Quantcast

"Cycle Dog" Sustainable Collars and Leashes

Ridemonkey.com

News & Reviews
Jun 26, 2009

Cycle Dog is coming to outfit your pup with oh-so fashionable, sustainable, and affordable collars and leashes. Read on for the product review and some background on the local company.

There are only a few things more important to a bike lover than the quiver of bikes shedding dirt in the living room – namely the dog, happily panting and shedding more dirt in the living room. The “man’s best friend” moniker still rings as true as it did when you got your first puppy, and the dog is a constant feature at the truck after a ride, on the trail, and the loyal cheering squad at all the local races. All cyclist love new gear right? Much like my bikes, the dog gets decked out in the latest and greatest gear - a glorified friendly and furry bike accessory!

Chili models her Cycledog Collar

What else do bike enthusiasts love more than their bikes and dogs? Beer! Cue the happy Portland duo of Lanette and her husband Paul. This creative couple opened Cycle Dog six months ago and it couples a bike lover's favorite things: bikes, dogs, and beer and enables your dog to truly fulfill his destiny as man’s best friend. His Cycle Dog collar has a patented bottle opener/leash loop called the “Pup Top”, an ingenious accessory for trailside beer breaks or an impromptu drink at the park.

As if the Cycle Dog collar couldn’t get better, it is constructed from used bike tubes, recycled from Portland area bike shops. There’s nothing worse than tossing all those dead tubes, and Cycle Dog has stitched them into beautiful, recycled fashion accessories for the pooch. Because the collars are composed almost entirely of rubber, they hold up in water, don’t pick up that typical dog collar funk, and wash off easily. Cycle Dog has introduced a number of terrific nylon patterns and buckle options for discriminating tastes, and also offers leashes also constructed from recycled tubes.

Attention to detail is great!

Cycle Dog owners Lanette & Paul opened the company after moving forward from a career with Nike, and the operation is booming in the living room of their Portland home. The Nike background gives her an attention to detail and a high quality of construction, ensuring your Cycle Dog collar is going to last several seasons.

A great view of the tubes hiding under the nylon wrapper.

Chili, the fantastically awesome pup belonging to Transcend Orange Team rider Liana Gregory, has tested out the pink logo quick release collar, it looks terrific and is easy to adjust. With the cycling season almost here, I’m confident that this collar is going to come in handy on upcoming rides, replacing the awkward assurances of Ms. Gregory's abilities to use a Subaru door to open a beer.

The Pup-Top!

Chili's collar has been through hikes in monsoon-like conditions, downhill rides with mud up to her hips and backcountry ski tours where she was neck deep in Ullr's masterpiece all day long. Her Cycledog collar still hasn't developed the funk that her other collars seemed to gain within a week or 2 of being worn in the PNW. Success!

Cycle Dog collars and leashes are making their way into pet stores as well as bike shops around the country, and will be made available to retailers through Quality Bicycle Supply. Although the price tag is a little high for a dog collar (MSRP $21-25), it seems justifiable when you consider they’re made 100% by hand and help keep unwanted tubes out of landfills.

This is a terrific product from great people. Check out their website for more information: www.cycledog.com

Looking good, staying clean and no funk despite the PNW's best attempt.

Attachments

JettAustin

Chimp
May 17, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Great to know that Cycle Dog is also available there in Canada. I could just ask my girlfriend to buy one for our Labrador. My only question is, do they also come in other design or color perhaps?

Hope to hear from you soon.