys and the code 5s use the same lever body. Your issue may arise at the caliper end. BTI lists 2 different avid hoses, one for the Juicy and one for the code. I ordered both and they should be here today. I can check out the differences for you.
Money wise, I suggest ordering the Code 5s. They are super cheap and are within grams of the code/carbon frankenbrake setup.
I also don't think they NEED goodridge lines to perform well.

Urinal Mint

Monkey
Oct 10, 2003
Washington
Just curious.......which shimano pads were you using?

The resin pads have pretty much always sucked. I've got shimanos on four bikes and haven't noticed anything wierd with the metal pads at all.
I went from resin, to metal to half resin half metal...same issue every time. Maybe I'll give the metals one more chance before I bail. I'm just really fed up with this crap!

Urinal Mint

Monkey
Oct 10, 2003
Washington
All the Juicys and the code 5s use the same lever body. Your issue may arise at the caliper end. BTI lists 2 different avid hoses, one for the Juicy and one for the code. I ordered both and they should be here today. I can check out the differences for you.
Money wise, I suggest ordering the Code 5s. They are super cheap and are within grams of the code/carbon frankenbrake setup.
I also don't think they NEED goodridge lines to perform well.
That's strange...there's a different hose for codes and juicy's? Are you talking about goodridge housing or stock housing? I'm going to order the caliper and lever assemblies separately then use goodridge housing with code/juicy fittings.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I went from resin, to metal to half resin half metal...same issue every time. Maybe I'll give the metals one more chance before I bail. I'm just really fed up with this crap!
What do you mean by 'crapped out' exactly? The resin pads have always worn quickly. All the metal ones I've used last easily as long as the avids and hayes metal pads I've used. Not saying there hasn't been something that's changed, just that I haven't seen it.....and I gots lots of shimano brakes;)

One thing I have noticed specifically about the resin pads is that they're next to useless when things get wet. Even using them half and half. They claim better braking in dry conditions than the metal ones, but I can't tell a difference. I HAVE noticed a diffrence with even just one resin pad after something as minor as riding through a puddle. To be honest, I'm not even sure why they bother making the resin ones.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
What do you mean by 'crapped out' exactly? The resin pads have always worn quickly. All the metal ones I've used last easily as long as the avids and hayes metal pads I've used. Not saying there hasn't been something that's changed, just that I haven't seen it.....and I gots lots of shimano brakes;)

One thing I have noticed specifically about the resin pads is that they're next to useless when things get wet. Even using them half and half. They claim better braking in dry conditions than the metal ones, but I can't tell a difference. I HAVE noticed a diffrence with even just one resin pad after something as minor as riding through a puddle. To be honest, I'm not even sure why they bother making the resin ones.
also, how much do you weigh? what bike and what kind of riding? what kind of shape are your rotors in? if your rotors have burrs on them, that could be whats eating your pads.

Urinal Mint

Monkey
Oct 10, 2003
Washington
also, how much do you weigh? what bike and what kind of riding? what kind of shape are your rotors in? if your rotors have burrs on them, that could be whats eating your pads.
I weigh a scant 130 lbs...IH 7Point, freeride/DH. The pads aren't wearing away, they simply just stop gripping. They work great for a while (up to a month), but literally overnight, I'll take my bike out for a ride and they wont grab. They just squeek and moan and feel like crap. I have no idea why this would happen, but it is annoying the hell out of me!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
You might want to check your caliper and make sure you don't have a bad seal allowing fluid to seep out onto the pads.

The 'overnight' thing kind of points to that......and it happens to ALL brand of brakes.

I did have a pair of xtrs do this to me but they were used regularly for about 4 years before it happened. It's an easy fix.

Take the caliper off, remove the pads and put in that little yellow piston blocker that comes with shimanos (or any impediment to the pistons contracting will work, just something that's at least as wide as a rotor). Squeeze the lever and hold it for a while. Look in the caliper with the blocker out of the way and see if you see any fluid. If not then stick a tissue or piece of toilet paper between the pistons and see if there's any fluid in there.

I honestly don't think it's the pads.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I weigh a scant 130 lbs...IH 7Point, freeride/DH. The pads aren't wearing away, they simply just stop gripping. They work great for a while (up to a month), but literally overnight, I'll take my bike out for a ride and they wont grab. They just squeek and moan and feel like crap. I have no idea why this would happen, but it is annoying the hell out of me!
try cleaning your rotors too. You may even want to try burning them (small propane / butane torch) to get any residue off. If you do this, take the rotors off your bike and be sure to hold them with a pair of pliers.

Urinal Mint

Monkey
Oct 10, 2003
Washington
Yep, tried all of that too. I have checked for oil leaking into the caliper body, and that doesn't seem to be an issue. Also, the fact that this is happening on both of my bikes with saint brakes, front and rear, seems like more than a coincidence. And the brake on my hardtail was only a month old before the pads lost their grip. Put metal ones in, cleaned the rotor, and a week later, same thing happened. No leaks, nothing seems to be wrong, yet something is going on...there is no reason for my pads to die so quickly.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yep, tried all of that too. I have checked for oil leaking into the caliper body, and that doesn't seem to be an issue. Also, the fact that this is happening on both of my bikes with saint brakes, front and rear, seems like more than a coincidence. And the brake on my hardtail was only a month old before the pads lost their grip. Put metal ones in, cleaned the rotor, and a week later, same thing happened. No leaks, nothing seems to be wrong, yet something is going on...there is no reason for my pads to die so quickly.
You don't dip your bike in triflow to stop the little creaks it makes do you :D

Those brakes are hosed. You should sell them.......but only for really cheap

dibs:D

I think I'm out of ideas. But the fact that this happens 'overnight' makes me think you've got something contaminating your pads.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I just got both the code and the juicy brake lines in my hands.
The Code line is symmetrical, using a traditional nut and olive fitting at both ends. The Juicy line uses this fitting at the lever but has a swivel built in at the caliper end.
To make it more confusing, the Code still uses the swivel, but it's a separate part. I think you could make either brake fit a code caliper, provided the caliper came with the swivel piece.

Urinal Mint

Monkey
Oct 10, 2003
Washington
You don't dip your bike in triflow to stop the little creaks it makes do you :D

Those brakes are hosed. You should sell them.......but only for really cheap
dibs:D

I think I'm out of ideas. But the fact that this happens 'overnight' makes me think you've got something contaminating your pads.
I am going to sell them...Goodridge, straitline levers and all. I can't take this anymore. Perhaps the next person will have better luck than me. Maybe there's a triflow gremlin that sneaks into my room at night and douses my pads with lube. That must be it. I'm a gear whore too, so I'm excited to try out some avids.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
If the pads are just glazing up,then rub them on some concrete or file them and put them back. This would happen with any brake though. Just run the metal pads.

Cult Hero

Chimp
Dec 28, 2007
Santa Barbara
I run a metallic and resin in each caliper to stop the squealing I get with full metallic. Living in Santa Barbara gives me plenty of access to burn through brakes and I haven't had an issue with burning through the saints and they have been on a year.

I am sure you have tried this, but I hit my pads with a grinder just to take the glaze off about once a month.